Saturday, March 20, 2021

Happy Spring & Weaving

   So happy to have sunshine here on the first day of Spring. It has been a gloomy, cold, rainy week for sure-so this is nice.

    I didn't catch the sunrise but it was very very bright early this morning, as Eileen would say-diamonds on the water.


I wove a pattern of the green alpaca, decided I really did not want to alternate that with the blue for the entire shawl. I took that all out and wove more blue pattern I really love this better. I have 4 small balls of alpaca of each color. I decided that I am going to see how many inches I get from one ball woven-then measure the warp-I can just unwind that and rewind back on the back. I don't think I have enough blue for the whole shawl so if not, I think I will weave an alternate pattern towards the middle, I think I will like that approach better.

   I got just one more stick shuttle full from this first ball.  Some of you might remember that followed me on my original blog (that I now deleted) that I had splurged and ordered a custom pottery yarn ball-used by knitters and those that crochet. I thought it would be perfect to use winding the warp on to the warping board, and also on to shuttles.  I love handmade pottery, and when I found this crafter on Etsy-gorgeous work-I just really wanted one. I asked if she could use plants that I use here in my Missouri woods for dyeing and she said yes.  


the sun was shining in the window behind where I sit at the loom-so got a bit of a glare on a couple of the photos



Weaving so far, this organic cotton warp will get darker with use and age-which will be perfect with this blue. I always loved blue and brown together




I grabbed this little bunny I received from Barbara awhile back to keep me company at the loom


Happy Spring and Weekend Everyone

22 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful Kathy. And I like that yarn bowl. I also love handmade pottery. This one is really pretty. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post for the first day of spring. I have been anxious to get here to see today's weaving, and I wasn't disappointed. I never make anything without taking something out. It is to be expected and part of the process. I also love blues and browns together...so pretty. I love your yarn bowl and know those plants well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up taking a big section out-I pushed a wrong pedal and messed up the pattern, so I disabled that one so I don't do that again haha I am getting in the weaving groove so going more smoothly.
      tomorrow I want to start a few veggie plants from seeds-I make mini greenhouses out of gallon water jugs-those work sooo well.
      I love this yarn bowl too-especially since she put on my favorite dye plants

      Delete
  3. Diamonds on the water, what a very nice saying!!
    I never heard of a pottery yarn ball, but it sure is very beautiful and matching to your lake!
    That bunny, so cute!
    Happy Sunday to you - it warmed up a little here, but grey, Spring still waits to come here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will think of Eileen now when ever I see the "diamonds" on the lake now. the bunny keeps me smiling Hoping you get warmer weather soon. we were cold most every day last week

      Delete
  4. Love that bunny! Your weaving is so lovely! I'm excited to see your progress on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh, this has been work but is coming along nicely! Such talent and determination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that phrase 'diamonds on the water', and I adore your weaving Kathy.
    That's a stunning yarn bowl, it's going to be very useful.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful piece of weaving with the blue bars pattern and the touches of gold. I can imagine the alpaca yarn will make it fabulously warm and soft.
    The lake looks beautiful, what a marvellous view you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, yes this shawl will be very warm and cozy
      We just recently moved to the lake-I appreciate these views every day

      Delete
  8. Love that pattern and the blue looks really good. I have been after one of those yarn bowls for a long time. Totally my own fault for putting off looking and purchasing one...I keep telling myself I'll do it and then I don't. That one of yours is very nice. Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I fell in love with this bowl and had to have it-even though I don't knit haha I found her on etsy

      Delete
  9. I've never seen a knitting bowl before, but I sure LOVE this one. You got lovely plants on it, too. Of course I adore your little bunny Barbara made you. She is always SO thoughtful. This is a beautiful design. I imagine you have to concentrate while working on the loom. I'd forget where I was if I didn't count properly. You are amazing with this design.

    I saw on Chris's blog you wanted to learn about creating pockets in letters. I was going to direct you to my blog sidebar where I taught pockets in altered books. However, when I went to leave the link, I found the photos had all been originally stored on my friend Scott's old off site server. All you see are empty boxes. Give me a few days to catch up and I'll reload the images to this post. IF and only IF you are interested, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, I would love that very much-let me know if you are able to load the photos. I really appreciate that very much.
      yes I have to keep track in my mind with this weaving pattern so I don't mess up-I took out a big section that I did mess up as I wasn't paying attention.
      Barbara is a very thoughtful person, this little bunny was sitting in that yarn bowl so now he is watching me at my loom haha

      Delete
  10. Happy Spring and that's a wonderful view over the lake! I love your pottery yarn bowl, the flower designs are so beautiful and it must be a joy to be using your loom again 😁. That little bunny made me smile, love it! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes it does feel really good getting back to my weaving. I fell in love with this yarn bowl and just had to have it-makes me smile it is so beautiful hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit