Monday, April 19, 2021

Weaving Without a Floor Loom

   I thought I would do a post on simpler weaving. I think I may have posted something similar a few years ago. A few of my readers have mentioned an interest in weaving, but something simpler than a floor loom.

  Floor looms do take up allot of space. The ideal set up is to have a dedicated weaving room. My floor loom is pretty small. You may remember I had a 45" vintage rug loom that I just never got set up-I think I was intimidated by it, now it would have been too much for me to handle so am glad that I was forced to sell it when we moved here to the lake. and--There was no room for it which also forced me to downsize, and my age with normal aches and pains would have been a challenge working with that size of loom now.

   Weaving is an expensive hobby-or it can be. I hunted around at the time I was buying yarns and tools for sale prices. Webs and a couple others online had allot of bargains/closeout sales that I took advantage of. It is surprising to find some weaving yarns or supplies at resale shops or garage sales on occasion so I always keep a lookout

  I have never worked on one-but all the rage right now is weaving on a rigid heddle loom. They come in different widths and you work at a table-so much simpler and less space to use. I always thought about what I would like to weave and what is the width I would need. My small floor loom is a 30 inch but that is wide enough to make allot of things, even clothing pieces. I think this is an ideal width that doesn't limit you as much. I would personally look into a 30 or 32 inch rigid heddle loom.

 I just ran into this site that I was not familiar with before, and they have allot of information and free weaving patterns Here is their article on Introduction to rigid heddle weaving

From this article I am sharing an Ashford loom (Ashford is one of my favorite weaving companies)


 If you do an online search for rigid heddle looms you will find numerous styles and companies. There are many newer books on the market now about these looms as well. 

Here is a video about the rigid heddle loom

I was searching for videos and wow I found this one that is set up on a stand-I think this would be really comfortable to weave at, and it's by Ashford

  Rigid heddle looms are 2 harness's-which are set up in the reed-where as if you have a floor loom with at least 4 harness's you have many many choices for patterns. With 2 harness's your patterns are in the fibers. Saori weaving is a floor loom but the original only had 2 harness's so it's plain weave but patterns are with fibers and different techniques.

So I would think about what you want to weave and do allot of research on what is available now.

 If you would just like to have a little fun with plain weaves you can make a simple loom from cardboard or cardboard boxes.

Here is a video on how to make cardboard loom

a video on how to make cardboard box loom

  If you have an urge to play a little with weaving you can do that simply with a handmade cardboard loom

  Hope this will give you some ideas if you would like to try weaving.

 

18 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kathy!
    Years ago I made a wood loom thing for my mother, painted with flowers and such. She used it to make, I think for some kind of braided rags' rug, long board with two ends, and nails to wrap the material around. I forget the exact design or what it is called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. something like this https://wyomingbreezes.blogspot.com/2009/02/being-framed.html?spref=pi&m=1

      Delete
    2. Thank you, but that's not it. Better description...one board about 3 feet long x 1" x 4 inches, ends are same size board about 4 inches square. The nails I'm not sure how they are added. There were holes as well. It looks like a one bureau drawer with no front or bottom. I'm not sure how the braiding goes, but it might be that the rags are tied to the yarns, and then lifted up an out for the next group. Does that sound familiar?

      Delete
    3. Thanks-I am not familiar with this one. My Mom braided rugs but she had these metal tubes that you put the fabric through and it would fold the fabric and then you would braid the three pieces. and this was all held in place with some kind of clamp.

      Delete
    4. Late one night or in the grocery line, I'll remember what it is for. I know rags are the material. Thank you for the help

      Delete
    5. It could just be another way to make the braided rug

      Delete
    6. Braiding Board!
      Yes, it is for making braided rugs. I thought it has 2 ends, but photos online show one end.
      Thank you again

      Delete
  2. Looks good but I'll stick to my paper weaving. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and how amazing that you can make your own loom 😀. Thanks for sharing and I hope you had a lovely weekend! Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a small ancient tabletop loom. I got it for Christmas as a kid. It is apart but I believe I have all the pieces. One of these days I should put it together. I have forgotten about it so thanks Kathy for the reminder. Happy new week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a small loom on which I have woven a few simple pieces. This is a great post with lots of helpful links. I am going to go back and watch all of them. Thanks, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is like the one I bought for my granddaughter when she got the waving bug - having seen the ladies I mentioned at the mill we used to visit. Hmm, wonder if she still has it... Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these are awesome little looms. what I am reading on different fb weaving groups is that many people are weaving up fabric to make their own clothes-and they are mostly using little looms like these especially with the width of at least 25 inches

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit