Thursday, August 5, 2021

Popping in To Say Hi and Landscape Project Update

   Hi everyone, Wow it's Thursday already. 

       So grateful for cooler weather so far this week-although the hot is returning. I have been sticking with my garden project everyday. Splitting up working in the mornings early and then going back out around 4 pm. Once it gets back up in the 90's again it will mostly likely be too hot for me after 4.

    Today I can really see progress, my goal was to finish  going through all the soil-seperating out the larger rocks, and debris by this week's end. We'll see how that goes.

   I just took a couple photos.

      Towards the left front-near where the water is draining from the rocked wall-is the finished soil. I had more than this but spread some of it out already. In the back to the right is what I have left-thinking at least 3 days more of work.


and this is the pile of small rocks that I seperated out of the soil already-that's allot of rocks haha. In the back is the piles of concrete chunks
             I did leave some of the gravel size stone in for drainage. I have only found about 4 worms in this soil, so this definitely needs some compost type nutrients added. Thinking of getting a big bag of peat moss if still available, and some miracle grow garden soil to mix in.  In the spring I will also buy some garden worms to put in here too.


  Speaking of Miracle Grow-I did an online search for small compost tumblers. I found one from Miracle Grow that I really like. So that is on the wish list for next spring. Here is a video I found-looks perfect and will keep the critters out of it if I try to make a homemade one. We have a woodchuck and racoons that get into mischief here smiles

  Do any of you have one of these? the reviews are all over the place, some love it some say it doesn't compost well which may be the fault of the buyer not knowing what to put in the compost.


This morning we had another pretty sunrise. The first photo is the blue heron fishing off of our dock.

    My digital camera is very old, thinking at least 15 years old now at least, so it is not taking sharp photos any more. This sun was a bright red and that does not show up well here.  We don't use smart phones so I don't have a camera that way-may need to look into a new one, hoping still available.




  Happy Thursday 

17 comments:

  1. Wow, your garden project looks amazing! You've done so much work to clear the area, well done you 😀. The dock looks like the perfect place for the heron to watch the lake and those sunsets, as always, are breathtaking! Enjoy the rest of your week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Jo, I am excited about this project the heron is always fun to watch he bounces around allot to different spots. Happy rest of your week too-hugs Kathy

      Delete
  2. That rock and concrete work must be awful. I admire your sticktuitiveness but truly, please be careful. Beautiful lake views, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kathy. Your garden area looks great and you have been working hard. Congrats for getting so much done. Keep us posted how it is going. Have a great end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Erika, I am feeling good with the progress so far.

      Delete
  4. Nice photos. Good work there
    I don't know why warmer colors don't seem to be captured well on digital cameras. I've had over the years with the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks that is probably it too, but I have noticed my photos are not as sharp as they used to be too

      Delete
  5. Wow, that looks like A LOT of hard work! It was cold all summer mostly I never even planted flowers.
    Beautiful pics of the lake again, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda needed a good outdoor project to get me out of the house for a bit. especially since I don't have a veggie garden-strange more animals eating my veggies here at the lake then at the woods house

      Delete
  6. You have put so much hard work into our project, Kath, well done. Rock-solid work, so to say! The photos are lovely. I've never had a composter, but it's a great idea! Make sure you get enough rest in between! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Valerie, I am keeping on this project so it goes done. I have always composted ever since I can remember-but have always done it out in the open on the ground as we have lived very rural most of the time. here at the lake that won't work. I did take a rest yesterday and didn't go back out late afternoon since I was getting sore hugs

      Delete
  7. Kathy! You have the new area looking so good! Wow! I can't believe how much you have done. I have tried different containers for composting, but without the results I want. When the little garden was fenced, I could bury things in one corner and that worked pretty well. But, now with no fence, Millie quickly digs up whatever I bury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-I have been staying on this project.
      that is my problem too-If I would dig it into the ground near the plants-the wild animals here, and roaming dogs would dig it up-not good. I am really thinking of getting one of these small compost tumblers

      Delete
  8. That is a huge pile of rocks! Your views are just lovely, the heron is a perfect addition to any lake scene but right in front of your house - even better! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was surprised how many of those smaller rocks were in this soil. I have another spot on our property for those rocks.
      We really enjoy all the different water birds that we see. early mornings we see a mama duck with 3 youngsters, and then another day a different mama duck with 2 little ones. I always enjoy the heron too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit