Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Surprise Out my Window & Catch Up

 Yesterday morning when I was doing some housework, I heard a bird call I wasn't familiar with.  Wow I stopped at the "wall of windows" and couldn't believe what I saw. He saw me but I walked away slowly to another room to grab the camera.

  I was able to snap this photo before he walked further down the tree and flew off


and here is the cropped photo for a better look




This is Missouri's largest woodpecker-the pileated woodpecker. We had many at the woods house which I always loved seeing, but hadn't heard their call before. They are very loud when they peck at the trees.  I was so thrilled to see this visitor here at the lake.

Yesterday was a beautiful warm day with little wind. Late yesterday I was able to finally burn about 5 huge bags of leaves in the burn pit. One bag was too wet, so put that one to the side. Today wow what a difference. the temperatures will be dropping to a hard freeze tonight. The forecast is also 3-5 inches of snow. What??? snow now that the flowers are all blooming on the bushes and trees-this is sad.  The ground is so warm that the snow will melt pretty fast I think but it could bring icey roads tomorrow morning, and kill off many tender blooms and plants for those early gardeners.

My sister in law is at her lake house for a week. She discovered a major problem that is causing leakage and mold in one room-so trying to find dependable workers has been a challenge for her-but today they will start.  So Saturday she wanted out of her house-don't blame her-she drove us to Camdenton (about 45 minutes away) that was having their dogwood festival all weekend. As long as we have lived in the area we have never gone to this yearly event. Larry just can't walk far any more, and we don't get out in crowds much-never did really. This was a fun day set up like a small fair-with lots of booths of sellers and arts and crafts, kettle corn and lots of food trucks, rides for the kids. Also the churches were having garage sales. Friday was the main day for this, but my sister loaded up on really nice heavy glasses for her lake house and other goodies. I found a little bag of craft copper wire and a heavy gold color wire for a dollar.

  I had brought my camera but it was so chilly that day I didn't think to take any photos. My sister in law lives not too far from Chicago and she is used to driving everywhere and loves it. So after this event she drove us past my home and on to the Amish market I have been wanting to find. Wow this is the largest Dutch Country Market I have ever seen since the one near my Grandparents farm in Indiana. As big as a regular supermarket-I will be shopping here in the future for sure. They sell rows of spices and dried items, bulk bags of frozen fruits and so much more. A huge meat department with everything already frozen. I was tired by the time we got here from all the walking at the fair so will go back and take my time checking all that they have.

  My stomach issues are better finally, but still need to be careful what I am eating. The Amish stores usually have a deli where they sell sandwiches made with their own baked breads. This store offered a lettuce wrap-so good. I needed food by the time we got there around 4 in the afternoon.

  I am still drying dandelions, violet leaves and flowers, and a few lilacs. These will later get infused in oils and made into soaps or balms


  I did finish the fringe on the woven shawl a few days ago. I did find something concerning though-when I was taking out the 4 inch area of a finer weave it had weakened a few of the warp threads-I didn't notice that til I was almost finished knotting the fringe. Haven't decided if there is a remedy for this at this point. will think on that this week.

  Happy New week everyone.



9 comments:

  1. Wow, how special woodpeckers! Quite a different look than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow photo! They are fun to see. Not so much if they chose a nearby tree as they can make a huge hole.
    It is wonderful you have a good market to shop at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was so excited to this woodpecker. this Amish market will be an adventure to explore-hoping they will get in season fruits and veggies

      Delete
  3. You always accomplish so much in a day’s time. There’s a lot to love about this post - the magnificent woodpecker, the dried blossoms and petals, and reading about your day out and about with your sister-in-law. How wonderful to have the Amish market so near. The lettuce wrap sounds like something I would choose. Your last thought on the weaving, “I will think on that this week” reminds me of Scarlet in Gone With the Wind, “I will think about that tomorrow.”

    I worked outside most of the day. The wind was so strong so I am sure I will pay for it by morning. Oak pollen is not my friend. We are under a freeze warning but not a heavy one. I covered several of my tender plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fabulous surprise to see the woodpecker! He looks so colourful, love it 😀. Sounds like you had lots of fun with your sil, the market sounds wonderful! I bet it took ages to gather all those flowers, they looks so pretty. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was a total surprise-and so fun to see him happy weekend Jo

      Delete
  5. What a treat to see that woodpecker - so colourful! Glad that the Amish market looks a good place to shop. We found a farm shop this week, fairly close to home that we will be going back to. Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so special to view this woodpecker-my husband saw him again a couple days ago, so he must have a nest in the area.
      farm stores are the best-hoping to get fresh veggies and fruits this summer

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit