Thursday, March 18, 2021

Cast Iron Saturday

   Those of you that have followed me for awhile know I love my cast iron cookware. We have collected several pieces over the almost 40 years we have been together.

   I had attempted awhile back to set up a cast iron recipe day but that didn't have much interest, but I thought I might try sharing more recipes again using cast iron, since I enjoy using it and sharing recipes.

  Of course you can cook, grill, or bake most anything in cast iron pieces-It was what was used years ago. Cast iron is my go to kitchen tool-I just really enjoy cooking, grilling, and baking in it. 

  I joined a newsletter at Cast Iron Keto and from time to time they send out recipes to my inbox. I have gotten some good ideas from them, some not so much.  We are not on a keto diet, I personally do not believe in eliminating total food groups but I do get allot of ideas especially for baking with less carbs. The older we get the harder it is to work off carbs so I do try out new things using keto sweeteners and nut flours especially. We limit our cheese consumption and don't use as heavily as many on the keto diet do. My digestive system does not like allot of cheeses even though I love it-so I limit dairy to once a week at the most, unless it is Greek yogurt.

 We enjoy Southwest Mexican type dishes a few times a month,  so I am always on the lookout for new recipes that are a little different. Some days I just don't know what to make for our main meal-does that happen to you too? With these types of dishes one can decide on how much spicy heat you want as well. I change up recipes all the time.

  I thought I would share  Keto Enchilada Meatball Skillet  this week.  I haven't tried this recipe yet but looks delicious and is versatile with ingredients. I like that this site will give you ideas for changing up the recipes.  All the flavors for enchiladas are here without the carbs. You can change up the cheese's or spices as well. note this is their photo from above link.


 


   If you are new to cast iron cooking-baking-grilling, there is allot of information on the internet. Lodge is still in business and has been around for over 100 years and has allot of information on their site. Here is there tips for cleaning your pans  
     My personal opinion:  Please only buy USA Lodge, or vintage pieces like Wagner or Griswold, or Le Creuset, or others that are vintage or from Europe. There are also numerous small USA companies making their own style of cast iron-many can be pricey.  Please do Not use China made-I have yet to see a quality piece of cast iron come out of China-it's just Not the same. Most of  my pieces were found at resale shops, garage sales, or estate sales through the years and do have a skillet from my Grandma and also my Mom. 
    If you are on Pinterest I have a cast iron board there started years ago-You can find me there under Kathyinozarks in Missouri This is my cast iron board link
   I have no affiliation with Lodge but they are still here in the USA are constantly designing new items and they share lots of information, recipes, how to's on their site here  It's a great place to start. 
    I also learned allot about dutch oven (with the legs-coals under and on top) cooking-baking  outdoors by reading old cookbooks that used hearths in the 1700's.

Happy Friday and weekend everyone-and if you would like to share a recipe using cast iron kitchenware too-just share a post with link in comments.

9 comments:

  1. It sounds a fun way to cook. I don't have the strength these days to use cast iron, but my Auntie Fanny always used it. Have a fun day, enjoy your food! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie-Now I do have to use both hands to move it around but I still love using it

      Delete
  2. The dish looks delicious. Great links.
    At a thrift store I picked up a cast iron crepe pan, and put it back when the tag unfurled to reveal the $3.00 is actually $30.00. It must be vintage. I always use cast iron for my eggs and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes good cast iron can be pricey-I have found good deals on ebay or etsy at times, but most of our collection we found at yard sales etc. and Lodge made in usa is still reasonably priced and is good quality, I do prefer vintage though

      Delete
  3. Wow. I couldn´t live... well I could but... no cheese?!
    Ha. Yes. No idea what to cook on the weekend.
    Hubby is not a fan of low carb (but munched down the muffins I made, LOL! Men, eh?)

    You get ground chicken??? Unknown here. I have cheesy meat... oh, sorry, forget about that.
    Quality from China, hahaha....
    Cast iron kitchenware is unknown here or to me. But I´m just a beginner in that field. Oh,I crave Mexican food and Hubby hates it...
    Happy, yummy weekend anyways :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow yes we have ground chicken and also turkey is available, even turkey brats and sausages etc. its a nice alternative. I know right? I refuse to buy anything from china unless I just have no choice and really need it. I love cheese too but my stomach not so much.

      Delete
  4. I love Mexican food and that enchilada meatball recipe sounds fabulous and looks so delicious - yum 😀. Take care and wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy I do a lot of cooking in me grandma's old iron skillet. It has to be over 65 years old. I do chicken in the oven, cornbread (gluten-free) and recently started finishing my pork chops in the oven in this old skillet. Will check out your pinterest board. Have a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit