Monday, November 1, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday and Black Walnuts

   Hi Everyone, Wow It's November-where did October go? I would love a re do of October. 😃  It's also time for T with friends, just share a drink related photo and join us at Bleubeard and Elizabeth-link in my side bar

   If you missed my post on black walnuts a few days ago,  here is the link  I did start the recipe for the salve over the weekend. Infused the black walnut hulls in olive oil and coconut oil for 2 hours and now it is sitting for a week before I will strain it and make the salve. I need to dig out the ingredients for that, I am pretty sure I have the clove essential oil.

  I also went through the nuts from 2 years ago and saved up two small boxes of the dried hulls that I could get off the nut-and then put the nuts out for the squirrels. I had dried them on the nut per the suggestion from my dye teacher at Fiber U one year. I think I prefer the hulls off-seems like I would get more of the dye for the ink which is inside next to the nut.

  I decided from this year's crop (which is huge) to take the hulls off of a bunch of the nuts and dry those along with some of the nuts. and I also left a few with the hulls on.  last time I just threw them in the box and tried to remember to stir them up a bit-some were a bit moldy from neglect. This time I laid out cardboard and papers for them to dry on. Ideally this would be nicer on racks but I don't have any racks for craft use


Photo below shows the nuts drying and I forgot how wet they are I chose the largest ones to later crack and see what's inside I needed to change the papers on the nuts


For the slave recipe, this was to infuse in warm water on the stove-but no bubbles are to appear or would be too hot



  I am determined to make ink. I appreciate those of you that commented on the other black walnut post. One friend said that she never boiled her hulls just let them soak in water. I have read allot of different posts online and there are so many similiar but different ways to make this ink. I like the suggestion of grinding up the dried hulls and then whirling them up in a craft blender. The article I read then used three layers of nylon stockings to hold the fine powder-do they even sell those anymore??  Thinking about this method more I don't think I want to mess with a find powder, but will simmer the hulls instead, strain and reduce further.  I will need a couple warm days though to do this outdoors over a fire-not a good idea to do this in the house.

  I did remember last night that I had picked up a book before we moved to the lake.  The Organic Artist by Nick Neddo. It is about making your own art supplies. inks-even from acorns and berries, your own paints, crayons, brushes and much more His recipe for the black walnut ink was simmering the hulls in a slow cooker-I still don't like the idea of having the strong odor in the house. He also suggests adding hide glue-which is the original recipe from many years ago as a binder. His book even has a recipe for that. Or he suggest plain gelatin.  There is pokeberries here at the lake house, so I may just play with pokeberrry ink next year fall. Never thought of that.

  I am also thinking that this ink will not be lightfast or permanent, not sure if the binder will help with that-anyone know?

  This is really a very interesting book to just read and be informed or to make some of these items. 



Monday morning's sunrise


I am still too congested in the mornings, more so than usual during the changing of the seasons. So I am still drinking a cup of healing herb tea but have added marshmallow root with the mullein. I bought a couple boxes of tea bags as the bulk organic marshmallow root is pretty expensive. I should look into growing that.


and then mid morning I have been brewing up my decaf coffee in the French Press and some  mornings just need a little cream haha I haven't used this little handmade cup in awhile. I have a set of four with saucers. Made by one of our pottery friends before we retired.


Happy T and Happy November everyone

47 comments:

  1. Hello-and another nice post! Always love visiting you-I learn so much! About the ink I made-I just put water in the pail with the nuts in various forms of decaying-some were whole, some with the hulls brown, and so on. I let this soak and soak and did not boil it or add anything else. After a long soaking time-say 2 months or so-I poured it through cheesecloth and into a jar. I probably did have to add water while it was soaking to replace what evaporated-but not much. I didn't use a lot of water to soak the nuts, so I didn't get a lot of ink. I just wanted a nice concentrated ink that would be enough for us to write with. It worked very well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Debra-awesome thank you, I may just try a batch this way too, may need to wait til spring so it doesn't freeze on me outdoors. Years ago I did that to make a dye. I had forgotten about that-it dyes a lovely rich brown

      Delete
  2. You have been busy again! Hope your salve turns out well. I dies some paper today with home made coffee ink and then sprinkled it with walnut powder. I hope it dries well! Happy T day, have a great week and a happy November! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this book mentions coffee ink too-I need to try that-anxious to see how your art project works out fun!

      Delete
  3. The black walnut project is too big for me, but it's always great to learn something new. I am not even sure what pokeberries are ....
    That's a stunning morning sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have dyed with pokeberries on wool but it is not lightfast, colorfast so am curious about ink with it.
      thanks we do get some lovely lake views in the morning

      Delete
  4. This is really an interesting post Kathy. I never thought of making my own nut ink or salve, so I enjoyed reading this. It sounds like a great project, I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see how you make ink. I put that book on my list to get from the library! I would love to make my own art supplies.
    I love making salve but I have never made any out of walnuts. I find homemade salve works so much better than some of the store bought ointments. My favorite is a garlic first aid salve.
    Hope your congestion clears up. It's that time of year for sure.
    Happy Tea day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate, I enjoy making salves and balms too, I follow recipes from Jan the Nerdy Farm Wife-link in the other walnut post-her recipes are all really good. the garlic first aid salve sounds interesting-thanks

      Delete
  6. Your coffee cup looks so nice - especially with the cream on top!!! That book looks interesting, but I think I'm a bit too lazy to make my own art supplies even though it sounds tempting. I feel then I don't have any time left to put these supplies to use! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done allot of natural dyeing, eco printing with plants etc so for me it is a fun project. I have been wanting to make a ink for awhile now so am anxious to try it-if not too windy we are getting warmer weather next week so maybe. Happy T

      Delete
  7. Finally catching up to write here. Today is my birthday and I have had so many calls and texts. My sister came to see me which was unexpected but quite wonderful! I have an old crock pot in the garage that I use for dying. I read somewhere to add alcohol to the walnuts. Do you know about that? I love your handmade cup! And the cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Mary!! so happy your sister came for a visit and you got lots of calls and texts-hugs.
      an old crock pot sounds perfect for the black walnut ink making. when I have read different articles online-some add nothing, some add alcohol, and the book suggests the hide glue as a binder-I am going to try that first

      Delete
  8. I was quite impressed that you have started this project now. If you want finely ground walnut powders, I suggest a coffee grinder. I have three and one grinds at different thicknesses. I've ground everything in mine, from cinnamon sticks to star anise to bio char. It cleans out so well, too. Of course, I have one dedicated to my coffee beans.

    That is a lovely coffee cup and I really like the way you added cream, too. Sorry to read about your congestion. I've never heard of marshmallow root, but I'm glad you have found something that helps. Thanks for sharing your black walnut experiment, your herbal tea, and your French press coffee with us for T this almost Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do have a blender that is just for crafts so I would probably do small batches in that-but I am thinking now I don't want to work with fine powder as it could get breathed in if not careful. I have heard of the marshmallow root for asthma before but this is the first time I am trying it out

      Delete
  9. I like the organic ideas. And you really have plenty, so why go and buy stuff!
    Hope you have loads of fun in the process :-)
    Awww, the sunrise... truly very romantic and beautiful.
    Have a happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Iris-I am hoping to find nice nuts inside, and if the weather really warms up next hope to try making the ink. Happy T

      Delete
  10. Wow, I am so impressed you are making salve and ink from walnuts. I can't wait to see and hear how it come out. Great looking cups and drinks. I am having a lot of drainage too - the weather does a lot of things to us. We are more connected to it that people seem to realize. Great post, Kathy. Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree we are all very connected to our environments for sure In the past I would make an herbal salve or balm from time to time-they are fun to make too-connects with the land a bit.
      Happy T

      Delete
  11. Walnuts are amazing! One can do so many things with them. When hubby started buying trees to plant, I insisted that he buy a nut tree. I have mad a liquor once and i use the nuts for cooking of course.
    Your sunrise is spectacular!
    Your coffee and cream look very inviting. I think I'll make myself one. But I don't like cream. We have a little machine that makes froth out of a bit of milk. I use my soya milk to do that and I love that on my coffee.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuts are amazing I agree, so much can be done with them. almond flour is huge right now here in the states for very low carb baking, and I found a company that makes really good nut milks with no additives no sugars
      That sounds fun to have a machine to make froth with any milk-awesome Happy T

      Delete
  12. Making your own supplies adds a whole new dimension to the art. What a beautiful sunrise! I like using a French press and _love_ your little handmade cup. It looks like the perfect size. So many cups and mugs these days are way too big for me. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the smaller cups too Most are just too large and they get heavy and my coffee gets cold too quick too. I have a few of the smaller handmade cups Happy T

      Delete
  13. I have never made walnut ink. From colleagues that have done it, it really stinks so they make it outside. I'm guessing without a binder like rabbit or fish glue, the walnut ink will not be waterproof. It may not be light-fast either, meaning over a short amount of time, it will fade. Just a guess, I'm not sure. I buy walnut ink crystals. They are actually made from peat, and the ink that you make is a nice, warm brown. If I am travelling to a conference and need to bring ink, I bring the crystals as I don't have to worry about ink bottles on train, plane, or automobile. Good luck with making ink. I bet the pokeberries will make a nice color, too. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, I bought the hind glue-just a little bit of it to try out for a binder, didn't know about the fish glue. that is a great idea for you to take along the walnut ink crystals and then make into the ink. I found those on amazon Happy T

      Delete
  14. Wonderful post. The work you do to make natural ingredients is admirable.
    Lightfastness is a concern. Searching Internet doesn't answer for sure, but does say there is some fading. I'd look to see if there is an additive to increase lightfastness, and then research how well it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree my husband brought that up so am going to do some research on that. he says well the old days one of the reasons they rolled the papers and also kept them out of the light. Happy T

      Delete
  15. I would love to have a walnut tree in the garden, I love walnuts. I have some walnut to make ink with, I bought it last year I think. I also have that book, I can't remember if it was that one or another one that talks about making a paintbrush from cat's whiskers. I've been saving every one that falls of the cats, I probably have enough for a brush now, but a very small brush lol. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this book does have a chapter on making brushes--love that you are saving the whiskers-hugs

      Delete
  16. Your home made, home baked endeavors are impressive Kathy- I don't think there's anything you couldn't do! And that book looks very interesting, and perfect for you:)
    Stunning sunrise!
    Your French press coffee looks so good. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sunset is amazing. Good luck with your art ink experiment. Way beyond what I would consider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you much, I am mostly a fiber artist so I have done allot with eco printing and natural dyeing-so this will be fun for me to make

      Delete
  18. Wow what a fantastic post. That is a great stash of walnuts. I a very allergic to them sooooo. Your cream in the coffee looks so good. You are the only one who mentioned that I forgot to list the flour in my cake recipe. 2 1/2 cups. Thanks I fixed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Monday mornings sunrise looks beautiful.

    Wishing you a happy November.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. My SIL in France has been pickling her walnuts this week, she said her hands were in a dreadful state. I think I'd prefer ink :-) Fabulous sunrise - I'm sure your coffee tastes even better looking at that, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes one must have good plastic gloves for sure-the dye will stay on your hands for a long time. thanks Chris yes the cream is a little splurge

      Delete
  21. What an interesting post. I would have never thought of making my own ink. We used to have a walnut tree, but used them for eating. Or sometimes we left them out for the squirrels. That book sounds like an interesting book to find out a lot of great things. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sharon, yes this book is full of information. I grew up with a huge one in our yard and we always cracked them open and saved the nuts-very time consuming as they come out in small pieces

      Delete
  22. I have never made my own ink, Kathy, but your technique looks interesting. Also the book looks interesting, I will try to find it in Greece. And what a lovely sunrise photo of the lake, my friend! Thank you so much for sharing. Kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is amazing that you do ink organically out from scratch. Inspired. I only used coffee for vintage look. Beautiful morning sunrise there. Love the handmade cup too.
    Happy November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much this will be my first time making ink and this salve, but I have done allot of natural dyeing on fabrics in the past

      Delete
  24. An interesting post Kathy! I love the sunrise over the lake 😍

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit