Sunday, November 21, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday Craft Projects & Tamales & a Bit More

    Hi everyone,

       Happy T Stands for Tuesday where we gather over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog for T. You are most welcome to join us just share a drink related photo in your post and link up. Have fun visiting everyone

    Last week I ended up getting some things done-at least it feels like I have been busy-haha.

   I have not yet started weaving-sigh, I am too tired to concentrate in the evenings, or my days have been busy it seems-a good thing though.

  I did grab my big Yellowstone inspired quilt I made last year to try the hand quilting again. I had made the wool quilt, two gift quilts, and this very large one last year. I think by the time I got to this one I was "quilted out" for awhile. I made the  quilts--3 completed plus this one in less than 2-3 months.

  I tried using the three different sized wooden hoops I kept, but none were comfortable for me to hand quilt, and this is a large and thick flannel quilt so I had a hard time getting it tight top and bottom in the hoops. I did figure out simple line stitches as it was hard for me to manage curves for animals on this thick quilt. My hands are not as good as they once were either. So, I made room for my vintage Sears quilt frame-set it up and it's ready to stitch now. That took me a bit to remember how the frame went together and which was the right direction to work at as well.  I ended up re pinning the quilt on three times to get it right-I am getting too slow these days.

  After my Yellowstone trip back in 2017 I collected these fabrics over several years. they are quilt quality flannels or brushed cottons and I love the flannel wide backing that is all one piece and I put in a wool batting. This quilt will be warm and cozy.



and I took this photo from behind the loom--so this room is quite full now-my vintage oak desk with computer and printer are to the left of these photos and to the right are vintage cabinets, dressers, book shelving.  This room is off the kitchen and I think originally the previous owner said this was a porch of some sort that they converted to a room with a large closet-which is to the left by my desk-this room has no venting for heat or a/c but it is always comfortable to work in. It also has a door to the outside of the house-which I thought would be perfect to store firewood, when we get the woodstove working 


  I also ordered the oblique calligraphy pen, two nibs and india ink to teach myself calligraphy-wanting to be able to address pretty envelopes in the least.  The pen and nibs arrived Saturday but still waiting on the ink.  So as you can see I am set up for a few months ahead with fun craft projects.

  Saturday, we finally had no wind so I could start the long process of burning leaves. There are soooo many here for such a small lot. In the woods I only raked away from the house and never burned them.  Here, I need to burn them or figure out a way to compost them-but then we have allot of black walnut trees and those are not good for the soil-so I need to research that out if after burning or composting if safe for the garden or not. Do any of you gardeners know? Black walnuts have something in them to prevent seeds and plants from growing around them, but not sure about the leaves


A friend gave me these, and I thought they were the strangest thing-but they work sooo well scooping up lots of leaves to put in above burn pit


My water bottle

  

    Friday, My  husband finally got brand new tires-his were bald, two needed to be aired up frequently, and when he had gotten a flat-I said that 's it please order tires-so he has safe tires now. 😀 My car is really old and has some issues and living so rural,  we need one very reliable vehicle.  

   I made tamales one day last week. We really like them but they are time consuming to make. I made around 30 and then froze the rest to make later.


I also made a batch of Chex mix with all gluten free cereals, crackers and pretzles, and I use less salt-I don't add in the salt that is in the recipe except for the Worchester sauce.


Pre sunrise photos over the lake this weekend



Sunday morning early, I did a big food shopping trip and saw these amaryllis bulbs and brought one home with me. I love them and haven't had one in awhile This came in a pottery pot too. They either had red ones or Minerva I chose the later as it looked like a more interesting bloom color.

    My herbal tea cup is in front. I have been adding a Bigelow green tea and lemon tea bag along with the two herbal teas which makes a delicious tea.


Happy T everyone.

  and Update Happy Thanksgiving to all those in the USA



43 comments:

  1. The quilt looks so beautiful! I wish I had the talent to make one...the lake views are awesome, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Angie-I make simple country style quilts no small pieces, triangles like many quilters use. these are all just large squares sewn together-easy I really wanted the prints to show up well

      Delete
  2. I usually know exactly what I want to say after I read one of your blog posts, but this time I can only shake my head and wonder where to heck you get all the energy to do so much. You definitely are set up for a few months with fun craft projects. I love your Yellowstone quilt and can imagine how wonderful it will be to crawl under its cozy warmth this winter. And, of course, you must have tamales on a cold winter’s day.

    I am no longer calling the six weeks after Christmas a time of hibernation, but a Sabbatical. I am taking notes from you, so I must start lining up some fun things I want to do. I gave some cloth and parchment paper a wash in walnut dye today so that’s a start.

    I loved this post, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have nearly the amount of energy I had even 5 years ago-I can feel the aging creeping in for sure this year. Oh I am anxious to see your dyed cloth and parchment paper-Fun! I have to say I do miss the natural dyeing and eco printing I used to do-that was always full of surprises-but there I had a 10 burner stove and a commercial size sink-when we first moved here-a very tiny sink and a very tiny electric stove-toys haha getting used to it though.
      yes tamales are so good handmade

      Delete
  3. Not sure where to begin, because you have covered so much this week, Kathy. Your quilt is going to be beautiful when you finish it. My grandmother hand quilted everything, too. I so admire that you are able to do that. I have NO pinch grip, so couldn't hold a needle even if I wanted to.

    Sally has some of those hand things to gather leaves. They look strange, but sure do the trick. I'm glad you showed them on the cinder blocks so others could see their size.

    One year several friends and I made 100+ tamales in my kitchen in MO. We each had a single task to perform in assembly line fashion. I didn't care what I had to do as long as I didn't have to tie the tamales at both ends. At least I had friends who knew what they were doing and we spent an entire day making them.

    I've never had an amaryllis, so I look forward to seeing yours bloom. Nice you drank your herbal tea while admiring your new amaryllis, too. Thanks for sharing your quilt, your tamales, your leaf burning, and your amaryllis and tea with us for T this week, dear Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I am thinking it would be fun to make these tamales with a group of friends or family since they take allot of time. I have always made them just myself. Larrys hand are also really bad so he couldn't do that well either.
      the amaryllis's are really fun to watch grow-and then you can store them afterwards and plant in the ground in the summer but then dig back up before a frost. Happy T

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is fabulous Kathy, and you always get so much done each week. I think your weeks must be longer than mine, well done on all you do! Have a great week, take care, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had tamales for the very first time last night from Mexican Restaurant take out. Hmmmm, interesting! Your quilt looks beautiful, and I know from my recent big one how good it will feel to finish. Good luck, be good to your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! The chex mix looks good. What a handy thing to pick up some leaves to use in your burn pit. I love tamales! How handy it will be to get some out of the freezer when you want them. Happy Thanksgiving and T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, yes these leaf scoopers are really amazing how well they work-I had never seen them before.
      Yes it is nice to have a bunch of tamales frozen in the freezer for future meals.
      We love chex mix too

      Delete
  7. That quilt looks so comforting and I love the chosen warm looking fabrics too. You never rest do you? I have never had tamales but would love to try a homemade one (that someone else would make since I know nada about them;)
    I've no seen these leaf scoopers- but as long as they work well, why not? Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I had never seen these leaf scoopers before either. when the new friend gave them to me I tried not to laugh-but I was amazed how well they work.

      Delete
  8. You certainly do have a lot going on. Between that quilt rack and loom your room is full. But as you said, plenty to keep you busy. Looking forward to seeing your calligraphy when you get started.
    I don't have walnut trees but I did start composting this year. I wouldn't see why you couldn't compost the leaves. It's the seeds that cause problems.
    I have never had tamalies but they sounds delicious. And that chex mix...Yumm! I could eat that all in one sitting.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roots on walnut trees add something to the soil so you can not plant most things for a very wide area around the tree-it kills them so they can't sprout. I have read different takes on the leaves-some say do not compost some say ok so its a puzzlement haha
      we love chex mix too-I divide up the batch into those little snack bags so we don't over eat haha your family may enjoy making the tamales together.

      Delete
  9. That quilt frame looks like it will do the trick and let you hand quilt your pretty piece. It must be awkward to work with such a big piece, and I can understand why hand holding it would be difficult. I needed some of those hand leaf claws yesterday. I bet they help. And your tamales looks yummy. I have never made them, but I bet they are fun to do. I hope you have a wonderful week, T and Thanksgiving Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, I am hoping this works out better too for hand quilting-if not I will have to change over to tying it which I didn't want to do.
      these leaf claws work so well I never would have thought of it.
      Yes the tamales are fun to make Happy T and Thanksgiving hugs

      Delete
  10. Wow, a "cool", cozy quilt! How come this is "unknown" over here?!
    No idea what people do here with leaves! Sounds a bit scary burning them.
    Thanky you for sharing your lake and Snoopy is always right, happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, it's almost midnight here and I am working on the quilt-to get the "feel" of the stitching again. I am thinking there must be quilters there in Germany-
      the leaf burning has to be done when there is no wind and should be done in fire pit-but so many here rake their leaves into the gravel road here and burn there which I don't think is a good idea.
      I agree Snoopy is pretty smart-hugs

      Delete
  11. Your guilt is beautiful, you've made snack yourself, amazing sure tasty. Great capture of the pre sunrise view. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you have been busy!!! The quilt looks great and warm. I totally love tamales - I grew up on them in New Mexico. Definitely a labor of love like egg rolls ad chex mix. Three of my favorite things. Great pictures and great post, Kathy. Happy T-day and happy Thanksgiving. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thanks so much. we really love tamales too, and egg rolls-we used to make those too my husband has a family recipe for the skins that dates wayyyy back. hugs

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful quilt! You are right, it is huge. I remember when you made it. Each of those pieces is beautiful.
    We burn stuff too, but there is a rule on which days you can burn. And then only out in the field, not at home. We have people from the council sweeping the street daily. I don't know where they take the leaves though. The street sweepers work with a sort of blower, they blow the leaves in one corner or curb and a co-worker comes and shovels it in a large bag. These street cleaners are often women. There is a program that helps unemployed people, (there is a long list) and the council gives them paid work to do in the community, like paint markings on the road or repair the cemetery wall, and cleaning jobs indoors. They do this for three months and then get an allowance for the following three months. It's an excellent idea I think. The ladies usually have lots of fun as they all know each other. You can imagine there is a long list of people wanting to do this. In other months they can usually get by with harvesting and other agricultural work. (strawberries is a popular one when in season).
    I digress.
    Happy T-Day,
    Have a great week,
    Hugs
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This flannel quilt is a bit heavy for this frame too so am having a hard time keeping it taught-this is quilt is a bit bigger than I normally make too.
      when we first moved to this state of Missouri they had the same program-to receive public aid money they were to do jobs like you are describing-I think it is a very good thing too.
      Rules for burning here in Missouri are determined by the area you live in. I had called when we first moved here to make sure we could burn. Many cities do not allow it Happy T Lisca Hugs

      Delete
  14. The quilt looks beautiful and sounds so cozy for the cold weather on the way. We used to burn leaves when I was a kid. I loved the smell, but in the late 1970s or early 1980s burning leaves was banned across the state. mmm, Chex Mix. My MIL used to make two kinds at Christmas time. The traditional savory one, and a honey sweet one. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most larger cities ban burning leaves now, but rural still can. I was thinking of looking for a sweet chex mix recipe-lots of recipe ideas out there now.
      Happy T

      Delete
  15. Beautiful quilt, and a lot of work hand stitching. Bravo! The leaf scooper claws are neat, and funny looking. Homemade tamales is a worthy skill to have.Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when our friend gave these to me last year-he say try them out-Homemade tamales are so good

      Delete
  16. My husband is a tamale fan, and they're quite popular around here. Yours look good! Chex mix used to an annual holiday treat. Mother made it every year after the recipe first came out. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, my husband loves them too. chex mix is something I never had growing up-but I bought enough cereals for a few batches-smiles Happy T

      Delete
  17. Hello my friend! You are always busy! I love seeing what you're up to. I have read so many different things about black walnuts and how they affect other plants. I have to say-we have no problem growing grass around them-even with all those nuts on the ground. I have read tomato plants don't like the chemical-is it 'juglans'? Or something like that...Anyway, I don't think you'd have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I have read different things about the black walnuts too-and do have grass growing under ours as well. but their roots I have read keeps young seeds from growing-tomatoes one of them. and I read not to use them in the compost-so thinking better to be cautious--most of these leaves now are oaks

      Delete
  18. Your quilts look amazing and the loom is all ready today. I haven't made tamales in quite some time. Yours look great. You are busy as ever. We need new tires too. Oh those leaf tool are awesome and your photos beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Kathy, you have been busy! The quilt is beautiful, and I can totally see the inspiration you got by visiting Yellowstone (isn't that a fascinating place?). I have no idea how to quilt, I am awful at sewing. I don't know about the leaves of black walnuts whether you can spread them in the garden or not. Usually I spread the leaves of some of my trees as mulch in the garden, but some - especially the larger ones - go into the compost bin because they need too long to break down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to use the fall leaves for mulch too-but I am leary of the black walnut ones. Yes I loved Yellowstone very much, and one of my favorite authors Peggy Henderson writes time travel romance novels set in Yellowstone and the Tetons-I love her books.I got to meet her there in the park-she lives outside of the park in Montana now on her little homestead

      Delete
  20. I love the fabrics in the quilt. I've never had tamales but they look interesting. Love the views over the lake. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Chex looks amazing, never come across that ...yet! I love Peanuts soaked in Worchester sauce! Yum! Not sure about the tea though! Love the quilt, you've been very busy!
    Stay Safe! Happy very late T for Tuesday! ((Lyn))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi this chex mix has been around awhile-made with chex cereals, nuts, pretzles, crackers-you can substitute what you want in it--they have come up with allot more recipe ideas too.

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit