Saturday, March 6, 2021

My Loom is Now Threaded

   I can't tell you what a joy this is to have finished the threading around noon today. It took me three mornings to finish what I had started several years ago.

   Such a good feeling. This project is a gift for a long time blog friend. She had sent me a gift of balls of alpaca from one of her trips so I decided to weave her a large shawl using her alpaca. I think this will be really pretty and it will be soft too.

   My creative muse really does inspire me to do the different arts and crafts I work with. I had such a mind block with getting this ready to weave. So I am thanking my weaving muse right now.

  I am making us a homemade pot of chicken soup and large salad for our main 2 pm meal today. After that I may begin the rest of the process to get set up for weaving.

    I start with unsalted bone broth and also stock if I want a large pot of soup. Then I throw in handfuls of dehydrated soup fixins and onions from the amish store, let that all simmer and then add frozen veggies, chicken, and white canned beans. To thicken I use Bobs Red Mill's instant potato flakes that really is a nice finishing touch to the soups. For spices I use several herbal blends for soups

                                                          Front View


                                                   Back View


Next up is tying on to the back and slowly wind on warp-then tie on to the front, check tensions and Weave


Happy Weekend everyone.

24 comments:

  1. Three years ago this started? I so admire your “sticktuitiveness”! I will never know the first thing about a loom like this, but I’m sure these hundreds of threads did not get there by themselves. These pictures reveal a work of art in itself, so pretty! If you could post a video of you weaving at that loom, it would be so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Barbara, never thought of a video-may do that if I can get Larry to do it

      Delete
  2. I agree with Barbara that the threaded loom in itself is a work of art. You have taken a giant step for sure! I hope you will take lots of pictures as you work. Your chicken soup sounds so good and gf, so this one goes in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you looking at the photos-it is really pretty to see, this is really nice yarn purchased many years ago-I would not be able to afford to buy this now. I have a huge stash of yarns I have collected since the 80's through the early 2000's probably-time to weave them up haha This simple soup is really delicious I do the same with beef soup

      Delete
  3. Have fun with your weaving! Your soup sounds delicious! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a big job Kathy. Hurrah for getting it done. You must be excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my-I am so in awe of all the knowledge you have about working with your hands. You are so inspiring! I really can't imagine weaving-it looks so complicated. I hope you post a video of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, it's many several years so I am glad I remember how to do this haha

      Delete
  6. Wow, Kathy. And to think this is just the weft. This is amazing already. So glad to see this in progress. Your soup sounds yummy. I never thought to buy potato flakes to thicken soup. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth this is actually the warp I am working on. I am getting it tied on to the back now which is a process but am enjoying working at my loom again.
      with the gluten issue of mine I was wondering what to use for a thickener and I remembered these potato flakes-they add flavor too
      thanks for visiting hugs

      Delete
  7. Wow, I never felt alpaca but saw a docu on it, must be soooo soft and warming! Your friend surely will jump for joy!
    And the soup, hmmmm....
    Can´t wait to see what you did with the alpaca!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with many bloggers here seeing that loom threaded is an impressive sight! The results I definitely look forward to see and especially as you will be working with alpaca; wonderful yarn! They say it is 5 times warmer than sheep's wool. An alpaca shawl is a fabulous make!. I do like the sound of your soup especially as its a cold damp day here today...yes... we have had rain at last. Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look pretty all threaded up. I didn't realize alpaca was that much warmer-and I love alpaca too

      Delete
  9. Kathy I have received your letter this morning!! A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your threaded loom looks wonderful Kathy! I wish I had room for a loom, I'd love to do some weaving.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, yes they do take space-this loom is pretty small compared to most, I did need to sell my 45 inch rug loom when we moved do to space. many are weaving on the rigid heddle looms that just sit on a table-I have never tried one of those.--thanks for dropping by

      Delete
  11. Wow, I bet that took quite a bit of time to thread! Glad you got it all ready to go 😊. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have watched looms being threaded - it always looks so tedious so well done for that! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Chris-this part is a bit tedious especially with this finer thread and textures

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit