Monday, March 9, 2020

T Stands for a Rainy Day & an Attempt to Paint

   Happy T everyone,

       We gather at hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth blog to share a post with a drink related photo You are most welcome to join us. A wonderful group of talented and friendly artists and crafters

   I heard the soft rain as I was waking up this morning, and it continues off and on. A pleasant spring like day-I love it.



 Sunday was amazing, by afternoon we were in the 60's f with light winds and full sunshine. I was just getting ready to suggest that Larry go throw a fish line in off the deck, and our good friends (near the woods house) dropped in for a visit. So the guys went fishing and us girls chatted and caught up. A nice afternoon.

  I have been drinking cups of decaf coffee with whipped cream. The whip cream on top that melts into the coffee makes me smile haha



and today (Monday) when I  made up a fresh pot for me I remembered these lovely cups that I don't use often. I bought this set in the '70s in North Carolina. I loved this artist-and she electric fired her pottery (opposed to gas fired) which made her pieces very light.



   I did finish up the spinning for the pretty blue merino and silk blend. I had a difficult time with this one with all the different textures and bits of wools and silks-but it will be fine for my saori style weaving project. This goes into my bag of spun Yellowstone Park inspired colors.


  I did not meet my goal for the project of finishing setting my loom and the threading by end of February so that goal continues for March.

 Friday early evening a bit before darkness there were these bright yellow spots on the lake from some sort of reflection. I finally figured it out that it was from the almost full moon being so bright. I wanted to try and paint that.

  Today (Monday) since it was raining I wanted attempt this.  I thought I would just try painting with no influences from Your Tube videos etc-but I think I will look for some inspiration on how to paint water and skies.
    I almost did not share my piece as this may just be too "primitive" but I actually like it. As those yellow spots in the water were really amazing to see and figure out where they came from.
    The sky should have been a bit lighter. Since there are houses and docks across the lake for my view I added in dabs of brown to seperate sky from water.  (so don't laugh to hard 😀 when you see the painting)

   This is the pad of paper that came with my acrylic paints-I forgot to take a photo of the paints I was using-not allot of color choices and when I tried to lighten the blues they got more grey.
     I wanted to play around a bit first before I decide if I want to learn more about painting and pick up more colors.


    Finished piece before glueing into my journal






Taking photos and then looking at this-I for sure needed more contrast of blues between the water and sky-I do want to learn to paint water better. It was just before dark when I saw this scene.

   That's it for me this week.  
We just finished our main 2 pm meal a bit ago, so need toclean up the kitchen and then I am going to bake up a batch of cookies that I mixed up this morning. This is the one with no flour-I used mostly almond butter and a little cashew butter, dark keto choco chips, yellow raisins, quick oats, keto sugars and some spices.  I will update this post with a photo of cookies to share



Happy T

39 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! I LOVE those cups, so beautiful, and filled with coffee and whipped cream - yesssssssssssssssssss! Glad you had a good day with our friends, that's always fun. The merino and silk yarn is gorgeous, love those colours. Your new painting is great, too, very atmospheric! Happy T day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie, these cups really are gorgeous-I love them

      Delete
  2. I love capuccino with cream, Kathy. I think I need caffeine!!!
    Your painting is gorgeous, my friend. A great moon over the sea. Do not stop painting. Everyone is an artist! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Valerie and Mia, it’s an atmospheric painting and everyone is an artist. The best thing to me that you wrote is that you like it! Nothing can be too primitive, it’s a recognized style of painting. I love primitive art! Keep it coming if you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cups are so pretty and again, the yarn reflects the colors in your cups. You captured the moonlight glinting off the water perfectly in your painting. Well done. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you CJ I was going for that-and in real live there were those big blobs of bright yellow in the water

      Delete
  5. those are beautiful mugs Kathy. Wonderful textured journal page. A little tip (in case you don't do it)- I put a plain piece of paper- copy paper, or deli paper, or wax paper over an acrylic page like this when finished so it doesn't stick to the facing page when closed.
    Your cookies look delicious, especially with your coffee. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, that is an excellent tip. I buy those boxes of wax paper sheets from Sams and I cut them to size and have been cutting them to size for all of my journal pages-I am glad I did that as a couple stuck a bit to the wax paper-but pops right off.
      These are one of my favorite handmade pottery pieces-thank you

      Delete
  6. Ohhhh, I love rain! Sadly we live ground level, so I cannot hear it.
    The 70´s sure were an era, oh, I loved it.
    There are special papers for acrylic? I haven´t seen that here! Wow, it´s really beaming with color!
    A happy T-day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my painting is definately beaming with color-too much I think Happy T

      Delete
  7. I LOVE your pottery and that your painting ~ I haven't really tried yet either, and it's so good to play & learn new things. Cookies look yummy ~ Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This painting is totally new for me and yes difficult-will play a bit more before I decide if I want to continue or not-

      Delete
  8. I'm loving those mugs too, I love how the flowers are etched into the clay - beautiful 😁. It sounds like you had fun with your painting, you captured your happy memories so beautifully! Glad you had a nice time with your friends and that yarn looks wonderful, blue is my favourite colour. Those cookies look yummy too just right to enjoy with my cuppa ...lol 😉. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for positive and kind comments Jo-hugs I love this pottery set too-makes me smile

      Delete
  9. Looks like you're really enjoying yourself, Kathy. That's a rainy day for you, stay inside and let your creative mind do its thing.

    Also, those cookies at the end... They look really good! Can I get some? Pretty please, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these cookies turned out pretty good, it is nice to enjoy a rainy day

      Delete
  10. Kathy that pottery is so beautiful, i love the colours and the colour of your yarn too.
    I'm not into thick cream in coffee or hot chocolate, too rich for me and it fills me up too much.
    Have a great T Day, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J the cream is something new for me-I have always drank my coffee with nothing added but since I am now 70 am splurging haha hugs

      Delete
  11. I bragged to Valerie how happy I was that my internet hadn’t gone out due to the storms that raged through my area off and on yesterday. Seems I spoke too soon. I finally gave up and went to sleep.

    Your yarn turned out great, and I like the painting, Far better than anything I can do. I suggest you do an internet search for tints and shading/tones. Tints lighten the paint (to a given point), while shading/tones darkens the paint. Use white for tinting and black for shading/tones. You might want to invest in a good color wheel OR make one.

    That set of mugs and pottery are wonderful. Beautiful colors and lovely design, too, Thanks for sharing your yarn, your painting, and your decaf coffee and whipped cream with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your internet sounds like my tv service-everything here at the lake is with the coop electric company and is all fiber-only complaint is the tv in the living room constantly needs rebooting I need to call them again.

      Delete
  12. OOhh you´ve got storms !! lots of rain Kathy, what a chance ! Please send us some rain. :) Happy T-day ! I love your cup, and your 70´s cups and jar, they are very beautiful.
    I have to say that your painting is wonderful, like to see the deep blue water, so interesting. This silk is amazing too, and your cookies may be so delicious, would like to eat one.
    I wish you a very nice day, and send big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caty thank you so much, I do love a good rainy day. and thanks for your kind words with this painting of mine hugs

      Delete
  13. I didn't know that electric fired cermaics were lighter than gas fired, Kathy. You're a veritable font of knowledge. Honestly, I've learned many practical and interesting things from you. That's a lovely set of mugs and pitcher.

    The yarn is beautiful!!!

    Your acrylic painted impression of the moon reflected on the lake is charming. I like that it's all from your imagination. Good for you - I don't often take that risk ;-)

    Thank you for the yummy looking cookies.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eileen-and about the painting I need all the encouragement I can get haha

      Delete
  14. You do some really interesting things! I am going to enjoy watching your work. Those North Carolina cups are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the sound of light rain. Your painting of the moon is lovely. Those cookies look delicious. I like your mug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found this interesting post on different acrylic painting techniques. You might also find it interesting:

    https://mymodernmet.com/acrylic-painting-techniques/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, I had planned to share this one, too, but forgot and hit publish:

    https://www.mybluprint.com/article/acrylic-painting-techniques-all-beginners-should-try

    There's some overlap with the other one, but this one takes less time to view.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That pottery is beautiful, and I can imagine holding a warm mug of coffee and enjoying that view :) with cookies, of course! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well now I really know you are a colorist-look at that yarn!!!! My heavens-you are so good with color. I love your painting and you did right by painting from memory! You captured the essence of what you saw-it's beautiful.
    I think it's the hardest thing about painting-to really see. When you do that, and then think about how the colors relate to each other-that's most of the painting right there. You already have done that because you saw that there should be more contrast between water and sky. You're doing great, and I really am not a Misses Know it all, just have done a lot of paintings (mostly bad ones!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debra, I really appreciate all of your help too-hugs

      Delete
  20. Oh that mug looks beautiful. No wonder you love it so much. And the hot drink and cream makes my mouth water. I can only deduct that you don't have a weight problem. I can't drink more than one or two a year or I will put on weight!
    Your painting is great! Well done for giving it a go!
    That yarn has turned out very well. It looks really beautiful.
    I'm glad you had a good day with your friends. Here the weather is warmer too. It's actually too hot to sit in the sun today. Here we go, summer is on its way.
    Sorry for commenting so late. I'm not up to much at the moment.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs (from a distance as I have a cold)
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pottery!!!!!!! And that yarn is to die for beautiful ♥
    Your painting is very nice. It's hard to do water but I'm sure there are lots of Youtube videos on it. Adding small bits of white on top of the blues is one way to the water movement . Great job for a beginner painter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol- yes I am exploring You Tube videos lately for painting how tos-a fun experience. stay safe-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit