Wednesday, January 1, 2020

It's a New Day-Something New Journal Page

Happy New Year Everyone,

   I am jumping in this year to participate in the journal page challenges over on  Art Journal Journey   Jo chose the theme It's a New Day
     Oooops How did I miss reread that???

    I just went back when I set up the link and the theme is NOT It's a New Day but rather Something New
    Wow good thing I did not enter my page yet haha-oh well a good practice run for my first journal page using glues instead of thread. See way below how I fixed it so I could link up-smiles 😀

   Today being New Year's Day I wanted to jump right in and play in my craft room and then watch the Rose Parade later today (I recorded it to dismiss all those commercials lol)

  I had fun and enjoyed it-I am new with glues and liquitex and such. Perhaps because the glue was not yet dry for the elements? but when I sealed it over with the liquitex I got allot of wrinkling on my paper especially towards the top. Any suggestions?

Note: all photos will enlarge just click on them for better viewing

I took this photo and then decided to add some color in the sunrise


I used crayola's twistable crayons to highlight the sun






I decided to use a spiral herb recipe book for this year's challenges.
  The pages are construction paper which I glued two pages together with glue stick for this first page The journal pages measure 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"

In my paper stash I had a few papers left from years ago that my scrapbook friend had given me-I was making postcards back then. So that is the background piece of paper.

The red fox I cut from a Yellowstone desk calendar This red fox is jumping into a snowbank as he hears "food" in the snow

The snowflakes on the right I cut from a Christmas card

and I used one of my saved tea bags to write the message I used a crayola twistable crayon to add some color to the white tag and a very fine black sharpie pen



Ok now to re think for the actual right theme for this month's challenge

   Although this process with glue instead of slow stitching is something new for me-just need to show that in same way thinking I can add something new with glue not stitches
    This is how my mind works haha




12 comments:

  1. Really amazing, Kathy! Happy New Year, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think this is a GREAT first entry, Kathy. I'm totally amazed and it is SO much nicer than the first mixed media art journal entry I ever made. I look forward to seeing what others share about your wrinkles. You know my feelings on the subject, so I hope others have different ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful journal page Cathy, a great start in the year. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Kathy! I see depth in this piece. I’m getting that feeling, you know the one that makes me want to find something creative to do that I can handle. I love your large spiral herb recipe book as a base. Is it your plan to continue using the pages of this book for the challenge, and at the same time keep the book bound by the spiral? I’ll be giving this entire project some thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fabulous page! As it's based upon it being a "new" day this page fits the Something New challenge perfectly 😁. The jumping fox image is so beautiful - I love it 😁. So pleased that you chose to join us at Art Journal Journey, thanks so much! Wishing you a Happy New Year! Hugs, Jo x
    p.s. with regard to applying Liquitex as a sealer, I find it best to ensure everything has dried before applying and then apply very thinly and sparingly, let it dry thoroughly and then apply another coat if needed. Also I was wondering what glue you used to stick the image to the page in the first place? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to start the year. The problem with using liquid glue is the paper not the glue. If the paper is not a substantial paper like a heavy watercolor paper using (a lot of ) glue (as in layers) will cause the paper to buckle as regular paper or construction paper was not meant for wet media.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made your diary wonderful and creative, Kathy
    Nice to see you and I wish you a happy, creative new year!
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous page Kathy! I love the teabag message!
    Happy new year,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. An absolutely wonderful journal page and I do love the way you were thinking , a new day sounds good to me as well. The colours of the background are beautiful and its a fabulous mixed media page. Thank you for adding this to Jo's theme at Art Journal Journey and I am looking forward to seeing your journal pages in the coming year.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of twistable crayons. I've had trouble with wrinkling, too, and blame the lightweight paper I've used. I've quit trying to seal things, but since all I make is ATCs, I don't figure it's necessary. I'll follow comments here to see what other people suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great page, I love the jumping fox and the way you have done the sky with your twistable crayons. No idea what they are so will look them up in Google.
    I was thrilled to see you had used a teabag - I got hooked on using teabags and did quite a few pieces of artwork on them.
    Really enjoyed seeing your page and hope you do some ore soon.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this page Cathy - fabulous image of the fox and I love the tea bag - something else I have a bag full of! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit