Thursday, March 19, 2020

Fun Mail Has Arrived & Reubens

   For lunch today I made us up reuben sandwiches with the left over corn beef.
     I did decide to bake up two rye breads from my Austrian rye sourdough starter. I decided to do an experiment for me and see if I could eat my rye bread without getting sick. I never mess with anything gluten any more-over 30 years  now.
    Rye is not gluten free but it is very low in gluten compared to wheat, and I had read an article a few years back that the author had celiac and as long as she baked with her own sourdough starter she had less problems-kinda skeptical about that but since I haven't had gluten in soooo long I thought I would give it a go. I would not suggest this if you haven't been gluten free for many years.
   My bread turned out edible-most gf baked breads are horrible-I did add in one beaten egg and 2 tablespoons of psyllium ground which is usually added in gf breads and instead of bread wheat flour I used gluten free flour blend. I also used a red dot thermometer with probe to test the bread-it needs to be 108 degrees f inside temperature to be baked. That is a big problem with baking breads with gluten free flours-getting it done.

    I was very happy with my bread-I will finish slicing it and freeze for later so I don't get myself in trouble with the gluten. I didn't get a photo of Larry's reuben with his sourdough bread which baked up much larger in the pan.


Now for the fun mail-my paints have arrived and I am very happy that these were made in France not China.
    This set is very reasonably priced on Amazon This 48 piece set was a better price I thought and would give me an idea of what colors I like and then will find out how to mix those. My painters color wheel did not arrive yet.


and I was intrigued with this set up and was cheaper to buy this kit.
    I did notice how fast acrylics dry-and I read that this kit-a tray-then a dampened sponge-and then acrylic papers on top-to use as a pallet for your paints-then when finished with the painting-place the lid on top and it will keep your paints fresh for many days some said weeks.
    While waiting for this to arrive I had a small sour cream container-so I put the paint in the lid and then when finished added the bottom container to the lid-which kept the paints moist til the next day-but I think I will enjoy this kit-the reviews were all positive and I asked if there was a mold issue with this-and I got 6 answers saying no  I don't use that many containers of plastics any more either.

  Do any of you use this system?


          Stay safe everyone Happy Weekend

28 comments:

  1. Yummy looking sandwich. I haven't tried rye sourdough yet, but I am still playing with regular sourdough and having fun. I like liquitex paints a lot. I think you will too. Can't wait to see what you do with them Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am finding out that many of you like Liquitex-so I am happy I chose a good one-I read about the company and liked them too

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your Liquitex, Kathy. You will love these acrylics. The quality is very good. I did not know that we can save our acrylics, it seems interesting. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, the paints have arrived! It will be fun to see your efforts. I love your idea to put the paint on a lid and top it with the bottom of a plastic container. I have been struggling with the opposite. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made focaccia for the first time and was pleased with that but have yet to master real bread. I always look for the easiest recipes to try and now that we are mostly staying inside, seems like a very good time to try new things. Happy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you got a rye sandwich that was mostly GF. I guess I'm lucky and have never had to worry about that. I'm glad you are SO cautious about it.

    Gosh, Kathy, these are the same paints I have, except mine are probably much bigger. Of course, I don't have the range of colors you have. You really lucked out. Laurie had some great advice for keeping your acrylics wet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so-so-so thankful I have no food allergies!
    Sadly a Hubby who has, kinda (pancreas nearly gone).

    Now you gave me an idea how to stretch my food - add an egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your corned beef reuben looked delicious. I'm glad your bread experiment worked. The paint kit you received in the mail looks good. Have a good weekend and stay healthy and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Liquitex too kathy.. I don't use a wet palette .. and i probably waste far too much paint.. lol I have found that if i have to mix the paint again the next day its near impossible to get it exact however it does add a little something to what i'm painting... another shade.. more variety.. in my painting if that makes sense.. Have fun Kathy!!! I like using Anita's extender that i get at Hobby Lobby when i want the paint to stay wet a little longer so i can blend.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I used the wet palette last night and today and so far I really love it-less waste of paints for me. I am working on a piece now-I so so like it haha

      Delete
  9. Wow, that sandwich looks so yummy! I have these paints and would recommend them, they have great coverage and you don't need a lot of paint either 😀. I've never tried any of those systems before, I tend to only use what I need for each page. Have fun and enjoy your new goodies! Wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Stay safe and healthy! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I chose these paints too-they sounded good when I read about them. Happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  10. I've pretty much given up on gluten free baking. I guess I don't have the knack as things just don't turn out right. As there was no bread at the grocery store and we're about to run out, I'll be baking bread today. I found an oatmeal bread recipe that I thought sounded nice.

    When I've painted with acrylics, I just put the paint palette in a plastic bag. As to cleaning your brushes, Master's Brush Cleaner is great. Have fun with your paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I have tried baking so many different gluten free breads and they never turn out-a waste of ingredients in the end. I am happy this sourdough rye worked out well. Oatmeal bread is good-good luck with your recipe.
      thanks for the tips

      Delete
  11. thanks for the tips Laurie Yes this was a real treat-an actual sandwich thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sandwich looks tasty. I like acrylics but have never used that kind. I have noticed that the better brands have much deeper colors than the cheap ones I picked up at Dollar Tree. What a surprise, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I picked up a starter acrylic set from wal mart-the brand was from England but made in China-the paint was not the greatest had a few specks of something in it-maybe hardened paint I did allot of reading on different paints that were top grade expensive and I liked Liquitex-and am finding many here use Liquitex

      Delete
    2. that should read that were Not top grade expensive-don't need those thats for sure lol

      Delete
  13. Excited With Anticipation - What Shall She Produce With That Acrylic Set

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sandwich looks great. My bread baking is on hold until our local markets get flour. It is fun to hear about another baker's bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's a bummer to be out of flour-I usually keep several pounds in the deep freezer-happy weekend

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit