Friday, October 29, 2021

Black Walnuts For a Healing Salve or Ink and Dye

   Those of you that have black walnuts nearby, do you use them?

Growing up we had a huge huge black walnut tree that produced an abundance of nuts every two years. My Mom had us take the skins off (with gloves), we dried the nuts and then we cracked them in the basement. Dad had a big log stump and little table that we sat at down in the basement and we all took turns cracking the nuts. These are allot of work because the shells have so many cavities that you don't get a half a nut whole like in many other nuts.  I always loved the different taste these nuts have too, very earthy and excellent in quick breads like pumpkin or banana breads.

  I still have not made the ink or the dye from my harvest two years ago-sigh Just not really set up for this kind of mess-really needs to be done outdoors. This year we have double the crop and the nuts are much larger too. These may contain some nice nuts inside I am thinking. My last harvest have very little nuts inside.

   I follow and have a couple of books from Jan the Nerdy Farm Wife, and every recipe I have made from her has always turned out so well. She sent us a recipe for Black Walnut Salve here is her photo


and depending on what oil you choose-you will get different colors of salve-the salve on the far left is from black walnut powder which one can purchase.


  This salve is used for rashes and she answered my question-"Will black walnut salve stain your skin?

No, once the hull has been infused into oil, it won’t stain your skin. (However, fresh black walnut hulls that have not been infused into oil will certainly stain!) "


  I have all of the ingredients in my "stash"  so I am wanting to make this recipe.


  It needs to warm up a bit outdoors though for me, or when the sun comes out and the wind dies down I can then go outdoors and work a bit.   I would like to separate the hulls from the nuts to see if there are nuts inside this year too.





 


Happy Friday everyone


Update: after Valerie's comment that she uses black walnut powder to make her ink-easier-I looked up how to make it

  I  found this site for information making ink or dye from scratch  One needs to dry the hulls and then blend in a craft blender (not a blender you use for food) to a powder. 

 

   Just found a good tutorial-making the black walnut powder-and boiling down to make ink  here  I need to dig out my notes from two years ago when I wanted to make ink-those if I remember right were not making the powder first before boiling down into ink or dye. This article says the more surface area the better for getting a deep color-which sounds right to me


  Valerie's sounded more instant- just mix. I did find on Amazon  

Tsukineko WIINK001 Walnut Ink Crystal where you just mix with water on how dark you want the ink. 

Anyone else buy the powder to make into ink?  What I found was pretty expensive and would still need to be boiled down for the ink

  

   Ok anyone interested in making some black walnut ink?   I am pretty sure this needs to be boiled outdoors do to the strong odor though This may be a good spring project


19 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great deal of work! Mind you fresh walnuts must be the best! I make a chocolate and walnut cake which I imagine using straight off the tree walnuts would double the good taste. What are those walnuts salves used for other than rashes I did enjoy reading about how you shelled the nuts when you were a child… good memories I am sure. Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda this is what she says Black walnut salve is useful for things like athletes foot, fungal rashes, toenail infections, ringworm, psoriasis, and various skin woes. If you have a longstanding mystery rash on your arm or leg and no one is quite sure what it is – try some black walnut salve and you may find relief!

      black walnuts are much different than english walnuts they have a much stronger flavor-yes good memories

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathy. There's a huge walnut tree by the Rhine and I often pick up walnuts, but I put them out for the squirrels. I have back walnut powder if I want to make ink, that's easier and not such a mess. It's bedtime here, so I'll say goodnight, my pains are bad nd I need to rest. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you are dealing with so much pain-hugs hoping for a restful sleep.
      I want to make black walnut ink but it is a big process from scratch, perhaps I will look for the powder and a recipe thanks

      Delete
  3. We used to have black walnut trees right behind my childhood house too. They were always so hard to get out though,so we never did much with them. The number we had were nothing like your harvest. Wow Kathy. That is a lot of black walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is many more nuts this year than 2 years ago and much larger too-which is strange as we had a hot dry summer. these are allot of work to get the nuts out for sure-

      Delete
  4. Wow you have walnut tree with lots of walnut, here the nuts are luxury and pricey. Love the memory of your gathering with family for cracking the nut shells. Interesting about nuts lead to ink making. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes this is allot of walnuts from not big trees either. hoping it doesn't mean a rough winter. these are very expensive in stores here too. Happy weekend

      Delete
  5. I only saw black walnuts on amazon stores...thought they were fermented or something. This is really interesting...always learn something new from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie-these black walnut were used allot way back in early American culture. here in Missouri companies still pay for truck loads of these nuts by weight if you gather them up and bring them to them. we had a friend that used to do that when he was young-but he said you needed allot of nuts for any money

      Delete
  6. No walnut trees around here, black or otherwise. But an interesting post Kathy.
    Happy weekend to you!
    Hugs,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. About 20 years ago I made walnut ink. I didn't boil the water
    I just added water to the pail the nuts were in and let it soak for a while. Then you have to strain it off and bottle it. The ink never spoiled and it was a beautiful color-also it was the consistency of ink-not like water. We have a huge crop this year so I'm doing the same process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow Debra, thank you I have not read anywhere about not boiling it down thank you much. that would save from having to to boil outdoors as it would have to strong of a smell indoors. thank you much
      did you just add enough water to cover the husks?

      Delete
    2. did you dry the hulls on to to the nuts and then soak those?

      Delete
  8. I have no idea how I missed this post, Kathy, but I'm glad you shared a link to this on your T Tuesday post. I was intrigued, but I have no black walnuts around here. I have read you can buy black walnut powder to make your own dye, but I never thought of salve. Good luck finding a warm windless day, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I looked online and here they seem to call it black walnut crystals I saw it on amazon I don't live by any craft stores but hobby lobby might carry it if you have one of those near you. Valerie mentioned that she works with the black walnut powder that she purchases.
      yes finding a windless day and warm will be something this time of year haha

      Delete
  9. Never heard of these kind of nuts! Nice memories you have and weeeee, those are many indeed!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit