Saturday, November 27, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays-Thanksgiving Leftovers

   Good Afternoon, I was heating up tamales and turkey soup for our main meal today, when I remembered just then I hadn't done my Cast Iron Saturdays post yet. For those of you that enjoy these posts-sorry for my tardiness.

   I almost didn't write one since I am so late in posting, but decided to check out ideas for Thanksgiving leftovers.

   My oven seems to hold the temperature well for one cookie sheet. My turkey came out pretty good but it ended up being overbaked a bit, this oven is not working the best but I am managing to work around it as the part is too expensive for this old stove, and I want to replace this electric with a gas stove-oven eventually.

    I always make a stock from whole chickens and turkeys for soups-so Thursday after we ate-all the bones, skins, juices from roasting all went into a large pot with cold water  I also added in the wings, and some of the white meat that was a bit dry. I let this large pot slow simmer for a couple hours.  Strained that off, let sit overnite in the frig, and discarded the fat that rose to the top of the pan.  I turned this big pot of stock into a very thick soup the next day, using up the rest of the fresh green beans I had bought for our dinner, more mixed frozen veggies, stirred in Bob's Red Mill's instant mashed potatoes to give it some body and all the turkey that was left over from dinner. I wanted a rich stock and later a very thick soup-turned out really good.  and I have two containers in the freezer for later after we ate the soup again today.

  Soup stock can be cooked down in a large Dutch oven, but I grabbed a large enamel stock pan-lighter in weight for me to handle now.

  The gluten free rolls that I had made were really delicious. They stayed fresh for one more day-after that gluten free breads go stale fast. I crumbled up the rolls and dried them in a very low oven. Perfect for our turkey soup-these soaked up the stock and tasted like little dumplings, and I had no wasted rolls.

  

Online I found this Leftover Turkey bake  Perfect for those of you that have left over dressing (stuffing), gravy and turkey plus sour cream



Leftover Turkey Pot Pie in Cast Iron



Thanksgiving Left Over Skillet   this one uses shredded turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and adds cheese



Thanksgiving Skillet Pizza  this sounds really good



Thanksgiving Left Over Sandwich--thought this recipe looked good if you eat sandwiches-just grill it in your cast iron grill pan or skillet



Pumpkin/Squash Pancakes   this is a good looking recipe if you had served roasted plain pumpkin or squash for Thanksgiving-turn the left overs into pancakes The recipe shares sweet or savory



Hoping this gives you some ideas if you ended up allot of leftovers.

  Happy weekend

15 comments:

  1. Good ideas! I love cranberry sauce on a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds good we don't eat much bread anymore, but I do make a sandwich with large leaf lettuce sometimes

      Delete
  2. My sister-in-law sent us home one meals amount of turkey. That is one problem when you don't cook the turkey yourself. These looks so good and I wish I had some more left overs. Hope it was a wonderful Thanksgiving Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when ever in the past we were invited over for thanksgiving day I always made us a turkey and few sides that same weekend-Larry always enjoyed the left overs and when you visit-no left overs haha
      probably too quiet just the two of us but that's ok hugs

      Delete
  3. Leftover turkey never looked so good...maybe even better than before. But, I like best your thick, savory soup. I took notes on that. I think I have finally recovered from it all, after having taken a long nap this afternoon. I hope all is well there on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my back got to me too being on my feet for a few days. we loved this soup turned out really good

      Delete
  4. They all look so good! That leftover pie looks absolutely irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos of foods makes me hungry :) Looks very tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I love dry meat!!! Send it over :-)
    One day I´ll find a turkey to eat! Does it taste different? I just can´t imagine.
    And stuffing! Unknown here, too, sadly... boy are we boring over here! Hmmm, cheese, yum!
    Ingo made stuffed paprika/capsicum yesterday, loads of cheese, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. similiar to chicken I don't do stuffing-there is all sorts of ways to make it too. Ingo's food sounds good

      Delete
  7. And now it is MONDAY! I don't do turkey and neither did any of the places I visited. I'm amazed at how so many peoople associate it and use it when all of my friends served other things, like ham and duck. The pancakes sure sound good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, growing up at home we always had turkey for Thanksgiving, so I just carried on with that tradition. when we have been invited for Thanksgiving it was always turkey too. Christmas time though was beef and ham. we do love duck-although it can be quite greasy if not prepared properly.
      I am so glad you were able to be with friends for the holiday. I thought those pancakes looked really good too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit