Wednesday, March 3, 2021

It's Been Way Too Long--Weaving

    This morning I decided was the day to finish setting up my loom from the move from the woods house.

   This is actually a 30 inch table loom with a conversion kit to make into a floor loom. I bought in the late 70's when I lived in Denver Colorado for several years. It was made by a small company J Made out of Oregon-they are no longer in business. I have always loved this loom for it's size.

   I have been in the process of threading this for way too many years, had a mind block against this because it was tedious. Well enough is enough, I pulled it out so it now sits behind my computer desk and and chair and I can now get to all sides of the loom which I needed. I cleaned it up-dusted it and then used Liquid Gold-this loom I believe was made from maple. I also needed to restring the harness's to the lams. Now to figure out where I left off in the threading pattern and get to work getting this threaded.

  If this wasn't expensive organic cotton yarn I would have cut this off and thrown it away by now haha.  This was to be made into a cocoon or a wrap over the shoulders, may leave it as a nice large shawl.

  I want to make kitchen towels which is the motivator to get this threaded, and prepared for weaving.  I am hoping my weaving "muse" will assist me

  oops from the photo I see I missed a spot with the dust-that's next haha



20 comments:

  1. Awesome! Are they big? I have had big looms for years. They are not put together when there is no place to keep them. It would be nice to weave rugs, though it goes a lot in the neck and hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this weaves 30 inches wide. I did have a 45 inch rug loom but I had no room for it at the lake house so I sold it to a blogging friend that drove up from Kentucky to buy it.
      at my age now I think that heavy loom would have been too hard to handle for me now.

      Delete
  2. Kathy I had an aunt who had a loom and she made rag rugs. Hope you enjoy creating. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! I always wanted to make rugs, so when we retired my husband found me a vintage rug loom-I loved it but weaving always took second place while I explored natural dyeing and other fiber arts. my loom has been calling me in- thank you-I would like to try some saori style weaving too

      Delete
  3. This is a fantastic loom. I know you will have fun with this. I also wanted to share this information with you. https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/you-asked-we-answered-do-the-covid-19-vaccines-contain-aborted-fetal-cells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the link-thank you-a very good explanation which I hadn't seen as of yet.

      Delete
    2. Oh and I had bought this loom back in the late 70's when I was living in Denver Colorado for a few years. I took weaving classes from the shop as well. so I have taken this loom with me everywhere I have moved since then.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful loom! I know you will get tho most out of it!m

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I did nothing else with this loom other than just admire it every time I passed by, it would be a joy. The last time I visited my favorite antique mall there was a beautiful old loom threaded and knotted and ready to go. It really was hard for me to resist it, but ... When I go back, I hope it will be gone. :~/ What fun it would be to come sit with you while you work at your loom there on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weaving is very comforting, as is hand spinning on the drop spindle
      do you weave?

      Delete
  6. Good for you Kathy. I bet it is a project to set up the loom, but it looks like something fun to do. I hope your muse hangs around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it can be a quite the project but it's a process that is nice too I am hoping mu muse sticks around too

      Delete
  7. Great to get your look up and running again, what fun 😁. Take care and wishing you a Happy March! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only known a few weavers in my life, but it is a skill that I greatly admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, over the years I wish I would have woven more-but I like to explore lots of different fiber arts I am one bounce around. feels good to back with my loom again

      Delete
  9. Wow, I would have no idea how it works, but it looks beautiful. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit