Sunday, March 13, 2022

T Stands for Tuesday & This & That

  Happy T Everyone. This link up is held over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog. All are welcome just share a drink related photo in your blog-link in my sidebar.

   A very up and down weather week for sure. Very cold, 3 inches of snow, wind, and now a serious warm up begins here at the Lake in the Ozarks in Missouri.

  I am writing this post on early Sunday morning-first day of the time change-ugh I really wish they would all choose a time for the entire year-and not have these fall and spring time changes. I am writing this post a little earlier than usual just because. haha  

   We hired a company to clean all of our heating vents. My allergies have been worse since we moved here to this lake home. The previous owner of this home had several cats and she was not clean, we noticed that right away. One of the rooms we had to tear up the carpet and replace with new, and I am thinking the vents must be filled with cat hair and dander. I have never had this done before so don't know what to expect, they come on Tuesday.

  Those of us that enjoy a bit or allot of gardening I am sure are anxious to get outdoors and start working up the soil.  I probably did this a bit early as I don't have the ground ready yet-but I have 30 roots coming in this week to plant. They are medicinal-bloodroot-which I use for dye, goldenseal, and wild geranium these are found in woodsy areas as they love the shade-I have a perfect spot for them. I will also be starting my perennial wildflower, and herb seeds this week too. I have all the bottle greenhouses cut and read to go. I wanted to start this much earlier but the evening temperatures were below freezing most nights.

Here are photos I found online for the roots.

  wild geranium


goldenseal-I had this in the woods at our home there


bloodroot-this is a medicinal plant that our friend Lilburn used allot, this was in our woods too If I am going to use ground covers in areas instead of grass I want the plants to have a purpose-these will all spread too and they will be pretty.


   I have decided to stop my Cast Iron Saturdays weekly posts for now. My last one is full of St Patrick's Day recipes including vegan. Perhaps next fall and winter I may post again.  I have enjoyed searching for and sharing recipes using cast iron-but after a year there is still very low interest. When I post I do it because I enjoy it too, but these posts take allot of time to search out and with low interest I don't need to continue. I want to thank all of my regulars that have visited these cast iron recipe posts, which has made this event more fun for me to share with all of you.

  I have recently started Food Wednesdays, which is a link up to share Food with friends. I have set up no rules except to be kind to one another and the topic can be anything food related. I am hoping more will join us. I have really enjoyed this event allot so far, and have already learned new things. Many thanks to all of you that have joined in so far and have shared this link up foods event

 When I was cold last week-we had gotten down to 9 degrees f one evening, I fancied up my French Pressed decaf. coffee with my homemade Kahlua and whipped cream-perfect for a cold morning


We are really enjoying this visitor (red headed woodpecker) who especially loves it when I put out the bird mix with nuts and dried fruit. We discovered there are two of them most likely a pair that is stashing some of this food in the trees



    A book I am reading now-if you enjoy the Outlander and the Men in Kilts shows on Starz this is a very fun read, these two personalities come through in the writing and I have learned allot about Scotland. 

     These two had also written the book Men in Kilts and presented it to Starz for a possible show, which did turn into a series. I have that book too and was glad I read it before the show as it was much better.  They just filmed the second Men in Kilts which comes out sometime this year. 

    I have a red wine in the handmade porcelain cup along with a couple of my dipped apricots and dried strawberries.

This is a close up of the card you see in the background in above photo. I have soooo enjoyed my slow mail friends very much over the last year. My handful of friends have gotten me through this rough winter with surprises in my mailbox. I just received this hand painted postcard from Deb. I love it!!  thank you thank you


Will close with one of our morning bright sunrises. This changed just a bit by the time I found my camera. Just before this view-there was a total reflection of the round sun on the lake-had not seen that before-you can still see a little of that.


Happy T and new week everyone

42 comments:

  1. It is nice that spring is here and that you are ready for gardening, love the photos, amazing capture of sunrise. Dipped apricot looks good. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi spring is coming this week-hopefully it will stay around. Happy new week hugs

      Delete
  2. I have never seen the goldenseal before...it surely looks interesting. Is the red dot in the middle fruit or flower? The sunrise looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I looked it up to be sure-the red are berries inedible but wildlife may eat them

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read about cast iron Saturdays, but when things stop being fun, I can see why you chose to put it on hiatus.

    There was some talk about making DST obsolete, but one legislator said it would have to be at the national level so it could be universal. I think either New Mexico or Arizona stays on standard time all year.

    I've never seen any of these root plants before, but I am glad you are planting them so I can learn about them from you.

    I remember making my own Kahlua before. I remember how hard it was finding vanilla beans to use in the recipe. I remember when you made yours. I know homemade Kahlua can last around 4 to 5 years. It looks wonderful and I bet it warmed you, too.

    I love the design on that porcelain mug. It is so very different. Nice way to serve wine, too.

    Deb's card is beautiful. It looks like there is sparkle in it, too. She draws so well.

    That's a beautiful sunrise over the lake. Thanks for sharing the medicinal herbs, your Kahlua and cream, your red wine, the woodpecker, your card from Deb, and your sunrise over the lake with us for T this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Elizabeth, I love cast iron and pretty much prepare all of our meals with it, I have a handful of friends that visit and I think they enjoy the recipe ideas-but decided to move on since I am getting less and less visitors.
      I am kinda thinking many only visit for T and that's it and are not expanding their visits for other things-that's ok
      the homemade spirits will last a very long time and getting better with age-I have a 12 or 15 year bottle of amoretto left is really good now.
      Yes Deb put a few sparkles in the card. Happy T

      Delete
  4. There are no woodpeckers in Greece, Kath. Yes, it is true. So, I love when I see photos of them. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, my friend. Enjoy your day with the lake view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that-I would miss the woodpeckers we have many different ones here in Missouri too very small downy up to a very very large pileated thank you

      Delete
  5. An interesting bird. Is it a woodpecker? Awesome color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this one is the red headed woodpecker both male and female look pretty much the same

      Delete
  6. Hasn't the weather been wild! Highs in the 80s one day, lows in the 20s the next. I agree with you about the time changes. I'll be planting my zinnia seeds soon and picking up some new native plants when I find them. I'm looking to add asters this year.

    We get 3 kinds of woodpeckers on our little patio, but I've never seen a red-headed one here. What a beautiful sunrise! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very up and down weather here too. I love zinnias they bring in allot of butterflies. love asters too
      Missouri has allot of the woodpeckers Happy T

      Delete
  7. Happy T Day, Kathy, look after yourself, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you yes I will be careful with my knees for these outdoor projects-still have allot of rocks to move too you take care of You too hugs

      Delete
  8. We are going to warm up as the week goes on also. Thankfully. This has been a long tough winter, and like you, I am ready to get into the garden. I have one of those geranium plants. It just gets bigger and bigger. I love it, and I hope you will enjoy yours also. This weekend I bought some kale, spinach and lettuce seeds. Once the snow melts I will put my coldframe out, and once the ground warms in the cold frame, I will plant those. I can't wait for fresh greens. I hope you have a warmer week and get some gardening in. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika-your cold frame is perfect for fresh greens. we have a major chipmunk problem here that seem to eat everything in site-I need to figure out how to protect my veggies from them

      Delete
    2. Oh and that's good to know this geranium will spread-I was thinking it would

      Delete
  9. Loved seeing the woodpecker, what amazing colours! That sunset is so beautful too, such a blessing to live on the lake (smile!). I always enjoy seeing your recipes and your makes too, thanks for sharing. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x
    p.s. sorry I haven't been around, my tablet has given up the ghost and it looks like I'll have to get a new one (eek!) so I've resorted to using my laptop for now which isn't as convenient.p.s. sorry I haven't been around, my tablet has given up the ghost and it looks like I'll have to get a new one (eek!) so I've resorted to using my laptop for now which isn't as convenient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, this is a beautiful woodpecker for sure-the red is very brilliant. oh sorry about your tablet-those can be expensive too-hugs

      Delete
  10. You will have a lot to do to get all thse root plants in the ground - but it is good work! I love gardening, and thankfully we can do it almost year round. The geranium will sure spread! What a lovely woodpecker, it looks gorgeous. Our woodpeckers are pretty, too, but not as splendid as this guy. I didn't realize you did cast iron Saturdays - I love to use my cast iron, so I think I will look for those posts. However, if something is no longer fun, it's best to stop, so I can understand that you are no longer posting them. Have a great week, happy T day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to know that this geranium will spread-I have a couple areas to put it in-but I need to get rid of the grass first. I replied by email too Happy T

      Delete
  11. Beautiful flower pictures, lake pictures, and post card. Homemade Kaluah - that is sooooo cool! Great looking drink. Happy T-day, Kathy! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still cold here, too.
    And I so agree - they should stick to summer-time always. The reason, light-saving, is not needed in these modern times.
    Just drives humans and animls alike nuts.

    Ewwww, that sounds horrible with your pre-owner! Good luck it was cat hair and you are better soon.

    Balconying it would be here, but I see the Peanuts in the flowerbed digging along, so...

    Yes, blogging should be about fun! The whipped cream snowman is cute.
    Books... I really want to make time for them, but am so tired lately.
    Yay for the happy mail!
    Ohhhh, your lake, so beautiful, have a happy T-day, hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Iris-well the guys doing the work was supposed to confirm time yesterday and they never called and never answered my email either-don't have a number for them. if they just show up today will cancel.
      balconys can be beautiful too with lots of flower and veggie plants I had a blog friend that lived in Paris-she no longer blogs-but she had fruit trees, and veggies, and flowers on her balcony-gorgeous.
      I enjoy reading books at night agree Yay for happy mail hugs

      Delete
  13. Himself is anxious to get his gardens going. Last week, we took a trip to buy some seeds and seed starter boxes. Beautiful birds, happy mail, and sunrise over the lake. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thinking allot of us ready to get gardens going-thanks Happy T

      Delete
  14. Crazy weather here too! I loved to garden when we were in a house. It is the balcony now. But I have a ton of houseplants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. house plants are good too, and balconys can be made full of pots of plants too-Happy T

      Delete
  15. That is a gorgeous woodpecker! We have several species come to our feeders, but not this one. Let's hope the last blast of cold and winter is over for this year. Definitely time for spring and plantings! Thanks for sharing your cast iron posts. I like that I can go back and look at them again and again;). Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, This one is really handsome, I think the nuts drew him in. I am so hoping we are done with freezing temps too-Happy T

      Delete
  16. The wild geraniums and goldenseal are very pretty woodland plants, we have them around here, and they are so lovely if you are walking in the woods. I think I have some dried bloodroot somewhere as I have done a lot of dyeing with plants in the past and used to collect and dry plants for that purpose. The book sounds interesting, I will have to check it out and see what they have to say. I also like your mug. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is awesome that you collected and dyed with plants-I did allot of that at our woods house and so enjoyed it all very much.
      this is a fun book to read and learning about Scotland too

      Delete
  17. That is encouraging that you have things coming up in your garden! I am really excited for Spring this year.
    Hope you have sucess with the cleaning of your vents. It is amazing how dirty a home can get with pets. The previous owners of our home had a dog and we are still finding dog hairs after 6 years, howbeit rare now, but all the time in the first few years.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate
    Beautiful woodpecker. I love the red head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate-sadly they never called yesterday like they said they would and didn't show up today. so will need to search for another company
      there has to be allot of cat dander in the vents here for sure seems worse this winter.
      we have noticed that we have a pair of these woodpeckers now

      Delete
  18. i forgot to tell you. I had my vents cleaned when I had the flood in the basement. The insurance company didn't want to take the chance of any mold anywhere The company used what looked like a huge bottle brush, but first, they closed and sealed all the vents and the intake vent (or whatever they are called).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth-I was really disappointed the people we hired did not follow through-they were suppose to call me yesterday to confirm the time and come today-never heard from them I emailed them no response-bummer I will need to look for someone else

      Delete
    2. It would be nice to get references, but sometimes that is not possible. Sorry for the no-show. I actually came by to tell you I won't be able to link until midnight at Food Wednesday when it goes live. Still working my way through T posts!

      Delete
    3. No worries, I know you said you were behind with posts. I did get a couple of references so don't know what happened.

      Delete
  19. A lovely post and I know more people will join in. It takes a bit of time so don't give up. The last 2 years I was able to get my garden going in Feb. This year we have had freezes so my garden is getting a late start. We don't have a very long growing season here. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. late winter temps and freezing here too-so I am behind too glad you enjoyed the post

      Delete
  20. Your garden will look beautiful- I hope you can get on with it soon! The Woodpecker is so beautiful - when we had our caravan I used to love seeing the woodpecker on the feeder. Your coffee with cream looks great.It must be great to see the sun on the lake like that. I hope cleaning your vents out sets you free from your allergies. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love seeing the woodpeckers too-this one and his mate are here every day now several times.
      bummer the cleaning the vents people never confirmed our appointment like they said they would and then never showed up sadly

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit