Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Gluten Free Banana Bread Baking and Threading the Loom

    This is my second post for today, the one before is a video of Missouri's 200th birthday fireworks party.

    I know it is way too hot to be baking, but we had 4 bananas left and they were on the way towards getting over ripe so I decided to search for a new recipe to bake us up a banana bread.

    Here is the recipe I used. The title says super moist and it is. I think this is one of the better gluten free banana bread recipes I have baked up.

       Of course I did make some changes-I almost always need to for the both of us. Instead of sugar I used half coconut sugar and half keto brown sugar sweetener, instead of all butter I used half butter and half coconut oil, instead of chocolate chips I used 1/2 cup of raisins and dried sour cherries that I soaked in warm water first. I added 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract and banana extract. I also had picked up a jar of dried banana and added around 1/2 teaspoon of that too.

  well it seems blogger decided to load my photos in reverse haha

  



This is a bread baking pan I bought from King Arthur Flour many years ago now, that they designed for gluten free breads to help them rise better-being ridged and a bit more narrow across



  Since it is way too hot and humid again for either of us to be working outdoors, Larry is taking it easy-which he Never does-and I decided to start threading my loom for the next towel project after the bread was out of the oven, cooled and taste tested.

   I took a short video to show that I started to sley the reed than I will thread the pattern in those heddles.  This is a very very old reed. It is a size 10 and I needed a size 20 so I just need to sley two ends (threads) in each slot.  I did take the time to really dust each slot, but this also needs new tape added on the reed's sides too.


  If you are super hot and humid too-stay cool. Happy  mid week

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. this really was an excellent recipe-would make again for sure

      Delete
  2. Happy Mid Week & Banana Bread! Stay Cool!
    The bread looks delicious!

    The heat advisory posted for this area is spot on. Outside air conditioning, a breeze deep shady spot, there is no air that isn't stuffy heavy humid. Around 2:30 AM last night, there was a downpour. Good for the plants. Not good for the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stay cool as well-good you got some rain though
      this is a very delicious bread-I would bake this again-so good

      Delete
  3. Oh yummy! I have already handwritten this one down and put it my recipe book of favorites. I have three very ripe bananas just needing to be put in bread. It's a good time to start on the weaving. The past three or fur days have been so hot, and a dry wind blows all day long sucking the moisture out of everything. It should be a beautiful evening there on the lake. And, what about banana bread for breakfast there with water lapping almost at your feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect-Larry doesn't like these type of breads all that much, so I cut thick slices and froze most of it in single servings-I kept out enough for tomorrow morning and a snack later. This is a keeper recipe for sure

      Delete
  4. I wondered why King Arthur sold specific gluten free bread pans. Thanks for filling me in. I've never seen dried banana either. There are so many new and interesting baking products out there. Thanks for sharing Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Erika, when I was trying to bake gluten free breads years ago, One of the instructions and tips I ran into suggested these pans-since thee is no gluten in the yeast breads these are to help with better support of the rise.
      I had never seen the dried banana either, there was also dried pineapple which I grabbed too-for putting in the cake batter for upside down cake.
      Your welcome-hugs

      Delete
  5. Yummy banana bread....off to the dentist here! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bread. I'm now starving. It sounds good, even if I've also never heard of the dried banana before. I love craisins and use them instead of raisins. they are a combination of cranberry and raisin. I bet the cherries were good, too.

    Too hot to bake here, since I'm only cooling my office, where I've decided to stay through the 100 plus F days we are having. Cutting down by not using the whole house AC has been a godsend for my checkbook. Hope you are staying cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth-I love craisins too and use those sometimes
      It is hot but I have noticed that the electric oven doesn't throw out as much heat into the kithcen as my gas ovens always did. we are having super hot days too. what has saved us-Larry had the whole attic foamed and it really has helped cool and heat the house without being overly expensive. and at the woods house I did not turn on the a/c not paying for that there.
      we are to be cooler tomorrow hoping so

      Delete
    2. My stove is so old, I don't think there's any insulation or whatever keeps the oven from overheating. It's the only stove I've ever owned. i bought it used when I was 19 and bought my first house. Only one burner still works on the stove. It seems even the old elements were very specific in how they adhere. I tried two different old elements people gave me and they didn't fit in the plug-in part. At least the bottom oven still works fine and has the most accurate temp for such an old beast.

      Delete
    3. That is awesome Elizabeth that you still have your stove. I can't tell you how much I miss my wolf 10 burner stove and the two ovens we had for about 30 years the stove was bigger than my kitchen almost haha.
      I am not much into the new appliances at all

      Delete
  7. Kathy my hubby has to eat gluten free. I have never baked him a banana bread before...not sure he cared for regular banana when he ate gluten...will ask him if he would like one. It is a wonderful way to use up fast ripening bananas. Hope your weekend is great. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie-oh that would be hard for a man I think to eat gluten free-mine doesn't really care for banana or zucchini type breads. they are saying a cool down starting tomorrow-hoping so Happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  8. It has been awhile and i should have posted my comments before now but I have been feeling so tired these last few days. The medicine seems to be working and I am able to extend my diet to cover more normal foods. I wish I could enjoy something like this delicious banana cake of yours though. It looks so tempting! I do have to be careful and reintroduce things gradually. I have received your second letter,thank you very much...beautiful sea view :-) Your previous letter to that was held up due to a an error and was posted in someone else's mailbox in another apartment block. It finally got to me somewhat torn and grubby thanks to a neighbour who recognised my name on the envelope. Her son used to come to my school. She came to my home to deliver it in person which was really nice of her. I have replied to your letter and it is on its way to you. Please take note of the new address. Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit