Monday, April 5, 2021

Weaving Update

  Hi everyone,

    I pretty much decided to weave most of today so I could get to the end, and to find out if I was going to have just enough of the blue yarn-or not.  

    So as you can see this is the very end of the blue alpaca



This next photo is the back of the loom-I was hoping to be able to weave at least 8  more inches as this back can come forward a bit so not as much waste yarn-but it is what it is.
   I couldn't figure out the yardage I needed-I am sure there must be a way though-as the pattern I was following was using very fine silk thread instead of what I am using. I wanted the area of green yarn to be a bit off center in the back and I think it will be. I will add in green fringe since I have no more blue and that will tie in the green area of the shawl back. A rough measurement looks like it will be around 75 inches. I wanted it to be large.

   I started early this morning, took allot of stretching breaks, put together our 2 pm meal and finished up weaving around 4 pm. So my shoulders and back are aching a bit right now. 😐   
 
 

    I am going to let this sit on the loom til I am refreshed. I decided I did not like the plain weave I did in the beginning because this is going to be a large shawl and not sewn into a wrap so no need for the cuff area.  Taking that out I should have plenty on that end for long fringe.  After the fringe is on I will give it a wet finish. Soaking in warm warm with a gentle soap, a good rinse, and lay out to dry.  Then off in the mail to my friend.

  Til next time.

11 comments:

  1. I recognize that last of yarn from knitting. Too bad you ran out, but sounds like you had a very productive day. I love how the new cloth is looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked around online and this brand is available but this was purchased several years ago so thinking the color would not match-and I did not find this blue either. the reveal will be when it is off the loom

      Delete
  2. I can almost feel the softness of the Alpaca. And it is so beautiful! You must be feeling happy with this project for it has been a win win in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, yes this is very soft and it has a strand of fine mohair too. I am happy now to finish the ends

      Delete
  3. Sorry you hurt - no wonder after such a marathon, though!
    Never felt Alpaca, reckon it´s warm and soft.
    We have snow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah my body is not used to weaving now, alpaca is very soft and actually warmer than wool. oh my snow-ugh

      Delete
  4. Nice work. Don't forget to show it off before you send it on it's way. :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy wonderful work. My mom a few years ago bought me alpaca socks. They are wonderful and so warm. Hope you get restored- hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alpaca is really warm and cozy I bought alpaca socks that have little rubber llamas on the bottom-perfect for around the house as I don't like wearing shoes indoors

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit