Thursday, October 14, 2021

Slow Cooker Baking--Updated with Results

   Last week I made an apple-cherry crisp in my West Bend Slow Cooker-yummy. These crisps bake up really well in this appliance



  The West Bend has always been my preferred slow cooker. Been using this brand of slow cooker for at least 30 years or more. They have just upgraded these too recently.  I like the shape of it-will fit a nice roast or whole chicken and it has heat settings from one to five.  The market interchanges the name slow cooker with crock pots. Crock pots have only two settings hot or low, and they usually have a ceramic insert.  I have never cared for the crock pots much. 

   I bought one when we still had deer camp so I could have chili going all the time on low and would also free up my West Bend. I should try to sell that now.

  I have been browsing Pinterest and online for baking recipes using slow cookers (since my oven broke awhile back)  When they show the photos they are calling for a slow cooker but are using a crock pot with the ceramic insert instead-with only the two heat settings.

  I wanted to experiment today with chocolate chip cookie bars-using keto sweeteners and gluten free Bob's Red Mill flour. When I read the comments most everyone said their cookies were burnt on the bottom and on the edges and not done in the middle. So I found the rack that fits into my West Bend that I lined with parchment paper. Then I found a bread pan that just fits inside on top of the rack-that I oiled a bit along with a piece of parchment paper on the bottom.

   When I am baking outdoors in a dutch oven I always do the same-parchment paper than a trivet and then the pan on top-to keep the bottom from burning. So I am applying the same idea with my slow cooker.

  I just set it up and will check on it every hour. The time of baking seems to be all over the place, and I set this on 4 1/2 instead of all the way up to the 5. Thinking will take a couple hours.



I decided to only use half of the cookie dough-for better baking-hopefully

Stay Tuned for the results-I am hoping this works.

7:15 pm

  We have good results-and was surprised the parchment paper on the bottom under the rack did not brown at all

This took about 2 1/2 hours to bake.

This first photo is at the hour mark


I was waiting for this to pull from the sides a bit more but thinking 2 1/2 hours should be enough time to bake through and it was 


Pretty good bake especially with keto sweeteners and gluten free flour
   I will bake up the other half of the batter tomorrow So am quite pleased, I am thinking brownies will bake up well this way, and may try an upside down cake with this method.


   This is the recipe I adapted from a Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe

2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1-1 gluten free flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking spice
1/4 cup butter-softened, and 3/4 cup coconut oil softened
3/4 cup splenda-or a keto sweetener of choice
3/4 cup  swerve brown sweetener, or coconut sugar
1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups your choice chocolate chips-I use dark chocolate chips or a keto dark chip
optional-1 cup chopped nuts, or fine coconut unsweetened

Beat the butter, coconut oil, and sweeteners, and vanilla extract  til creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. add the baking soda and 1 cup of the flour til blended, and then add the other cup. If it needs it add in 1/4 more of the flour.

  Follow above for baking in a slow cooker.

and I got these sweet stamps in the mail today-I pre ordered them at usps online I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them-Otters in snow



11 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this time of slow cooker. I can slow cook on my instant pot, but I haven't tried it. I'm curious to see how your cookies come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't work with the new instant pots. This west bend slow cooker has been around for a very long time. when my Husband and I got together over 40 years ago he had one and I had one too haha. It can also be used as a griddle without the pan but I have never done that. they are sometimes hard to find locally so then I buy one online. I was checking and they have upgraded these with a choice of a larger one. They seem to last me at least 10 years or more-this time I am being very careful not to scratch the surface by using only plastic utensils. these did come out really good

      Delete
  2. That's a very different slow cooker. Will it work in a standard slow cooker? YOu know, just dumping them in the ceramic pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried baking a pineapple upside down cake in the crock pot with the ceramic pot but the problem was only two temperatures-one high and one low that's what I don't like about those. I had it on high for an hour and then put it on the low setting to finish so it would not burn-it was edible but not a success. perhaps it would work better if you could find a rack that fits inside and then a pan on top of that but the oval is a hinderance for the length needed

      Delete
  3. Your bars look so good. They are probably better baked in the slow cooker than they would be in an oven. I definitely need to try this gf bar,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beautiful stamps, and my mouth is watering thinking of your delicious baked goods, yummy. I have a slow cooker and have never used it, shame on me! I must try it soon. Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess I've never even HEARD of a slow cooker. I have FOUR crock pots, two large and two small. I mostly use them when I serve fondue. I cooked a chicken in the crock pot once and it was so juicy, the juices leaked out over the edge and I had a heck of a mess to clean up. I'm so glad you like your slow cooker and I am glad it will take the place of your oven, especially now that the baking season will be on us soon. I loved that cookie dough cake. I don't really know what else to call it.

    Nice stamps, too, dear. Have a super weekend, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slow cookers-crock pots are nice to use especially if serving food for a group of people. I am ready to have my oven back though haha with the holiday baking coming up. Happy weekend

      Delete
  6. Great recipe to try, thank you
    West Bend is the brand of slow cookers I used for years.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit