Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A New Journal Page Something New

  Good morning everyone,
    I thought I would share my latest journal page. This one I was trying something new again. I will be linking up with Art Journal Journey with Jo's theme Something New

  After watching the mixed media video (I shared the link a couple posts back) about using gesso in different ways to create texture I had to try. The artist had suggested using a thick gesso but the one I had worked well for this technique.
   Another way to re use your tea bags. After your tea bag has dried from using, add the dried tea to your gesso and stir-and apply to your page. She was repurposing thin cardboard from packaging for her piece. Instead of glueing the two pages together as I have been doing in this journal I glued a third page.
   I am so happy with the results. I chose a paint that I had in my stash-see photo-and then added wintry photos from magazines and christmas cards.

All photos will enlarge just click on them. I was inspired by our wintry weekend-ice and snow for a few days.





After the paint dried and I did add a coat of liquitex over the surface, I still had a difficult time getting things to glue down. I ended up putting heavy books on this page and let sit overnite-it flattened out the page well and things are now glued down. The quote is a little loose around the edges but I am pleased with the results.

New to me was this texture technique, and using this paint. I have had this paint in my stash for a few years now-I had thought of using it on fabrics but worked perfect for this journal page

Thanks for visiting.

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous page Kathy, well done! Heavy books are always good for flattening things! Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a stunning winter page! I love the beautiful texture from the gesso background and how that texture captures the light with the metallic paint that you used 😁. The collage pieces create a wonderful wintry scene too - amazing! Thanks so much for joining us at Art Journal Journey again! Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x
    p.s. I forgot to say the other day that I watch Maremi On YouTube too, she is fabulous and I'm glad you were inspired to try out some of the techniques. Also gesso lasts for ages, it's like paint it shouldn't dry out. I was also wondering if you use a glue stick like UHU to stick down paper as sometimes I find it easier than gel medium as it doesn't get the paper so wet. Thanks again! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous page Cathy and really great idea to get that texture! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that textured silver background. This piece perfectly illustrates your wintry weather. I love the cardinals.

    Also: I saw your comment to Caty, that you thought you left a comment, but it didn't appear. I had the same problem on her blog, but my comment didn't appear. And it looks like that also happened when I left a comment for CJ. So if you also didn't receive a T-Day comment from me, I apologize, because I visited everyone (up to #19). Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! How rewarding to discover something new actually works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great page, Kathy! I really LOVE it!
    And how lovely idea to use the dry tee from the used tea bags with the gesso. I have to try it. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Hugs, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and weee, a fine idea to use tea!!!
    I got aquarelle-colors in tubes the other day - never worked with that, maybe I try such a combination? I have no idea what it is yet... Total newbie here... They also had acrylic colors and I have a guess I chose the wrong set... Let´s see (it´ll take a while here anyways). Hugs, Iris

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great page Kathy. I really like that bumpy background because you really caught the feel of snow and ice and winter! Hope your weather has warmed up and isn't quite so wintery. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got quite a bit of texture on this page. Fantastic. The cardinals really add a pop of color, but for me also signify Spring is around the corner. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous winters page Kathy and the new technique you tried had great results, I will remember this for the future and try it sometime. I am so pleased you are enjoying your journal and that you have shared this with Jo's theme at Art Journal Journey.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit