Thursday, April 15, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays-Dutch Ovens

 Welcome to my Cast Iron Saturdays which I will post on Fridays.

     I haven't set this up as a link up, but anyone is welcome to share a recipe that you like to use with cast iron or other cast iron information in comments.

   I thought I would explore Dutch Ovens this week. Those of you that have followed me for awhile, may remember me sharing photos of my lemon meringue pies baked in the Dutch Oven.  Those were the best pies ever.  I am hoping to get set up here at the lake soon-(we have been waiting for the sewer people to come back and finish) I may just place some bricks around the fire pit so I can bake again.

   I want to share a story with you. Years ago, probably soon after we retired to Missouri and when Yahoo had allot of groups-I joined one for cast iron cooking and baking. I was so proud of myself that I had figured out if I put a trivet in the bottom of my Dutch Oven and then put a pottery pie plate on top of that-I would get a nicer bake and less chance of burning the bottom of the pie (or bread) this way. So I shared this on the site-so happy with my success. Well, I got ripped apart by the administrator-this was not authentic, this is not how this was done and on and on. I wrote him back saying at least I baked up something with real foods and did not use all those canned items, cake mixes, soda pop etc. that would not have been used in the day, and left the group haha That still pops up in my head once in awhile.

   First of all what is a Dutch Oven??   These come in many different sizes, they will have 3 legs and the lid will have a lip around the edge to keep the coals on top.


Photo below shows how the lid looks with the coals-however-you do not want to bake with fire-but rather coals only



  Several years ago I found James Townsend and Sons, a historian and reenactor of the 18th century. His videos are amazing tools to learn from. This video I just found again explains using the trivet and pottery pan when baking in the Dutch Oven. The book he mentions in the beginning I had purchased and enjoyed the read.   He also demonstrates how to use wood coals instead of charcoal briquettes-which I like the idea of as well. I also on one of my last bakes forgot that one should get your cast iron "oven" preheated first. I had tried using an oven thermometer on one of my bakes, but as he indicates the temperature drops sooo much when opening the lid. I like his idea of having one of those instant reads with a probe.  So how did our pioneers know when their "ovens" were ready to bake in?? I should look that up.

  A few years ago I bought a book on hearth cooking, the author did reenactments of hearth cooking and baking. I learned so much about using cast iron from her, and she indicated the trivets and pottery pans as well for baking. If any one is interested let me know in comments and I will search my bookshelf for the title and author.

   When baking with the charcoal there are quite a few charts around on how many briquettes to use top and bottom depending on the size of your Dutch Oven. Also temperature outdoors and wind is also a factor. Here is a link to more detailed charts-depending on what you are cooking. Also many videos make a big deal about turning the pot one direction and the top a different direction-I don't do all that very often-I try to keep my coals even and not "mess" with things. haha

  Another must have tool is a pot lifter. I had welding gloves that we had near the woodstoves and thought I could pick up the lid with those-ahh nope way too hot. I don't remember what brand I had purchased but this Lodge one looks like mine-these are excellent and very secure to use.

   If you have cast iron pots with no legs than you can raise them up on a grate-there are some neat ones available now. and for the top I have fashioned thick foil or aluminum pie pans that I cut a slit in the middle to fit over the handle-which will work pretty well for stews, soups etc-it will not be as even a bake on top though for breads etc. 

  For recipes-again this method is just another way to have an oven-so what ever you want to cook-bake-etc will work. Also great ideas on camping sites and the boy scouts etc. I found this beginner one for Dutch Ovens on Pinterest

  If you can eat breads-they are sooo much fun to bake here is a simple no knead bread      photo from site




  If you like to bake pies-just bake it in your pre heated Dutch Oven with wood coals or charcoal briquettes I have baked things like brownies, a chocolate chip cookie recipe spread on the bottom, I have also baked upset down cakes with success.

   I did find a cake recipe made from scratch ingredients that looks really good-and took me to a blog site I used to follow, they stopped posting a few years ago but this is a nice site for recipe ideas I am happy I found it again

    Johnny Appleseed Cake from Everyday Dutch Oven blog



  You can bake up anything you wish outdoors in your cast iron and really Wow your guests opening up the lid to reveal breads, pies and more.

  What have you baked-cooked outdoors in your Dutch Ovens??


    





19 comments:

  1. The food looks good. My great auntie Fanny often used a Dutch Oven, and everything tasted fine. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma used allot of cast iron pots too I have one of her skillets. enjoy your weekend-feel better hugs

      Delete
  2. I so understand. Me, also, can get mad about unfair and stupid things from the past!
    Never heard of a Dutch Oven before!
    Sadly with only a small balcony this technique is nothing for us. We use coals, though, with our small BBQ-grill. Nothing better than wood or coals!
    Hmmm. Maybe... haha, Corinna!
    When shops open and temps rise (still frickin' cold here) I´ll go have a look. If a BBQ works such an oven might, too?
    Have a happy Friday morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you a email, but many apartment dwellers here, or people in cities that don't want to set up in their back yards-will buy or make a metal table. the nice thing about these you can get them the height that is comfortable to stand as well instead of working on the ground. if you could get metal-or flat stones or bricks to work on with a bit of a wind break as well-is possible Happy friday and weekend

      Delete
  3. Fabulous post! I loved reading about Dutch ovens and seeing the delicious bread and pies. Of course your lemon meringue pie is legendary from your posts, now I'm hungry ...lol 😉. I hope you've had a lovely week, wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you enjoyed reading about the Dutch Ovens-that lemon meringue pie photo had me wanting to make one haha. Happy friday and weekend-hugs

      Delete
  4. I've never had or cooked in a Dutch oven. I know lots of people use them for baking bread but that's the limit of my knowledge which basically amounts to nothing. HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I grew up with a farm girl Mwho cooked and baked on a wood cook stove so I think I inherited the desire from her and her Mom

      Delete
  5. I've never done outdoor baking in cast iron. I can't believe that administrator was so hard core they had to tell you how you were wrong. I like Dutch ovens and use them on top of my stove and in the oven too. That is the beauty, you can start one place and finish in another. And did you know those legged Dutch ovens are called spiders? I bet you did. Happy weekend Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that thank you-I thought spiders were the tall trivets with the 3 legs but looking it up out of curiosity now you are right-Happy weekend hugs

      Delete
  6. Such a nice post. The photos are great too. The only cooking we've done outside was on a big cast iron frying pan. Wish I still had that pan. It was so heavy we had to donate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you enjoyed this post. cast iron is heavy, my dutch ovens are getting a bit heavy for me now but I can't give them up just yet-Happy weekend

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the interesting post. I know zipola about cooking over a fire in any kind of pot. A Dutch oven is now on my dream to have list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, if you have garage sales around you sometimes cast iron can be found. I actually bought two and found excellent prices for Lodge on ebay free shipping which was huge as these are quite heavy

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a Dutch Oven before. This would be a very useful tool for anyone cooking outdoors as well as indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are a fun tool for outdoor cooking indoor cooking dutch ovens with no legs would be better

      Delete
  9. vintage cast iron pieces for me is connecting to our ancestors-love that I am happy you enjoyed the post-and good to see you hugs

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit