Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Seeds in Bottles & Buttermilk Biscuits & Loom

   Lots of wind and rain last night-so yep feels like Spring and March.  Over the weekend it was a little warmer with full sunshine. I decided to start making up some bottle greenhouses to start a few seeds.

   Here at the lake I don't have much space for a large veggie garden like I am used to having, but I am going to start being a little more creative this year. We are still waiting for the sewer project to get finished-they will be digging up some of the yard to do that so waiting on them to get this done. They started this project last fall.

   We do use allot of gallon water bottles for distilled water, which I use in our commercial coffee maker. This was designed to be serviced as it is quite a process to take apart-so with this one I only use distilled water so I won't have the lime build up.  I try to recycle when I can and making some of these bottles into "greenhouses" is perfect.

  I learned this technique from fellow blogger Carol that also lives in Missouri several years ago. I have tried different methods of starting seeds over the years and this is the best ever for excellent results.




I had saved 8 bottles and filled these with tomato, peppers, herbs, eggplant, and flowers, I will save more and start a few more herbs and flowers.

  Once the dock project is completed, and the sewer project is completed we can straighten out some things and hopefully start on my bricked outdoor cooking area this summer too.

   We had help over yesterday for the dock project so I made a big pot of homemade soup, apple-pear crisp (needed to use up that fruit) and I had buttermilk left over so decided to try a new recipe for homemade biscuits.  When I opened up the oven my eyes got wide and Wow  finally perfect biscuits. and I have never been able to make perfect ones. I forgot to take photos but mine looked exactly like the photo. Here is the recipe-a keeper.   and here is the photo from that site


I think what helped as well is using fresh buttermilk. I usually keep the dehydrated around that you mix up with water. and researching one can freeze fresh buttermilk so I will be doing that.

   Have an awesome day!


Update: I have been weaving for a couple hours this morning, and the harness's not going back down in place was getting to be a hassle-so I thought of a way to change up the tie up in the pulley system-and worked yeah  so I did a quick little video.  this room has turned into a "catch all" room-spinning wheels, a wall of shelving and vintage cabinets, and trunks with spinning and weaving supplies that did not fit into my craft room-and a big area of things to go through as well-so tried to keep the video views away from all the hodge podge of items around this room



18 comments:

  1. It's exciting you get to start seeds. I have thought about that this week as it's been so warm, but it's not suppose to last. Spring is on its way, or maybe even here. Hope your weather stays warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, this is what is nice about this method-most seeds except for very tender seeds can handle colder temperatures outdoors-and in the end they are very hardy and thick stemmed

      Delete
  2. Good job on the video. You have a great voice for this. This really helps me better understand the weaving process. The piece you are weaving is gorgeous! I will be keeping this biscuit recipe for sure. I am beginning to have a pretty good collection of recipes from your kitchen. I will also try your plastic jug method for starting seeds. Spring is such an exciting time, and wow today was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this method for starting seeds-and many can be started this way when it is snowing outside-just not tender veggies like tomatoes or peppers. I am happy you are finding some recipes-we don't eat many carbs especially breads but I knew most guys like biscuits and this is an excellent recipe-use real buttermilk not the dehydrated one.our weather is a bit cool again this week

      Delete
  3. Am I lucky we get really, really good tap-water from the Harz Mountains!
    No fuzzing around for anything. (I´d skip that for your lake, though).

    Oh, I remember those bottles from Australia - we don´t have that here.

    You can freeze buttermilk?!

    THANK ... not screaming... thank you for the video, oh boy, that looks complicated!!! Who has the brain to invent this?! Or work with that?! Not me, thank you for showing! You "just" pull it towards you in the end?
    So cool!
    Hups, late here, have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris-you are Never late visiting-hugs
      that's awesome to get good water from the mountains. wow I was thinking everyone used these bottles
      I looked it up-yes buttermilk freezes well so I am going to do that now so the container does not go to waste in the frig I do not use that much of it
      I am so happy you enjoyed the video! the back and front are on rollers-so as I finish weaving an area-I release the tension front and back-and roll in on to the roller in front-and it comes off the roller in the back to weave more-clever enjoy your day

      Delete
  4. Starting seeds in milk jugs has become a real “thing” with apparently great success. Good luck going into spring! You have a knack for loom weaving, Kathy, and for making videos. In spite of glitches, you have made great progress. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the video of your loom! What you have woven so far is really pretty. I am amazed at how complicated it looks-you surely know your way around it! We are still a bit too cold for outside growing, but by the end of March I'll start some peppers. Take care-have a great week-oh-your biscuits look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning thank you and I am happy you enjoyed the video.
      the nice thing about this method of starting seeds is that they can handle the cooler weather in these bottles. only one that might get slowed down are the tomatoes and peppers they warm up like mini greenhouses.
      this biscuit recipe baked up so well-have an awesome day hugs

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your video. It helped me understand the process better. I remember when you lived in the woods, how a video that long would never have posted. I bet you love the improved internet speed.

    Your biscuits sound great. When I buy buttermilk, there is never time to freeze it. I love it and would drink a quart in less than a week.

    You and Carol (Silver Spring Acres blog) have great luck with growing seeds in these containers. I never buy a gallon of milk, so I wouldn't get very far. So glad the system works for you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Elizabeth I am happy you enjoyed the video. Yes we had horrible internet service before so having wifi speed has been wonderful-for making videos and watch them too.
      My Mom loved buttermilk too-she was raised on a farm so would have drank it fresh but she still would buy it. Yes I am always greatful that I learned from Carol about starting seeds this way.-these are water bottles so am glad when I can recyle them into something useful

      Delete
  7. Your biscuits are beautiful!
    Great idea. The water jugs with spouts is the type I buy. They will be perfect made into little planters. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I learned about that bottle technique last year, but I haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful that you have your look up and running again! Your buttermilk biscuits look so yummy, I'll need to make some too now I've seen them ...lol 😉. I love how you recycled the bottles for your garden too - perfect! Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit