Saturday, January 11, 2020

A New Journal Page Just for Fun & Wintry Weather

  We are in a wintry event here in Missouri which started last night-with flooding rains. This morning no more rain but the ice came down for a couple of hours and now we have snow coming down lightly. A huge temperature drop for sure in the 50's F down to the low teens tonight. With the ice on the tree limbs I am thankful the strong winds have left us today-as of now.

  I don't sleep well with strong winds and hard rains-which lasted most of the night-Kinda cool though with the lightening over the lake.  I started reading a new book-really did not like it at all so deleted it from my kindle-glad it was a free one. It got really good reviews so perhaps I needed to read more but around 50 pages told me I really didn't care for it. Soooo Off to my craft room.

   I have wanted to try a little painting, I do have a package of small tubes of acrylics which I have been wanting to try out but I am not set up well yet -to keep the mess down, also I had purchased some crayola kids paints that were water clean up. So played a bit with those last night. When I went food shopping the other day I picked up this spiral mixed media paper pad that is just a bit bigger than than my junk journal pages. It said I could use paints on it. I should have put liquitex down first though to keep the page flat-I did liquitex front and back when I finished the paged before glueing into my junk journal.

  I know absolutely nothing about painting, watched just a couple you tube videos so far-so this is totally out of my comfort zone and Something New for me. This was a perfect topic that Jo chose for this month, as this was a goal of mine for 2020 to get out of my comfort zone and try new things

Note: all photos will enlarge just click on them



 and Last year I had picked up a few things from Crayola-pens and pencils, crayons

  After going back in on my last journal piece thinking I needed more-and ruined the page-I finished up with this one this morning and will not do anything more to it. Although after I took the photos I could see all those pretty purples in the bison and was tempted to add some purples into the water-nope haha

I am not going to add this to the Art Journal Journey page as my pages are pretty elementary at the moment But I do like this one. I cut it out from the new spiral mixed media pad and added to my junk journal page



I needed to cut this strip off the bottom of my page so it would fit my journal-I added it to the top page so not wasted



   If you have tips on how to make my painted trees look more real-would be appreciated-I watched one video but will need more practice with those. and I need to watch some videos on how to paint water. Now that I look at this again in the photos there is a little purple in the water.

    The buffalo was cut from my Yellowstone Forever magazine-they held an event for artists to come to Yellowstone to paint and then donate their pieces for a fund raiser for the park. I left the artists name on the buffalo.
   The cut out trees are cut from a coffee foil bag, used my trout stamp, and thank you for Deb's idea to print out the words and then glue down-never would have thought of that-I used one of the pencils to color in that white paper.

We were sitting down to our dinner a bit ago and a crow flew in-of course I got up slowly and grabbed my camera. I hear them all the time but don't usually see them up close. I sat back down at the table and zoomed in for the photos



You can see how foggy it is here with the drop in temperatures-I may need to crop these photos to not show the indoors.

Happy weekend everyone!!

7 comments:

  1. Crop not to show indoors? Made sense to me as I thought you meant the crow flew in-doors! But the photos are clear, good thing I was wrong. Painting trees is a challenge if going for realism. They are very often my downfall. Videos make it look easy, but it never is for me, so I settle for an impression of a tree. Did the buffalo have all the colors, or did you add them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful journal page Kathy, great colours, too. Good idea to try out new things, have fun with your paints. We have lots of crows here and they are very noisy. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your page also Kathy. The beauty of a journal page is that it is what it is. It can be anything you want it to be, good or even bad. And if you don't like it, you paint it over or just move on. Or at least that's what I tell myself and why I love to journal.Anyhow, your page is great. Hope you don't get too much snow. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had fun with the paints and creating a journal page. I heard crows this morning, but did not see them. Our temps were unusually warm and we broke some weather records. Stay safe, warm, and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, cool, lightning over the lake! Too precious to sleep anyways! ;-)
    Yes, I know, I had some of such books, too - I don´t make it to page 50 in those cases, though... Don´t have the patience.

    I love this work and it´s motto! Oh I haven´t been for a swim way too long!
    I love crows, clever birds.
    A nice rest-weekend to you and hugs, Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a huge drop in temps! Maybe the ground will be wet enough so the ice and snow won't stick around. Maybe the crow will settle in so you see it more often. They are fun birds to watch. Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your journal page looks fantastic Kathy, journals for me are all about what we create and feel at the time. There is a starting place and sometimes we don't want to share but we all feel this. I am thrilled you are trying new things and using your journal and I hope you will be tempted to add this to Jo's theme at Art Journal Journey.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit