Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Black Walnut Ink-Finished it up Today & a Journal Page

  Sunday late I grabbed a dye pot filled it up 3/4's full of black walnuts whole with the husks that were black, and also just the husks that were black. These were fresh from the big pile of nuts I had collected.  

  Monday I set up the big Weber grill with a big pot-old from water bath canning now a dye pot, and simmered it from early morning til late afternoon. I used a whole bag of charcoal in the process.

   This was the dye pot that was full to the top with water and hulls, nuts

Above pot got poured into this pot and then filled it 3/4 full with added water


The level of water went down a little more after this photo-took it down to half of what I had to start with


I totally forgot to take a photo of the strainer set up. In one of my garage sale finds I found a commercial size stainless strainer with a long handle and a hook on the opposite side-perfect for dye projects. 


I decided easy to strain off if I squeezed out the nuts and pulp first before adding to the strainer.  I strained it once then 3 times more with cheesecloth.


    Below are the large size Clasico spaghetti jars that I saved over the years. They are a little larger than a quart and they were actually real canning jars at the time. So I didn't feel bad using these jars for this project. 

I filled 4 jars with 2 cups each and 2 jars with 3 cups each of the Black Walnut ink.
  
   After straining I could have boiled down to half again. Some articles did that some did not. 

  I added two whole cloves to each jar. From what I have read and what CJ mentioned too, calligraphers that make their own black walnut nut ink use clove essential oil and I read about whole cloves.  and do not add anything else.
   Many recipes I read add lots of vinegar and salt-no I didn't want to do that.
I did order the wintergreen essential oil to help preserve, so perhaps I may also add that in to one of the jars.
   I had read and also CJ mentioned that mold on the ink is ok, as it is beneficial to the ink and you just easily remove it.


Today was such another warm day that instead of boiling the ink down again, I worked on the rock project. Finally got the stump that was in my way out of there, so now I am bringing up rocks, and am also needing to dig out some of the soil as well.  I wanted to go back out late this afternoon but I am stiff and sore so my body is saying wait til tomorrow. 

Of course I wanted to try out the ink. During my time reading lots of articles online, I ran into one that uses this on watercolor paper for drawing and painting.  So I decided I wanted to try that.

I used a heavy watercolor paper, and added to my painting journal.

    I stamped the leaves, acorn, and squirrel with regular ink, and then the tree I painted on the black walnut and stamped it. With a fine watercolor brush I filled in the stamped images, wrote Fall and made a few curvy lines to hopefully resemble some wind or movement in the leaves.






 I took a photo of the lake out our windows this afternoon. Gorgeous colors this year. Last year they were mostly brown with no pretty fall colors



Thanks for stopping by, and I will share this post over on Art Journal Journey for Chris's theme all kinds of weather.   Fall to me is perfect weather when there is a slight breeze and it rains leaves.

36 comments:

  1. It has been a lovely fall here this year too! What will you do with all of this amazing ink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this can also be warmed back up and used to dye with, I tried working with it like watercolors and enjoyed that too

      Delete
  2. That ink creates a really fabulous color. Much better than the walnut ink I've bought and tried; maybe that is just too processed. You've got a great art product here Kathy. I love your latest page. It is a beautiful fall page and perfect for Chris' challenge. Thanks so much for sharing with us, not just your page at AJJ but also all about your ink. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is no color that can compare to that of black walnut. I am going to get my walnuts simmering tomorrow. I love your journal page. Our trees are getting so pretty now. It was nice today, but change is on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary-this is exciting! Let us know how it goes with your ink making. I am thinking this can also be reheated and use as a dye, and I liked playing with it on watercolor papers.
      we are getting a bit cooler every day this week, and I just saw rain coming in-sigh I have much to do outdoors yet

      Delete
  4. I am just so impresed you made ink, Kathy. The color is very vivid and I can't wait to see other things you make with it. Love the leaves and the feeling of movement. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been having some really awesome Fall weather this year too. The Fall page looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Angie, we are having a lovely Fall so far here in Missouri

      Delete
  6. Your ink looks great, and loev the beautiful journal page, thanks so much for joining us at AJJ. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the continuing saga of the black walnut ink. I am so glad you shared how you made it. It sounds like an all day process, but well worth the effort. The ink turned out fantastic. It sure was lovely on your journal page. I was most impressed and of course, I also loved that you shared it with us at art Journal Journey using Chris's theme. But I can't wait to see what else you create with your dye, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth-yet it is a process a few days for sure from start to end

      Delete
  8. It looks like you now have a good store of ink ready for future use Kathy.
    I loved the autumn leaf page you created and linked to Art Journal Journey, the colours and weather at this time of the UK for me are lovely as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne thank you, we have a really beautiful fall here so far Happy mid week

      Delete
  9. your painting looks amazing... i love diy's alot... nice of you to make an ink from stratch

    Glowyshoe's blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gracious Kathy you have been busy. I have wanted to make my own walnut ink for several years and just haven't managed to find the time. Love the idea of doing it outdoors. That way the mess can be easily cleaned up. Your drawings are gorgeous and so meaningful using your own ink. Thanks for sharing the directions and tips. Now I will know where to come when I want to tackle this project. Have a lovely day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the odor from simmering would be too much in the house. Thinking the Weber set up was perfect-I could just keep adding charcoal which was about every hour enjoy your day-hugs

      Delete
  11. I love your handmade ink, Kathy. And it looks great on your beautiful page.
    As for the fall colors on the lake, they are really gorgeous. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, thanks much it was a fun project. and yes we are enjoying a gorgeous fall this yar-hugs back

      Delete
  12. A lovely Autumn page and wonderful photos!
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with the ink Kathy.
    Hugs,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing how it emerges to many jars of ink. It is perfect. Love the rains leaves and acorns. Beautiful lake with fall color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ink turned out beautiful! That is a perfect setup you have to boil it. I liked your post about Veteran's Day too. I also have family that were in the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. My step-Dad served in WW2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra, I agree this set up worked out really well for this project. I was working outdoors anyway on the rock project so checked it about every hour to add more coals I started really early in the morning as it took awhile for the water to heat up and then simmered til around 4 in the afternoon-let it sit overnite and next day strained it. I did also soak it all for 24 hours first. If I wasn't pressed for time with the weather change-I would have simmered it down to half again-but I am pleased.
      Happy Veterans Day to your family of veterans-hugs

      Delete
  15. Your walnuts are really providing you some great opportunities to use them in different ways. Such a lovely colour ink too!
    Thanks for making this page for my theme at AJJ. The colours by the lake are very beautiful. It must be lovely now it is quieter too, hugs, Chrisx


    !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chris, yes we are loving the peace and quiet at the lake now-a beautiful autumn here this year

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Kathy for explaining to me how you can make black ink from walnuts. By the way a laborious task, but it has an excellent result!
    I tell you that here we are ending spring, the tourists are about to arrive and the rhythm of the city begins to change. If you want to know my city I leave you the link
    https://norma2-siempreesprimavera-norma2.blogspot.com/2011/11/mar-del-plata.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed the post about the ink. we live on a lake so tourist season is finally over-happy dance haha I will check out your post thanks

      Delete
  18. Good on you for making your walnut ink. Looks like it turned out really nice. Another fun thing to do, get some Dr. Ph Martin 18K Gold ink and drop a little into your walnut ink. It will give a mottled effect and some shine. You can never have too much bling. Have fun on your calligraphic journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much CJ and thank you for the tip with the gold ink-I appreciate that-agree bling is a good thing-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit