Friday, January 31, 2020

Saturday Afternoon Movie & a Trip Down the Past

  Since Sunday is Groundhog Day I thought I would share the movie:
             
                                       Groundhog Day

   A fun movie with Bill Murray where he keeps waking up to the same day.
I was bored with this movie-but it was memorable because it was filmed in 1993 at Woodstock, Illinois's town square-just down the road from where we lived. So of course all of the locals were excited about the movie crew coming to town.
  I remembered this was fun to see them change up some of the stores on the square for the movie.
     Woodstock square is still unique with it's brick paved road around the square of shops and business's, and at the time we lived there a very old large post office. In the center of the square is a grassy area with a large gazebo type structure that would hold ice cream socials and music in the warmer months. The town would also close off the square to traffic and hold huge craft and art shows-I really enjoyed those when we lived in that area-before 2003



Found online  A cynical TV weatherman finds himself reliving the same day over and over again when he goes on location to the small town of Punxsutawney to film a report about their annual Groundhog Day. His predicament drives him to distraction, until he sees a way of turning the situation to his advantage.
Release dateFebruary 12, 1993 (USA)
Image result for groundhog day movie photos


This movie got good reviews

I looked up some photos of the square in Woodstock Illinois
Image result for photos of woodstock illinois town square
Image result for photos of woodstock illinois town square

Image result for photos of woodstock illinois town square

An article on the town for the movie click here
This was the town's-and hub's favorite bakery-everything from scratch-doing this search I discovered the new owners closed it-that's sad They were world famous for their huge cinnamon rolls. an article here of the history of the bakery
Swiss Maid Bakery in Woodstock will close for good Saturday.

Happy Saturday-my second on the 2nd post is previous to this one

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, how fun to be there when a film was being made! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea you had a personal connection to the film. I've never seen it, so I will be inspired to check out the reviews. I am not sure it has ever been on TV, but maybe and I missed it. Thanks for sharing it, though. I bet it IS a good Saturday afternoon movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that movie was funny, Harold Ramis was a genius comedy writer. Once I tried to count the number of times he comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got tired of the repetition of this movie, so I didn't like it. But it's always fascinating when a movie is filmed locally, and you recognize the places in it while you're watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie is a classic. I love how people refer to it often (or at least we do at work) when it seems like the same thing keeps happening over and over. Nice pick this week Kathy. Hope yours Feb 2 isn't a repeat over and over. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun movie. Cool that it was filmed in your hometown. Even though things sometimes stay the same, sometimes they don't. Too bad about the bakery. I bet those cinnamon rolls were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen the movie-I'll have to look it up. That bakery sounds wonderful-too bad it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fun film :) I enjoyed looking at the location photos. What a shame about the bakery :(

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit