Thursday, April 8, 2021

Woven Shawl Update

 Hi Everyone,

   I was going to wait and update with the total finish-but after working about 16 hours or more over the last two days I decided it needs to sit a day.

    Getting older and doing the different motions with weaving has made me realize, I need to start walking again once the mornings are warmer, and get back to stretch exercises. I hadn't woven in about 5-7 years so I can really feel it. I have trunks of yarns that I have collected since the late '70's so not weaving is Not an option haha.  I have different things I have been wanting to weave and I have most of the yarns already-I need to see what I have for making kitchen towels. Back in the 90's I had discovered Webs and they had a bargain basement area with really good prices especially for the nicer yarns. I need to see if they are still doing that-in case I need something haha-I know I don't have many warp yarns (the yarn that is threaded on the loom). I know the prices have really gone up over the years as well. I had bought this organic cotton from a cotton supplier which I need to search for again I really liked weaving with it.

   Just sitting at the loom or standing in the back untying all those knots was quite the job-especially since I used a fine and textured yarn


Below is the photo of the unwound shawl after the back being untied-and now sitting in the front untying knots (above) and that green area did turn out to be just off center which I was hoping for.


  After I had woven that bottom area first and added the blue, I realized nope I don't like it at all-at that point I should have just un wove it on the loom which would have made it much easier-and I could have saved all that weft yarn in one piece.
   It was a tedious project for sure and took hours-those of you that knit or crochet know the pain of taking out.
   I had also thought that this would have stretched the blue yarn. I wish I would have thought to weave green on the two ends, but when I first showcased it-thinking of doing stripes of the two colors-I just didn't like it at the time.
   So it is what it is and I think will be fine. 


I attempted to do a selfie so you could see the length.  The ends are just overhand knots right now to secure the weave structure.  I will be adding in the green alpaca with the blue mohair to the fringe.  I just need a fresh day to work on that.


This turned out to be around 75 inches long, and is very very soft and comfy
This second photo you can see that it is nice and long so will be fine for someone heavier than me, especially the wide width (27 inches).


  Years ago, I had picked up a rare weaving book on different ways to finish edges, and different ideas for the fringe area-So I am going to try one of those techniques to add in the other yarns. ( Looking for the link-wow I guess this is more available now than when I bought it-and now a much cheaper price too-it is a unique book)

   At the lake we are at what is considered the 5 mile marker on the lake-so we are very far west on the lake.  Yesterday at mile marker 70 to 80-they ended up with a tornado that caused allot of damages to property and docks-my prayers go out to them. We had some strong rains early afternoon, but no lightening and no damaging winds.

   After a week with Larry's hearing aids they are not right-so we are sending them back today-hoping they will do him right and fix the issues.

  Hoping your day is going well-I will be back tomorrow with another cast iron post.


4 comments:

  1. An amazing amount of work! I love the shades of blue and green together next to each other

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just now seeing your post. I am realizing now just how much work goes into weaving on a loom. But, as in any thing created by the human hand, each piece is so unique and beautiful. I am proud for you to have conquered the loom once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out FABULOUS, Kathy. I am so impressed. Don't you just hate rework? I know I do. Still it turned out great in the end, dear. I'm sure the recipient will LOVE it, especially if she is aware how much time and work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit