Friday, August 13, 2021

Cast Iron Saturday--Bread

 I almost forgot to post recipes for cast iron.  We finally had a huge storm come through most of the night and early morning. The oppressive heat and humidity is gone for now.(PS for some reason I was thinking it was Saturday-nope it's Friday the 13th haha so I am not late after all-a senior moment I guess)

  The lake out my windows is lovely and very calm this morning



Loving the look of the water this morning



   Years ago I would bake all of our breads. It was fun and rewarding for me to do-and there are soooo many choices of recipes and different breads to choose from. I loved working with sourdough too.  Over the years though I discovered I had celiac-so no wheat or gluten for me, and with Larry being diabetic back in the early 90's we cut out allot of bread-turns to sugar-and as we get older it is more difficult to keep the weight off-so we have drastically reduced carbs, especially breads for Larry.
 
    However, if you have no health concerns bread is even more rewarding to bake in cast iron and over and under coals. If you are serving guests-they will love your breads.

How to Bake Bread on a Camp Fire  he is also using tin pans



How to Bake Bread in your Dutch Oven with coals on top and bottom nice video




No Knead Dutch Oven Bread



and if you are out camping or in your back yard-Camp Fire Bread on a Stick


Cast Iron Irish Soda Bread



There are so many different breads-One just needs to explore recipes that you would like to bake.  Hoping this will give you a start

Happy Friday the 13th and weekend

19 comments:

  1. Oh so cool!!!! I wonder if I can save this post to my favorites on my computer? I want to try some of these recipes because we have a wonderful campfire pit. I have my grandma's old Dutch oven-it's cast aluminum I think-but it's been used for decades by her and now me-I love it. Your cast iron posts are so fun. I owe you a letter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Debra, no hurries with writing back. I am so happy you are enjoying these recipe posts. I have never worked with aluminum in the fire-and I do have one of those pots too. My Grandma used allot of aluminum pans. I did just find this article https://50campfires.com/exploring-aluminum-dutch-ovens/
      Let us know how it works out for you

      Delete
    2. oh and I don't know how to save blog post to the computer but I do save them to my pinterest boards when I want to be able to get back to them

      Delete
    3. So nice of you to look that up for me!!!! I think I did manage to save this post to my reading list.

      Delete
    4. you are welcome-I never used mine in the fire so wasn't sure, but since they are old makes sense they would have been

      Delete
  2. Hi Kath, your bread looks good. I thought it was Saturday today, too, then I saw the date on the computer. We used to do those bread sticks at scout camp. Lovely photos, too. Have a good weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was friday the 13th and then when I did this post I thought it was saturday haha. I remember these bread sticks too from our camp fire girls camp outs Happy weekend

      Delete
  3. The lake does look beautiful this morning. It's amazing what rain and cooler temps can do - even for water. We are hoping the front holds together enough to bring us some rain later tonight. I will confess that I am struggling with gluten-free breads. Nothing looks more delicious and hearty as breads cooked over a campfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I spent money and time with new cookbooks and ingredients, supplies to make a decent gluten free bread--I never got there and I did try. Larry says you don't eat bread that often just buy it-and he is right I never did eat much bread. Udi gluten free breads are excellent, there is a local grocery store nearby that keeps some in their freezers which is a good idea so they won't go stale.
      and Bob's Red Mill gluten free bread mixes are really good too-so that's what I do now if I have a taste for bread
      Hope you get some rain too

      Delete
  4. Your lake photos are great today, Kathy. Beautiful.

    I want to try that no-knead bread when it gets cooler and I get some yeast. I like that you can also bake it in your oven using a regular pan, too. Sally has FOUR bread makers and I've never seen her use a single one! Thanks for the bread recipe I plan to make when the weather cools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome Elizabeth, I look forward to seeing your bread. years ago I had gotten a bread machine for a gift-didn't care for it at all so gave it away-there are several no knead bread recipes around too if you like baking breads

      Delete
  5. Beautiful lake-pics, keep them coming, please!
    I made low carb bread - I loved it, but ate it too often, now I have some in the freezer and no desire to eat it!
    I get Ingo bread from his fav bakery every Monday and he eats that for every working brekkie and lunch, boy, I´d rather starve eating the same every working day!!!
    I made hearty waffles and after three days are done. Yet I still have so much left!
    Like you said, getting old(er) you don´t need so much anymore. For 2 people?! It will last two weeks! Think I´ll freeze the stuff. (Ingo hates the waffles, he even didn´t try them!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bummer Ingo doesn't like waffles-Larry just requested them so will make some soon I make Belgium waffles

      Delete
    2. LOL, reckon your waffles are sweet? I froze the rest. Mine came with ham, cheese, basil, parsley, eggs, harissa.
      Pickled eggs today. Also Ingo´s recipe, also he doesn´t like it no more. Let me understand that man!

      Delete
    3. that's a bummer-ask him what he wants you make for food.
      No mine are not very sweet
      How do you pickle your eggs-I always pickled with pickled beets

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit