Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Popping in Again Today w/ a Quick Post-Weaving & Books

   Hi again,

       I needed to take a couple days off from weaving because I woke up a couple days ago with a very very sore right hip-felt like I fell and I didn't, and my right arm and elbow were hurting really badly as well.  Couldn't figure out what from-I did do a couple hours of leaf raking and bagging but didn't think that was it-then it dawned on me-must be weaving-repetitive motion and I am sitting on a vintage milk can for weaving. This milk can has traveled with my loom since the late '70s. Back then I was also 15 pounds lighter, and I can feel that I am stooped over a bit too much. Not sure what the remedy is-except to stretch and take frequent breaks-not weaving 4-6 hours at a time-what was I thinking lol 😀

    So when I got back from the food store this morning I started back weaving-I am just over the half way mark on the shawl now.  I did measure the length of the one I made before so at the half way mark decided to weave a bit of green alpaca. I am thinking the blue alpaca may have just made it but-barely-and I want to add lots of fringe on both ends of this shawl.  Now that I have woven a bit and now weaving in the green-it doesn't look as bad as I originally thought. I for sure would not have liked stripes along the whole shawl, but this will hit in the back area and hopefully bring an interesting look. Hoping so anyways-can you tell I worry too much??

    I was really concerned about just running out of the blue, so went with this. The green alpaca I have also paired  with the blue angora like I did with the blue alpaca so there is blue through out the piece.


I haven't woven for probably around 6-7 years and weaving nice selvedges is always  challenging. My left side is usually nicer looking than the right side-but I have been able to keep the same width through out the whole piece so far-that is a good thing, as it is easy to "draw in" the edges which is not a good thing After hand washing and laying out to dry I think it will be fine.


and in the mail box today I received a book I ordered last week. I was inspired to get this book after reading Amanda's blog post last week. I think my husband will enjoy reading this one too-and I found this hard cover for $5.00 free shipping


I also wanted to share a new author I just learned about. The first 3 book set was offered for free-so after enjoying the stories I got books 4 and 5 and preordered book 6    The series is An American in Paris by Susan Kiernan-Lewis. These are mysteries and I found the characters quite real, with lots going on, and I usually am surprised at the end on "who done it" I only guessed one book so far.  
  This three book set is no longer free but it is priced to end up with a savings over buying seperately.



24 comments:

  1. I hope your hip feels better soon. I can get your enthusiasm for weaving though. It is coming along and looks beautiful. Your mystery series looks good too. I am going to go look it up. Hope all is well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is doing much better today. I am really enjoying this author I started the first book of her time travel series and so far it's really good

      Delete
  2. The shawl is already so beautiful. I love the mix of the blue and green, and your selvedges look perfect! Take it easy on that hip...Rome wasn't built in a day, as I have always heard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much and I always do this-stay with a project for too many hours in one sitting

      Delete
  3. thank you, I am liking the green much better now I am really liking this author-I have just started her time travel one-really good so far

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weaving is beautiful, but don't overdo it, that could really cause pains! Taking a break to read good books or do some cooking is always good. Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie-I totally forgot to pace myself-having too much fun haha

      Delete
  5. Hope you will feel better soon, Kathy. You make a beautiful shawl. You are blessed you know the great technique of weaving. Hugs, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Mia Yes I am grateful that I took a few basic classes years ago

      Delete
  6. Sorry again! You made me laugh.
    I still have some trousers I wore in 1999 hoping to fit in again - what are the chances?!

    Sorry you hurt.

    Can´t wait (well .. will have to!) to see what you weaved.

    Interesting book! Maybe I wouldn´t get it as we use different sayings (red herrings says nothing to me).
    Oh. Stop giving tips on books, I have too many in the line ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia-Yes I still have a few pairs of jeans too way back that I always hoped to be able to wear again- Yes I forgot about pacing myself with the weaving.
      I am not familiar with red herrings either but thought it sounded interesting-me too-I have been picking up too many new books for my kindle lately I am loving this author though and just picked up her time travel series

      Delete
  7. Lovely weaving! The subtle colors will mix well. Repetitive motion, oh yes! That’s the issue to be aware of as we get older. It will get us every time. Shorter stints and something more supportive to sit on will help. Stretching too. Take your time with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Barbara yep totally forgot about the repetitive motion-too many hours at one sitting-limiting to one hour now and taking a break

      Delete
  8. Both fabrics are beautiful. I hope you are well now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-I am feeling much better now-just need to remember to pace my self and get up and stretech every 30 minutes or so-it's hard though lol

      Delete
  9. Sometimes there are unexplained pains in certain body parts that take some pondering. My problem lately is my wrists so I've had to take a break from stitching and crocheting. Glad to know your hip is better. Definitely not a good idea to be hunched over for too long. Your scarf is looking so lovely. I've been reading a book for months now that requires a lot of concentration on my part. :/ Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, yes we all need to get up and move around when we are involved in something with the same motions-hugs

      Delete
  10. Really glad you got the book and at such a reasonable price! I do find it an interesting read and marvel at times just how old some of these idioms are...quite amazing! I do like the green you have added to the woven shawl. It is going to look beautiful, lucky recipient! You shouldn't be so many hours hunched over the loom. That posture can't be good for you and it is like being at the computer you should stand up and walk around every 10 mins of each hour! I know its hard to remember to do this but getting up and moving about will help. Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are really enjoying the book. I hunted around online for a good price. here on ebay there are quite a few charities that sell like new hard cover books really reasonable. I am liking the green allot better now too. Yes I agree on getting up and walking around often-I have been told this in the past when I sat at the sewing machine for hours on end-I get involved and forget to take breaks. hugs

      Delete
  11. I LOVE the shawl! I'm glad you figured out what was causing your pain. I'm going to order the book about where phrases started from-I've alwasy been interested in that. Hope your weekend and Easter are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, We are enjoying the Red herring book of phrases-I searched around online and the price was all over the place. I found this one on ebay from a charity. Happy weekend and Easter

      Delete
  12. Repetitive motion is always a problem. It was a big problem for assembly workers in factories. Now, at least a few wise companies are requiring workers to take a break every so often. Before, if quotas weren't met, the worker's pay suffered. Be sure to take time away from sitting and weaving. I have a friend who sews. She has an ironing board behind her. After sewing a row or block of fabric, she gets up, stands, and irons the backs in place before returning to sewing. I hope you can find something similar.

    I'm a BIG mystery fan. These sound great. I love a red herring. I think (but I could be wrong) that Agatha Christi came up with the first one in one of her first novels. Up to then, no one had used that technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth I should know better too because I have gotten myself in trouble over this in the past. I think I was enjoying it too much lol and I have always needed a better weaving bench but they are so costly. This milk can is just a bit too tall and hurts my lower back.
      I am new to mystery books I never really found ones I liked-I am liking this author. She has another mystery series that is now up to 18 books.

      Delete
  13. Prayers you feel better
    Neat books, they will be good summer reading

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit