Friday, April 23, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays Cornbread & This and That

   I am a bit later getting this posted today (Friday) Last night I discovered my Voyage Kindle has "died"  This is about 6 years old but was hoping it would last for closer to 10 years. This was quite the money splurge for me at the time. This was the better one of the kindles and did not need wifi to download books which is what I needed since we never had wifi at the woods house. They are no longer making this model. The screen had froze I tried the suggestions over several hours and again this morning-still froze. Then I realized the battery was no longer keeping a charge. So reading about the batteries they do have them to buy, but what I have read these kindles are not really meant to be taken apart and if you do decide to replace-must be super careful. So I am bummed about this. Any of you replace a kindle battery with success, or able to unfreeze the screen?

   Last night before I realized this about my kindle, I was searching for a weaving bench for my loom. My body just can't sit on the old milk can any more. I was in allot of pain after I finished up the shawl. I found one that I like-expensive but not as much so as some. I decided this morning to buy one from a shop on etsy located in California (she was very helpful) and put the kindle on hold for now. I will just read on my desk top computer for now-which is not very comfortable but I have several hard cover books I need to catch up on this summer. 

Now for cast iron-I thought I would share cornbread baked in cast iron-which is sooo good.

Here is a link to all things cast iron cornbread from Lodge  This includes cornbread festivals and the recipes below

photos from the Lodge site-those recipe links came with the photos but they do not work-sorry-They should be listed in the link above or I set up a link under the photos

recipe here


Those cast iron cornbread wedge pans, their fish shaped cast iron pan, or a square or round cast iron skillet are excellent for cornbread

and here is a video of chili in your Dutch oven and cornbead baked in the wedge pan,  I am surprised this cornbread baked the way he did this- My Mom made just about everything from scratch ( I still do too) but she always had those boxes of Jiffy cornbread in the cabinet-I had to smile as that is what he was using in the video


Happy Friday and Weekend everyone

23 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about your kindle but pleased you have been able to order a replacement.

    Thanks for sharing the recipes.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan thanks for stopping by, I ended up buying a weaving bench for my loom instead of a new kindle this month. will wait on the kindle for awhile and make do reading on my computer instead.
      Happy weekend

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your Kindle. I have 2, and they are both still going strong, the oldest one is from 2009. Hope your new seat for the loom will make you more comfortable. Take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie, I took good care of my kindle too, never took it out of the house but it is what it is they gave me a discount for trading this one in

      Delete
  3. Technology is good but it doesn't last very long in the scheme of things. I had to replace my laptop this year after 7. Its probably a pretty long time. Like everything, it just is meant to work awhile and be trashed. Sad really. Hope you figure out your kindle. The cornbread looks delicious. I haven't made any for awhile. Maybe that's a clue it is time. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I talked with the kindle tech at amazon she was pretty helpful, and she was saying the same that they only have so much life span and my 6 years was normal for this voyage. the freezing up will always be an issue she said even if I finally get it unfrozen

      Delete
  4. I have a Kindle that was not working correctly. I called a customer service rep at Amazon and was helped tremendously. If you haven’t tried that, I think they are super friendly and helpful. Glad you ordered a bench for your weaving comfort. We can’t cut corners where our health is concerned especially at this point in our lives. I have the cast iron wedge pan, the only cast iron piece we own! It’s not for me though, my husband uses it for scones. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cornbread is perfect for adding veggies. when electronics go weird, I search online for solutions. If one device has an issue, then it is certain it happens to another one. Old battery, I've replaced in a old CPU. Following instructions slowly, is very important. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought of adding veggies to cornbread but I love the idea.
      I called up the kindle tech and advised it was time to get a new one-the freezing up issue won't fix itself I tried for 3 days but they gave me 20% off to return the old one with free shipping label, and a small gift card off a new purchase

      Delete
  6. Thanks Laurie, I am excited about the new bench she must have sent it fast delivery as I am suppose to get it from california to missouri by tuesday. I am really sad about my kindle but I just bought a paperwhite-hubs said just to order one. and they gave me some money back for trading in the old one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting recipes. That bread needs to be made at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Kathy!!! I eat very limited bread anymore... But i LOVE some cornbread. Never use cast iron but LOVE that Jiffy mix cornbread.. lol Glad you got yourself that bench and a new Kindle.. I just read books the old fashioned way...lol Waiting for all our 'stuff' to arrive with the moving company.. sitting in an apartment going stir crazy.. uuugh..Received your wonderful letter! THANK YOU!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I baked up all of our bread sooo good but I can't eat it anymore and we are both limiting carbs. but cornbread is a treat once in awhile. My Mom always made Jiffy cornbread-I probably can't eat that anymore if it has white flour in it which many recipes have.
      You are so welcome. I am excited about the bench for sure, and I ended up getting the paperwhite with all the discounts for returning my old broken one it the price wasn't so bad--hugs back

      Delete
  9. Bummer about the Kindle! I have the app on my very old Samsung Notebook Two. I only use it for the kindle app now and have closed everything else down on it but I know I will have to be replacing it in the near future. It won't hold a charge for very long and shuts itself down at random and won't reopen for several hours. I can use my smartphone to read with but it's not as comfortable.
    The cornbreads all look great. I remember my Grandmother makeing the corn sticks all of the time and I loved them. My sister got her pan and I got her skillet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol I was bummed over my voyage kindle I really loved it. I have the app on my desktop computer but hard for my body to sit there to read-but I do like that the books are in color on my computer just black and white on the kindle. good memories-I love it when cast iron gets passed down. I have one of my Mom's skillets and also one of her Mom's skillets. with no family will need to decide who to pass my collection on to. Happy weekend

      Delete
  10. Shoot. At least you can get the books back via amazon, right? Mine is still working but I have the same problem with my HUAWEI. Battery lasts but one day even if I do nothing but two What´s-Apps to my T.
    Bench sounds good. Getting old, hey - I woke up with a severe cramp and Ingo had to help me, OH!!! It still hurts a bit, LOL.
    Smoked Gouda! Ahhh, just put my poppy-seeds half bun with Tilsiter-cheese in the microwave - YUM.
    Jalapeno bacon... cheddar.... Good I just had eaten!
    I have never had cornbread. Totally unknown here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they have the books in my amazon account buy I had several books that were gifts from authors to their readers delivered another way so those are lost-sigh
      can't wait for my weaving bench-will be better for my back. I get those severe leg cramps sometimes-ugh
      I think cornbread is an american pioneer food it's really good-goes great with chili or bean soups too

      Delete
  11. I'd love some of that cornbread! Your post makes me so hungry ...lol ... I'm off to raid the kitchen 😉. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have books loaded into my tablet but only read them on trips away and that hasn't been for over a year. I love corn bread, may have to make some soon now! Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do allot of reading, mostly in the evenings especially with nothing of interest to watch on the tv. we love corn bread too

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit