Thursday, August 26, 2021

Recipe for Rubber Stamp Cleaner

   Good morning everyone,

 Those of you that use rubber stamps do you get frustrated with those small stamp cleaner bottles?

   I have tried numerous brands over the years, and I have not found one cleaner bottle where the little fabric piece on top does not tear off-almost immediately. Very frustrating for me.

  So awhile back I looked online for options. I found a stamp cleaning set up that was a tray and a scrubber, but at my age especially I didn't want to get that "sophisticated" I guess smiles.

   I got to thinking "our" Elizabeth makes allot of things for her crafts instead of buying them so I looked for recipes-and found several videos and recipes to make your own cleaner.

  I decided on a recipe, bought a spray bottle and now I am all set-and it works great.

I couldn't find the baby shampoo in a very small bottle so I used Dawn dish soap-Dawn is awesome for everything it seems and is gentle too

    Baby shampoo-1 teaspoon

   Glycerin-2 tablespoons

   Distilled water-enough to almost fill an 8 ounce bottle.

I didn't find a small spray bottle in my near by stores so I just picked up a large one and doubled the recipe-it works great for cleaning my stamps.


    This price sticker on this bottle was super sticky and wouldn't come off so I just put some masking tape over it


This is my bottle that I am working on getting used up (no more fabric cover on top) if I could have gotten the top off I would have just added it to my above bottle

 
Since I filled up my journal book, I grabbed this German cookbook to use next for the AJJ challenges. I loved the name from the previous owner-my Mom's name was Altha and her Mom's name was Ada and Grandma's parents were from Germany- So I think this is a good choice

I have been working in spiral cookbooks, so will see how this one works out


This cook book measures 6" x 9" so a good size for AJJ


Happy Thursday

6 comments:

  1. Clever solution.
    Nice mist spray bottles I bought at a local drug store, and a Dollar General store. Both work well. For art projects, the cheapest one has the softest spray.

    Happy Stamping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the tips-where we live now there are no small stores like that-well there is a dollar general which I have never shopped in before-will check that out thanks

      Delete
  2. I use Dawn for everything. I think this is a great formula. Distilled water is very important because tap or even filtered water will mold over time. If this is for dye ink, it sounds great. I think this might work for pigment ink, too. If you are using Staz-on, I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. I never use Staz-on on acrylic stamps. The alcohol (and most cleaners for solvent based inks like Staz-on) will eventually turn the acrylic stamps to mush.

    BTW, saw the Dollar General advice. Be aware, they are NOT cheap, even though the name implies it. Their products, on the other hand are what I would call inferior unless they are name brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use Staz-on inks, I was thinking dawn would be perfect too. I only use rubber stamps on wood.
      thanks for the tip on the dollar general stores-I was never big on stores like that

      Delete
    2. Be careful with the Staz-on removal. Just get alcohol, it's all you need to remove Staz-on ink from the red rubber. I use 91% because that is what I have.

      My friend Scott bought me a plastic bucket at Dollar General because it was close. He paid $5.00 for it. It holds six quarts. You be the judge. I was actually appalled at the price. I could have gotten one for 2-3 dollars at Wal-Mart or even one of the grocery stores in the neighborhood.

      Delete
    3. thank you Elizabeth, so that means I don't really need this cleaner? just the alcohol for my rubber stamps--that's easy I used to be able to get really nice heavy duty buckets from wal mart's bakery dept for only a dollar or two-but they stopped letting those get sold-sigh

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit