Monday, January 27, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & My Last Week Catch Up

Happy T Everyone-our last Tuesday of January 2020-can you believe it??

  January for me usually feels so long and I can't wait to get to February but this year not so bad. We had lots of up and down weather-ice-snow-and spring like weather. We got to see the eagles at least every week and this past week every day. We had insulation blown into our attic-there was none up there at all, I started mixed media journaling with new ideas for me-it was a good month this year.

  You are most welcome to join us for T with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Only requirement is to share a drink related photo.

  Late last week Tuesday my computer monitor died, so if I missed visiting anyone at T last week that is the reason I didn't get to you. We had bad weather on Friday so the new monitor didn't arrive til Saturday Actually I got Larry's monitor and he got the new one-a curved one and much larger as his vision is not real good-It looks like a miniature tv lol. He has been watching allot of science and informative videos so this will be perfect for him.

  Last week I actually accomplished allot. I had already decided to move my 30" loom into the room off the kitchen. It is where my computer and oak desk are, and lots of shelving and vintage cabinets on the one wall. I am leaving room at the back of this room open so a blow up mattress will fit. We do get a couple of out of state visitors during the year.
   So I decided to move my spinning wheels, and a few other weaving and spinning items and set up around my loom. This gave me much needed room in my over stuffed craft room. (please excuse the dust-I am getting to that this week)

  My warping board-that one to the right of the loom with all the pegs will be hung up on the back wall. This is how I set up the warp-that yarn that goes on to the loom and gets threaded etc.
   This project has been half threaded on this loom for years-I have a mind block against this project for some reason. If this was not expensive organic cotton I would have taken this all out and be done with it-I will get this threaded by end of February-my goal for this coming month. The weaving part is fun.


When I was shopping at a huge flea market with a neighbor friend years ago-I fell in love with this cross stitch kit. I don't cross stitch but my friend does everything needlework-so she said she would stitch this for me. I love it so much and found a wooden frame for it.  I picked up the handmade pottery sheep at a garage sale too Now I can view it while weaving.


I brought over my stuffed animals so I can enjoy them more. The baby bison was a gift I picked up at Yellowstone Park for supporting their non profit Yellowstone Forever. Peggy had told me about it, and the gift can only be picked up at the park. The cow was a Valentine gift years and years ago from Hubs-it had a balloon for a long time. and my sheeps, and a few other little stuffed animals


I brought over this mini loom too-so I could free my desk space.


These Harley pigs and vintage chair always sat in a corner in the bathroom at the woods house-I couldn't leave them behind-found a spot here
  and in the back corner is my large frame for hand quilting


Over the weekend, now that I could straighten up my room again after the insulation was finished (I had to clear all the deep steps so they could get into the attic) I was able to get to my soap making supplies. 
  So I made soap over the weekend for me and a friend-I have one more batch to make today (Monday)

I now have space behind my desk and sewing area-that was full of spinning items. and I removed a small vintage trunk that sat on top of the green button cabinet-so this room feels so much better now

Those are old flannel sheets on top of the leather filled trunk that we used for moving things. I am going to make strips out of those and make one of those toothbrush rugs-or perhaps seat mats.


My desk now all set up for journaling I have ordered the things I need to make modeling paste-so I am excited to try that next.


Last week when I went through my bags of spinning fibers and organized them better when I put them back in the closet on those deep steps-I dug out some roving to finish spinning. The blue I had bought on ebay from a seller in Alaska-it is very soft, but it is a strange fiber to me-very elastic as it springs back to thicker yarn after spinning it. What I had spun before I did on my ashford spinning wheel and is very thick like a rug yarn. I am working it up on the drop spindle now.
   the other yarn is very soft and I am finally spinning it finer too I don't think I am improving my spinning until I see the bags of my very first attempts-those I may weave into mats and then felt them down a bit.



    Being without my computer for almost 5 days I can see I spend too much time on it. way too much time on facebook-I read allot of author and art groups there. so I am going to limit myself on facebook especially.  Too much politics over there right now too.

  During the week I brought out a small teapot I haven't used for some time. It has a little strainer that fits inside nicely-easy to clean. So I enjoyed allot of cups of teas last week. I am also working on using up the different loose teas I have had on hand for a very long time.

   and another little handmade pottery cup


This is a nice tea-only dried fruits



Just a few more photos-some of my soaps-lavender bars and calendula and ground oats in shea butter glycerin soap base



After these bars I also made matcha green tea soaps, rose soaps, and next up soaps in fishing motif molds.

Eagles were very active last week-we saw them every day including their youngster from last year


This move has been even more special to have a lake house with eagle neighbors.

Happy T Day everyone!

15 comments:

  1. Sorry your monitor died, but it sounds like it was a blessing as it gave you time to organize and craft. It was fun to see all the little things that give you pleasure in your room, the stuffed animals and needlework. That blue yarn from Alaska is a very pretty shade. I like your soaps, too. The molds are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the eagles, too. It must be awesome to see them every day. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you finally got your new monitor. Having time away from the computer can be a blessing in disguise. I learned that when I was so sick. The world doesn't stop if we don't post, but sometimes I believe it will (grin). I only wish I had been able to do something constructive while I was offline. You certainly made good use of your days. You sure got a lot accomplished and made your spaces more organized, too.

    Those are lovely soaps. In my haste to get rid of things last year, I gave away all my melt and pour soaps and molds. Yours are beautiful.

    I'm thrilled to see your desk and how it has transitioned to mixed media art. I look forward to seeing how you incorporate your new "hobby" into great art journals. One thing I learned about when taking that free journal course is you can use house paint instead of gesso to prep your pages. Who knew? I didn't.

    You had lots of tea this week, I see. I think using the "old" tea is a great idea and I may do the same soon. Thanks for inspiring me. Thanks, too for sharing your week with us, the eagles, the rooms you changed around, your mixed media desk, and your tea and tea pot with us for T this almost Tuesday. I'm thrilled to see you back online, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been really busy and got a lot done. Enjoy your new computer monitor. The cross stitch picture with the sheep is lovely, as are stuffed animals. Enjoy your fruit tea, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous progress settling in and planning ahead. I’m sure you are “over the moon” with all the eagles visiting regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were a busy lady Kathy. It goes to show you how much time a computer can eat up. Good for you to get all that moving and cleaning done. And soap making too. I like seeing your desk-all ready for more projects! I am jealous. Hope you have a fantastic week ahead and happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must need a good amount of space for your weaving materials and looms etc. Glad you found a space to be able to work with so well. I used to do a LOT of cross stitching but haven't done any in some years. Such a beautiful stitched scene your friend made for you to enjoy.
    Your soaps must smell wonderful , and they certainly look quite professional too!
    What a joy to see so much nature with all the birds and such nearby. Enjoy, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I have two monitors anyways (plus a laptop).
    Sad how we get "lost" when this technology says good-bye!
    Oh, that photo, LOL, I can´t even handle a simple sewing machine!
    Hm, aha, someone else who cannot let go of the stuffed animals ;-)
    But I promised I won´t add to the furry family anymore.
    Was it two or three years ago that Hubby bought stuff to make soap - he never did it.
    Those trunks look awesome!

    Off to make some tea now, despite Hubby put the heating on at 05:00 am it´s still cold.
    A happy T-day and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about the computer taking up too much time. I limit my FB to once a week for about 30 minutes. I check my groups and club pages, then I stop. I spend enough time writing blog posts, and then reading the blogs I like, and then I go do something. It helps that I have to move around a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got your monitor all sorted out 😀. Looks like you've been busy reorganising things and the sheep embroidery is so pretty! Oh, how I love the blue turquoise yarn that you are spinning - the colour is amazing! Such lovely soaps and it's so nice to see the eagles, how lucky you are to get to see them so often! Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, a bit of computer detox for you then... It sounds as if it wasn't too bad at all. You got to do lots of useful and fun things. And now you are back with a monitor and hubby has a new large one. I have a huge screen too as we don't have tv but I occasionally watch something on the 'big' screen. (through Amazon Prime we can access films in English).
    The eagles look impressive. What a wonderful thing that you have them near your house.
    I must say that soap looks beautiful. You could sell that on Etsy andmake some money out of your hobby.
    I like the cross stitch scene. I hope it gets a goodplace where people can see it.
    As for Facebook being such a timewaster. I totally agree, but I look at facebook and see faraway friends and what they are up to, and I like it and I so spend more time than I really intended.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are involved in so many different kinds of projects! Your soaps are lovely, and I always enjoy seeing your eagle photos. FB is the only place I go where I can discuss politics, and in these days I feel a great need to stay informed. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you’ve been very busy and such a lot of spinner items,.
    Your soaps like lovely, I particularly like the pink ones, I do love the handmade soaps, I have quite a few that I’m determined to use them instead of liquid soap as they smell lovely
    Happy T day, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was surprised you said the expensive organic cotton has been on the loom for years. How do you move something like that without messing it all up?! The yarn still looks clean and in good shape.

    It was fun peeking into your weaving/mixed media room and seeing all the
    fun stuffed animals and wonderful cross stitch. I bet they inspre you as you spin and weave.

    Your handmade soaps are absolutely beautiful! Wow, you really got a lot accomplished in January. Good luck with youor February threading goal.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you were very busy this past week. I love your stuffed animals. And those soaps look great. Your weather sounds like it has been similar to mine, with the temperature fluctuations. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! What a busy week! You turned a negative occurrence into a positive one ! You got through such a lot getting everything prepared! Your desk looks far neater than mine at the moment! I can only imagine how lovely your room smells- the soaps all look great! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit