Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Chocolate Popcorn (and a little political-so don't read if it bothers you)

    Hi everyone, it's mid week and so far the week is dragging by.

It's still so hot here that we can't work outdoors, but then we are both taking care of ourselves from injuries. My knee is a little better walking up the stairs and hill but still not back to normal. Larry discovered this morning the arm that got hurt-that hand now is super swollen. We have been using ice packs off and on today. He didn't think it felt like anything was broken, so we will keep up with the ice packs for now.  We are actually more rural where we live now for a doctor-no urgent care close at all to us now.

   I am trying not to read the news online-because it is just so disheartening, this President leaving Americans and allies behind enemy lines. I read all sorts of sources-never the media, but now cnn is reporting some truths as well. I really feel for those veterans that fought in this war and the families that lost loved ones there-for the conclusion of this war to come about in this manner. Our allies in Europe have been let down as well-they are trying to get their people out as well before the Taliban's deadline of August 31st.  This President allowed the enemy to set the conditions. 

   I decided we needed some comfort food so I am making my chocolate covered popcorn. I usually only make this around Christmas time but decided we needed some happy foods.

 


   I have a large Boston butt pork roast in the freezer that I plan to take out for tomorrow and then afterwards shred allot of if and make us homemade tamales. Larry loves those-they are allot of work for one person to make so I don't make them as often in a year. He tells me tamales are not only for Christmas time (smiles)

    Do any of you like to watch Master Chef?  I am looking forward to it tonight as they are getting down to under 10 left. 

    Those of you that enjoy the cast iron posts what recipes would you like me to look for and share?


16 comments:

  1. Homemade tamales are the best! Empty the freezer if you need room for them. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade tamales would make any day a holiday for sure! I can’t believe we are having such hot weather, but it is still August. We could all do with some comfort food these hot days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking we will be super hot in september this year too. a huge boat event going on here at the lake this weekend.
      Yes comfort food is good thing right now for sure-hugs

      Delete
  3. He didn´t THINK anything was broken? Huhhhh, scary.
    I knew. I put my whole weight on my broken arm trying to get up and... you could see it´s broken, the shirt stood out, LOL. Well, "LOL".
    Best wishes and good luck from here there is nothing broken!!

    Afghanistan. The madness never stops. And the Taliban seem to win - again.
    What bugged me.... they showed the German Bundeswehr/Army helping to get people out of there. And again.... here a woman, there a kid, the rest all men!!!
    And those men have no respect for women. Happy times will come again :-(

    Sorry. But I was once even called a "whore" for not covering my face and hands.
    Here. In Germany. Certainly in their language, thanks to google translate I later knew how those men "value" being here.
    They don´t have to work or learn our language, I once somewhere read if you come to the US you have six months to learn English and find a job otherwise -> ticket home. Is that true? Would make sense.
    Sorry, by now, seeing how "Chancellor" Merkel "rules" our country I´m a tad mad.

    I expected to see women and kids being rescued, oh I am so naive.

    Boston butt pork roast? Guess that is "Schinken"? Tamales? Sounds sweet, so I won´t investigate further ;-)

    Haha, funny you, as if we could watch Master Chef. We now get a new show with Jamie Oliver and some other dude. Translated to German, no, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes craziness in the world right now--no that is not true at all here in the US especially Biden allowing millions of illegals coming in since he took off-that is really the scary part for me for sure. he spends money letting them fly anywhere they want to go in the usa-but won't life a finger to get our people out of harms way in afghanistan
      nope tamales are not sweet. do you get anything with Gordon Ramsey? this is one of his better shows.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathy, what is a Boston Butt? Never heard of that before. Chocolate popcorn sounds decadently delicious! Hope it soon cools down a bit for you, and that Larry's hand gets better! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valeire, Boston Butt is a large pork roast-found this description Boston butt, pork butts comes from the top part of the shoulder, closest to the spine. This shoulder cut is a large, rectangular piece of meat that has had the skin removed and is full of lots of juicy marbled fat and connective tissue.
      This chocolate popcorn is really delicious-it gets baked at a low temperature and turns our crunchy
      Hoping Larry's hand heals soon too-hugs and thank you

      Delete
  5. I also haven't heard of a Boston butt. I guessed pork roast, but we don't use that name here. I wonder about the story behind it. I am guessing it is the same as a bottom round roast? And your chocolate popcorn looks yummy. Stay cool. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, this must be a midwest term? I have always known this pork roast under this name-under Valerie's comment I explained what it is. Yes this popcorn is a fun treat. I am going to freeze some of it today-it freezes well

      Delete
  6. Popcorn looks Wonderful! Boston Butt cooking sounds hot. Will you do it outdoors?
    .

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit