Friday, March 26, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays-Grilled Salmon

   I will be posting these cast iron blog posts on Fridays.

  I love grilled fresh salmon. My husband not as much because he said growing up his Mom made salmon patties, and grilled salmon and more salmon every week. I remember my Grandma on the farm would keep canned salmon on hand to make patties with. I do like those too. Now I look for a quality sourced salmon or tuna in cans to keep on hand in my pantry.

   I could eat salmon every week if I found fresh at the grocery store. So now when I have a taste for it I grill it up in cast iron for me and prepare Larry something different. 

 I have learned to always start grilling with the skin side down-I needed to remember to do this and it does make a difference. A cast iron skillet or grill pan is perfect for salmon-either out on your grill or on top of your stove-gas or electric. (I am learning to cook with this electric stove, reminding myself electric is just a different heat source opposed to over fire)

  I checked on the web for instructions on grilling salmon in cast iron and recipe ideas.  This is a really nice site  for lemon garlic salmon. I like my salmon grilled simply and I like the touch of lemon and garlic in this one

photo from this site




  I like this recipe too Brown Butter Honey Garlic Salmon-sweet and sticky

      This one you need to scroll down through different links but I like the idea of the browned butter  This link also shares sides and using ghee instead of butter, what honey to use etc.


  I think these are both good sounding grilled salmon recipes. 

   For sides a fresh salad, or fresh veggie in season steamed or grilled. We keep our meals very simple these days with less to no carbs at our main meal. I did find this site  on Delish with over 30 side dishes for grilled salmon-just click on the photo gallery for the recipes.

  How do you like to grill your salmon?

   As always you are always welcome to share a cast iron recipe in comments

26 comments:

  1. I love salmon. It is very expensive here, so we don't have it often. I mostly cook it in the oven with cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes go all goowee and caramelized and I would serve it with French puy lentils (cooked separately) and a salad.
    Thank you for your comment on mine. Yes, of course we have thermostats on our ovens, but because we live in an area where electricity is prohibitively expensive, everything is on bottled gas (Butane). We have hot water, heating, cooking, oven, etc all on bottled gas. The ovens on bottled gas usually are very simple and don't have a thermostat. But I have found one, whoopee!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Keep smiling,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, oh that makes sense then using bottled gas. so glad you dropped by- Your salmon dish sounds delicious too hugs

      Delete
  2. I love salmon too, and I remember those patties! I loved them then and now. I cook it inside, but cooking outside would be great. We have a campfire pit that would work. Salmon is my fav fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! We had smoked rainbow salmon in our own smoking bowl yesterday ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like fresh catfish best and usually deep fry it in cast iron outdoors, but I am definitely learning from you and look forward to your Friday cast-iron cooking posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love fresh catfish too-deep fried with cornmeal batter in cast iron. glad you like these posts

      Delete
  5. If... I only like white fish or tuna.
    My Bro made salmon for Christmas one time, booooy.
    I ate it with a smile and thought, please, never again! So "fishy"!

    I am so sad I got my Dad´s genes. My Mum loved any kind of fish!
    Enjoy your healthy meals!!! Good on you. Fishfingers for me, please? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husbands loves to fish but doesn't like to eat most fish-only catfish. when I was a kid my made us fish sticks-probably the same as your fishfingers? my Dad wouldn't eat fish so she served it when he was working saturdays.
      Happy weekend-a nice one here

      Delete
  6. I had grilled salmon the other night also. It is so good. I don't eat it in the winter for some reason, but as soon as it warms up, I like it. Have a great weekend Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! We love salmon too and eat it every other week :) Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Good morning, Oh that sounds delicious never thought of dill thanks

      Delete
  9. I used to buy whole salmon and smoke them at Christmas. They made great Christmas gifts. Now they are so expensive, I can't afford to buy a whole one for myself. The last time I bought a whole salmon was two years ago. I paid over $44.00 (USD) for it. I ended up covering parchment paper around it and baking it, along with fresh herbs, dill, and rosemary in my oven. My friend Sally buys the small ones. she gets them from Schwabs and they are small like yours. She also fries hers. I fear I wouldn't have luck frying mine. On a different note, I made beer battered cod recently. It was delicious because I deep fried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local small grocery store near me now that has really good meat also has excellent fresh or frozen fish. he has been having decent prices on the fresh salmon around $6.00 for a thick slice-perfect for me. we love deep fried catfish

      Delete
  10. I'm not a seafood fan, but I'll bet steaks would come out just as good in your cast iron skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, this looks so delicious! Thanks for the recipes, I like the idea of using honey to make them sticky 😀. I love salmon and grill mine on a cast iron skillet too with lemon. Wishing you a happy new week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo I am going to try the honey too-sounds good on the grill for sure

      Delete
  12. We are all very partial to fresh salmon in this household. We like it grilled too,seasoned, just drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice... delicious. I have never used honey on salmon but I like honey so why not :-) Now you mention it I am going to tell Sr P to buy some salmon this weekend. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit