Friday, March 19, 2021

Weaving Update

   Happy Friday everyone, although today feels like a Saturday to me. I woke up with bad allergies do to all the strong winds I am thinking. Walking around with a head that feels like I drank too much wine lol

   I was determined to weave and get the pattern set up in my head with a few changes.

   I figured I would have a threading mistake-which doesn't show up til you weave-I had started the threading, then didn't get back to this again for 5 years. A major project to  un weave, and then un tie in the front and re do over half the threading-I really do not want to do that, although since this is a gift I want it to be nice but then I remembered that the Navajo weavings always put in a mistake in their weaving as their thoughts are that no person is perfect. This is really a project that just needs to get woven so I can go on to the next.

                        Can you spot the errors? to the left there are two threads the same and also to the right. This of course will carry through the entire weave.  If I was up to it I Would probably take this apart but in the end I think it would cause more problems with threads breaking redoing it all


  And then I ran into this issue, each of the three shuttles had breakage in spots-don't know why this happened-breakage from being on the shuttles too long, a mouse perhaps? although there was no sign of mice in the yarns or bag  Hoping the balls of alpaca will be fine.

    


I did 4 inches of plain weave will be on both ends, originally this was for making cuffs when I sewed this into a wrap but my friend has gained allot of weight so am leaving this as a shawl instead-decided to still weave this as a design feature. Not totally sure if I like it though. Thoughts?

  Below is where I am stopping for the day. I wanted to get the pattern into the green and will repeat this to the end. 


This is the first time using this style of shuttle, its a boat or ski shuttle I think it is called.  I usually just use the sticks. I must have picked this up at a resale shop as new these are very expensive and I don't buy much in weaving supplies like this.

I do love the textures of this organic cotton yarn



I am still using this old milk can that I painted up back in the late 70's. I never could afford to buy a weaving bench. I had wove the fabric and made several of these pillows for my Mom probably back in the early 90's, for her living room. I brought them back home with me when we settled her estate. Surprised they were still in such good shape.


Thoughts???-would you take this weaving apart and re thread the pattern? also not sure I like the two different colors the blue and the green, but that was the plan all along as there is not enough of either one color

Here is a photo of me with this weaving pattern I had wove,  turned into a wrap. I had it up for sale in my etsy shop for a couple years, I may put it back on there again  Some of you may remember this photo.  This was woven with the same organic cotton warp and I believe it had grey mohair and wool for the weft.  I thought perhaps this is no longer in style and that is why it didn't sell ? 
 I am not a fashion person haha


Have a good weekend all we are to be warming up again.

20 comments:

  1. thank you Laurie,
    I decided what I am going to do is take out 2 inches of that plain weaving when I am finished, and then just weave 2 inches for the other end I think it I will like the look better

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are a talented weaver. As hard as I looked I never could find a mistake in the threading. I certainly am not qualified to make suggestion on anything having to do with weaving, but I think this piece is beautiful as it is. And, I love love the picture of you in that gorgeous wrap. No way is it out of style. It's so perfect for you I don't know how you can even think of parting with it. Oh, the beauty of something made entirely by the human hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you dear friend, I have been thinking of getting it out and wearing it and claiming that wrap as mine-I thought it would be nice to sell but there was no interest at the time

      Delete
  3. Your weaving is beautiful, and little mistakes in hand woven things are a sign of quality to me. I love the colours, it looks beautiful. Keep going! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you feel having drunk to much wine. I forgot to put ours into the goulash!
    No person is perfect, I agree. Nice to do it on purpose as reminder.
    No thoughts, just a big AWWW! Can you show a video of how you do it?
    :-) Ingo got milk for his baby Brother likely in such a smaller can! Fresh from the farmer, unthinkable of these days...

    I think a work in progress over 5 years is great to see. To me it shows you took a break, but got back at it of strong will and in 5 years things change. It´s a little "history"-thing, no?

    Cool pic of you, this looks so cozy. It´s COLD here! Spring cheats, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Iris-yes many things have changed in 5 years-my friend I am weaving for had a stroke and is now recovered, my husband had heart valve transplant, I did allot of natural dyeing and handmade paper during that time as well and we moved out of the woods and on to the lake
      Happy Spring its cold this morning but we have full sunshine early and we are to warm up a bit-yeah
      I don't know if I can do a video-maybe I will ask Larry

      Delete
  5. Your weaving looks beautiful. I don't see the mistakes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, I wouldn’t take it out. Onward with mistakes and all. It’s what gives an item uniqueness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to comment backwards here Kathy. First of all, your woven wrap is gorgeous, and I think would always be in style. Even with jeans. And I would never have noticed your mistakes in your piece had you not pointed them out. I agree with Valerie. Little mistakes give it an artistic and hand made look. Better than the perfect machine, mass produced look. I think you can balance the green also but not using a lot of it, just as a little here and there contrast. I think it looks beautiful! Happy first day of spring. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, I had mentioned in the description on etsy that would be perfect with jeans or dressed up as an evening wrap. I had the price at 125.00 not counting my time in the price. the yarns in today's prices was about 100.00.
      I am thinking too little mistakes are not so bad, at is the thoughts with saori style weaving-a free artistic form of weaving clothing-anything goes that I want to try soon. Happy Spring

      Delete
  8. I'm also having trouble getting to your cast iron post too. I wanted to read it, but I am always taken back to today's weaving post. I hope you didn't pull it off the web. hugs again- Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for letting me know-the cast iron post is still there-I did click from here on older post and went right to it

      Delete
    2. I just now clicked on the cast iron post in the blog archive list and it went right to that post--so maybe it was just a glitch at the time

      Delete
  9. What beautiful weaving! Yes, I spotted the mistakes, but I wouldn't undo it. An item with a mistake in it is unique and proves it is handmade.
    But I must admit that I'm not keen on the green. I did read that you don-t have enough of the other, so perhaps you will have to leave it in. But if you have a choice, my taste would be without the green.
    The photo of you with the shawl is gorgeous. Yes, the shawl is beautiful too, but we see very few photos of you so this is a treat.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Hope the allergy doesn't get worse,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in agreement not sure I like this green either, I think I will finish the pattern in the green and see what it looks like-and decide if I would have enough with just the blue, and while typing a thought, I could use the organic cotton with the angora possibly but that is a different weight of yarn than the alpaca-will think on this before I weave too much
      Thank you about my photo-this was taken about 7 years ago.
      this seems to be a rough allergy season already-and started earlier too. hugs

      Delete
  10. So beautiful! Loving the photo of you and that shawl is gorgeous 😀. Sorry I'm so late visiting! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit