Thursday, April 8, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays-A Little History and Recipes

   Hello Everyone,

      Welcome to Cast Iron Saturdays where I will be posting recipes that look yummy enough to share, and even some cast iron history from time to time.

    Almost 40 years ago now when Larry and I got together one of the things we really enjoyed was shopping for what we needed-or thought we needed-at garage sales, resale shops, estate sales.  We never went to many auctions as the prices are usually a bit high and you really need to know the value and what you want to spend before hand so you don't get yourself caught up in the bidding wars.

  We were always on the look out for cast iron cookware pieces. Mostly vintage pieces like Wagner and Griswold. At the time I didn't look at Lodge pieces too much but now knowing their history they are a really good USA company and getting their newsletters they are always innovating their pieces. If I were younger there are some I would pick up. They have some really nice versatile camping cast iron.

  This year marks Lodge's 125th year 1896-2021  I never realized before that Lodge was in business during the years of Wagner and Griswold.

  Lodge has been sharing articles about their 125 years in business Here are a few  At the end of those links is a link to their recipes. and about their tear drop handle here  and about their seasoning the pans

  Information about Griswold  cast iron and about Wagner cast iron


For recipe shares this week, I ran into Keto Cast Iron's Cheeseburger Soup with Bacon

   This actually looks and sounds like "good eats" They used a cast iron dutch oven to make this (Photo from their site)




  From this same site they shared Keto Gluten Free Sticky Sesame Cauliflower  which actually sounds really delicious (photo taken from their site)  They used a large cast iron skillet to make this one



  and for dessert, I visited Southern Cast Iron and found their carrot cake recipe baked in a 9 inch cast iron skillet. You can easily change this to gluten free by using a good gluten free flour blend-I like Bob Red Mill's one to one I think it is called  I would also change up that cup of sugar to a keto sweetener, or splenda, or even coconut sugar.  I would change the powdered sugar in their frosting recipe to a keto powdered sweetener  (photo from their site)


  Wishing you all a great Friday and weekend--If you have a recipe that you like to use cast iron for and would like to share-just post a link in comments

18 comments:

  1. The food looks very tasty. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griswold only triggers that Christmas movies - we don´t have these brands.
    Looks like high quality and you get some muscles using them!
    The soup just went to my list, thank you, hmmmm :-)
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these are American companies-part of our heritage. I thought this soup sounded really good too

      Delete
  3. This is fascinating. I had NO idea cast iron had such a history and there were types that were better than others. I was in awe after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never cooked using cast iron skillets before but I imagine they last. I do remember my Aunty using cast iron for cooking with a very old wood cook stove at the farm. I do remember the huge cast iron casserole dish she would put on the table straight from the oven. It kept the stew so hot and her meals were always really tasteful. Thanks for sharing these recipes they sound very tasty :-) It has been approx 20 days since posting so I do hope my mail to you will arrive any day now! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, thank you so much for sharing this-that was one of my dreams I always wanted to learn how to cook and bake on a wood cook stove. When my Mom in her 80's got alzheimers she would talk about her youth-and I learned than that she grew up with no running water in the house-except for the pump in one of the kitchens, and cooked on a wood stove. always wondered why she never shared that with us. no wonder she was such an excellent cook over a camp fire.
      I have been keeping a look out for your slow mail-most comes with in 3 weeks-some come in 2 weeks. my friend in Germany's letter took over 3 weeks. I will let you know

      Delete
  5. I like cast iron to cook in. And it's fun to read its history too Kathy. Those recipes you've shared have really captured my attention. They look delicious. Have fun cooking. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Erika, the history is very interesting to me too-Happy friday and weekend hugs

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post. I so appreciate all the links with additional information on cast iron cooking. I hope you have a great weekend and get rested up from the long hours at the loom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I am happy you enjoyed the links. thanks I am taking a break from the shawl for a bit, the adding in of yarns for the fringe will be time consuming-but so much prettier

      Delete
  7. I'm enjoying what I will call "delicious looking Saturdays" at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne, I am so happy you are enjoying these cast iron posts. a couple years ago I tried setting up a link up but got no interest-I decided to still post as I really enjoy using cast iron I just don't set up a link up for it.
      thanks for visiting the past posts I appreciate it-just commenting back on this one-so ya know-hugs Happy weekend still raining here and its chilly

      Delete
  8. Oh yum! What a great idea-I will be tuned in for sure! Didn't know that about Lodge-I'm glad to know they are a good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I just recently realized that Lodge survived all the different companies through the years surpassing Griswold and Wagner. I need to search what the vintage Lodge looks like and if it was marked or not

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit