Sunday, November 7, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday & Black Walnut Salve Made & Weaving Update

 T Stands for Tuesday is upon us, so we gather with friends over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's-to join us just post a drink related photo in your T post.

  Over the weekend we began to warm up a bit in the afternoon, the fall colors are really pretty in my area too. I need to grab my camera and take a few photos while taking a walk which I haven't done in awhile.

  Late Saturday I did make the black walnut salve, and I ended up making one and half of the recipe I shared a few posts back. I only had about a tablespoon left of the infused oil, so that worked out really nice. I still have a big bag of little jars and lids that I used to use for the butters and hand creams I would make, that felt so good on the skin, especially now as we get into dry skin weather. I need to make some of that next.  I got three little jars from the recipe-will be sharing one with a friend.

  This is the jar of the black walnut hulls infusing in olive oil and coconut oil for a week.


  She mentioned you could make the recipe right away or wait 6-7 days. The extra days helps to get more benefit from the black walnut hulls.

   Today I followed the recipe and heated up the strained oil with the beeswax pastilles til melted in the oil  and again just heat the water no bubbles or it will be too hot.

    Strained oil on the right these two canning jars will now be designated for craft only useage






Once the beeswax is all melted-take off the heat, and following recipe add in the clove essential oil and lavender essential oil. I also added a few drops of Vit E as well


Since I used mostly olive oil the slave is more green in color I used an extra virgin organic robust olive oil, along with coconut oil.



and since I will be sharing one, I stamped up an information card, and also labeled all three jars. very pleased with the results and these are fun to make


  Friday late I finished up with dressing the loom. It is all ready for weaving now. If I hadn't been so tired I would have started to weave as I am anxious to see the pattern.

   Starting to tie warp on to the front


Finished


One last thing needed to be done-change up these according to the pattern My loom has 4 shafts and each pedal is set up so I can change according to the pattern


Below is the pattern to the far right-where those little circles are-you can see how I have matched those up to above photo (the numbers to the left of this is the pattern for threading all those threads)  Below that box with the circles is the pattern for the pedals while weaving


  Sunday I did grab the camera and took a short walk around where I live-it warmed up to the low 70's f-that was awesome-same for Monday I only walked around half the circle as there is a very very steep hill to go down or up-with my knees decided not to do that.

    I also got one of my dye pans out and filled it up with walnut hulls, some whole nuts with the hulls dried on-and will let it soak 24 hours. Tomorrow I will set up one of the weber grills to simmer this down into ink. Need to take advantage of these few warm days. Still no hard freeze  here as of yet.







This last photo is our home Our little area of the lake is very pretty this time of year-and quiet-not many boats, as most have already winterized their boats by now.
   and Larry heard loons on the lake over the weekend-I was so excited to see them last winter.
  Those bare trees below are the black walnut trees-we have several small ones. The nut trees always lose their leaves first, and I think most of the nuts are down now




For my drink share I grabbed a pretty little handmade pottery cup, made by one our favorite potterers back before retirement



Happy T and New Week  

     and a quick little update-gorgeous day today (Monday) so I set up the large Weber to boil down the black walnuts that were soaking overnite. Around 3 in the afternoon, I took the pot off the Weber-since it's heavy, put the lid on and will let it sit overnite-needs to cool down. Tomorrow I can begin straining and see how it looks.

    I re read some more posts about making this ink-and so many similar but different methods. I will see what it looks like after strained to see if I should boil down anymore. In the mail today I did get the hide glue that is suppose to help thicken the ink it's what was done early on. I also read last night that a few drops of wintergreen essential oil will prevent molding or to add a clove to each bottle. I do have whole cloves, and I just ordered the wintergreen eo

   Or some say to refrigerate. Or some say vinegar and salt which I don't want to do, and some say they never had an issue with molding. 😀

Stay tuned for an update on the ink project.

45 comments:

  1. Ah, Fall on the lake. Best ever, especially after boating crowds have left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imteresting how it turned beautiful olive green in jars. Love your surroundings, serene and tranquility. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is really pretty here-although in the summer time the lake is total craziness. the pretty green is from the olive oil

      Delete
  3. You have been very busy and creative, Kathy, I think your day must have more hours than mine! The photos are wonderful, and your salve looks very professional, enjoy using it! And I love the beautiful coffee cup. Have a great week, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, thank you so much it is very pretty here right now

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading about the salve. You use many of the same ingredients I use for soap making, except of course, I add lye to make soap. I've never made it with black walnuts, but would love to get some in the future.

    It's nice to see you are ready to weave, now. The pattern looks complicated to me, but I suspect you will get with the flow after you have done a few rows.

    Lovely photos from your area and your home. Autumn has truly arrived there.

    That's a charming mug you have shown today. I know how much you love those handmade mugs. I really like the design on this one, dear. Thanks for sharing your salve, your loom, and your mug of coffee with us for T this week, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, that would make into great homemade soap too, I don't work with lye I am an accident waiting to happen sometimes haha
      I am anxious to begin weaving but with nice weather returning I will be outdoors today making the ink, and working on the rock project too-there is a stump that needs dug out. Happy T

      Delete
  5. Your road looks like a lovely walking path. Speaking of dye pans, buying pizza last week, a large shallow plastic pan was used to store dough balls. Fantastic size for marbling and as a tray for crafts projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome I love to recycle like that too-great find
      It is really pretty here I live on a circle with a huge hill in the middle-right now there is a small farm up there-but word is out they are selling-which could mean chopped up for lots of homes hoping not

      Delete
  6. This is really interesting to read and how thrifty you are! I do like to see how you have made use of the black walnuts and all those salves. Nice pots too :-) (& yes very different from the ones we get here). Gosh! I do see now why you like the Autumn so much... such lovely surroundings and to see every day a wonderful display of colours. No noisy boats now either:-) It must be really peaceful. Enjoy. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed getting back to make a salve first black walnut salve for me though.
      It is really beautiful here right now-most of the leaves have not fallen yet-no freeze here yet and the lake is so peaceful-we just have to deal with the busy summer months here.

      Delete
  7. I miss making herbal remedies and salve. I am going to look for black walnuts so I can make some of these salves. I loved seeing what you made! Looks like a great thing to have on hand. Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome I haven't made any in awhile and I always loved them too nd they are fun to make. the link to the recipe is a site I love-I have a couple of her books and I follow her site

      Delete
  8. Your salve looks and I bet smells so good- I would love to try it! Such beautiful scenes of autumn at the lake. I admire your weaving skills as well. I'm sure it's even harder than it already looks. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salve has a hint of lavender. It is really pretty here now-full fall colors right now.

      Delete
  9. Your black walnut salve has a beautiful green color. It was a really interesting project to me as I don't know anyone who has made salve before.And I like those photos showing your trees and views. It does look pretty, and I bet you are liking the quieter lake traffic. HAve a wonderful T day Kathy and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, yes we are enjoying the peace and quiet on the lake now-and the fall leaves are in the peek right now too-Happy T

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful colors in your area, it is so pretty where you live. The weaving sounds and looks complicated to me, I'm not sure I understood your pattern. But I am sure that it will be beautiful. I probably would be completely lost. It's interesting to follow your black walnut "adventure" - I have never made salve or any kind of herbal remedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it is really beautiful here this week-warmer too for several days. I have made a few herbal salves in the past from wild herbs-it's a fun project

      Delete
  11. Oh, yes, dry-skin-weather - your creams look great!
    And your weaving as complicated as ever, LOL. I really could never do this!
    A rather sad sight with the naked trees. I can get as old as a stone, I will always be sad in this season...
    But... have a great T-day, right, and enjoy your lake. That would give me a smile any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, don't be sad I always enjoy the beauty of fall. The lake is beautiful right now hugs

      Delete
  12. I am so impressed with your salve! Wow! Looks so cool.

    I am always impressed with your weaving and love when you share pictures.

    Lovely pictures of your walk. It is very pretty where you live.

    Happy T-day, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you it is really pretty at the lake right now-and quiet which we love

      Delete
  13. I have some walnut ink that I made and also some avocado ink, I used clove oil in both to stop mould growing and it works well. I might try the salve recipe but I only have dried walnut no fresh ones around here. Love the pottery mug, very nice design, Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the avocado ink sounds fun to make too-do you use the skins on those too? I love this little mug too

      Delete
  14. The salve looks so very pretty in the jars. As to mold on the ink, Platt Rogers Spencer, the father of Spencerian penmanship stated in his book on penmanship: mold is beneficial to the ink. Just skim it off. This from an article by calligrapher Angela Welch. She mentions adding clove oil, but she doesn't add anything to her ink. Good luck with the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ after I had written this post I browsed around online for more articles about the ink. I ran into someone that said the same-that the mold doesn't hurt anything but actually is good for the ink. so thank you for sharing that. I have whole cloves and clove oil so I will decided which to use.
      I did buy the hide glue which the book I shared uses as a binder, but I think I will just do one jar with that and see how it is.

      Delete
  15. I've never made my own salves or ointments, but yours looks like what I might expect to find in a shop. Quite professional. Your scenic views are gorgeous. I know you're loving this spot. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much I appreciate that years ago when we first retired I tried selling some on etsy but there are so many sellers there I was lost. so now I just make for me and gift some.
      the lake is lovely and quiet right now

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed this post so very much. Thank you and have the best day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm intersted to hear how your walnut ink turns out. Your salve looks so pretty. And your lake area is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did enjoy your photographs of the lake area ... lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely lake photos. It reminds me so much of my folks's place when they were alive on Beaver Lake. They lived on little bay, where not much traffic, but could see from their place a bigger part of the lake where there was trafic.
    That is nice of you to give some of your salve away. I hope they realize all the work that went into making it. I would never figure out the loom; it sounds and looks very complicated. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your parents home sounds like the perfect spot. I wanted a really good view if I was going to move out of the woods which I really loved very much-but the boat traffic, and the not so polite boaters is a stress issue during the summer peak days.
      Yes my friend will know and will appreciate it I am sure-she is a rancher farm girl. If I had to learn how to weave at my age now I don't think I would grasp it all-I rely on memories of when I learned in the 70's it's a process but not really complicated-I could never understand knitting at all, weaving I could haha

      Delete
  20. Kathy that salve looks great. I had never heard of using black walnuts for a salve. We have so many black walnut trees on our property. My mom and brother and I would gather them for winter and store in our cellar. In Dec. we would crack them on the cement floor with a rock and dig their meat out and mom would use them in fudge and cake. She loved a black walnut cake with seafoam icing...the rest of the family not so much :)!! Loved seeing where you live. What a beautiful view of the lake. Have a Happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, we did the same growing up, we had very huge tree right on a property line and most of the nuts fell over the garage and into the driveway-perfect for collecting-we loved the nuts too-good in banana bread too The lake is really beautiful right now

      Delete
  21. The salve looks like something my Dad used to use in Winter. You are so lucky to have those Walnut trees. Your walk looks beautiful, I am always fascinated by the way trees lose their leaves at different times (and of course which trees get their leaves first)
    I'll look forward to seeing the weaving as it grows.
    Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit