Friday, August 20, 2021

Cast Iron Saturday-Soups and Stews

    I love soups and stews-you can be creative with them and just make up the recipe as you go, or use a recipe as a guideline-or as is. 

    We are seeing fall appearing-slowly, darker later in the mornings now, the air is a bit cooler-although here in SW Missouri we have seen 90's way into September-which I am thinking may be the case this year. Are you ready to make a soup or a stew soon?       So that is my theme for this week's Cast Iron Saturday.

Cast Iron Sweet Potato Chowder form Southern Cast Iron

    Only thing I would change is to use my own canned chicken stock or a no salt chicken stock-so glad there are more no salt options in the stores now Also to  make gluten free I would omit the flour for thickening and use Bob's Red Mill Potato flakes for a thickener



Keto Beef Stew from Cast Iron Keto 

    They are using an enameled cast iron pot, the recipe uses turnips instead of potatoes which I have been using allot of lately-much lower in carbs than potatoes. They are using carrots in this keto dish as less in carbs and very high in nutrients


From Lodge Cast Iron-Tennessee White Chili this sounds really delicious



and from James Townsend and Son-I love the history and his recipes

Soup, Stew and Hash - 18th Century Soldier Cooking



     Happy Friday and Weekend everyone

8 comments:

  1. A beef stew would be a nice change from summer salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could and stews are always my favourites, yummy. Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soups and stews, but right now it is too tropical to want any. But these look great, once the weather cools down. Beef stew is a favorite. Have a great weekend Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love beef stew too-I just looked at the weather for next week-upper 90's all week-no fun You have a great weekend too-hugs

      Delete
  4. Sorry to be so late visiting. On Friday, I was without power for over 16 hours. I am hugging my AC about now after suffering 100+ F heat for a full day!

    I'm going to copy that White Chili recipe. I am going to make it when the weather cools a bit. It uses my favorite cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you were out of power-did you get those storms last night? we got allot of rain but the heat has returned-high 90's most of next week.
      I really liked that white chili recipe too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit