Thursday, March 10, 2022

Just Dropping in to Say Hi & Spring Gardening Plans

   Hi everyone,

     Winter is returning late today into tomorrow with 3 inches or so of snow and low single digits-brrrr   Which of course will end up with ice under the snow again-but good news a warm up will start up late Sunday with a nice warming  next week.

   I will be planting lots of seeds in my water bottle "greenhouses" soon-will probably start that this weekend, and then put them out after the very cold spell.

  I also just ordered a pound of shade growing wildflower seeds. There is a small section of grass under a tree near the rock project-that I am going to kill off as soon as I can, and then plant some of these seeds in that area. My husband found a nice online site with different wildflower mixes-no fillers, and this one is 50-50 annuals and perennial seeds.  Also I had saved a seller on Ebay and just ordered his plants of bloodroot, goldenseal, and wild geranium which are all medicinal plants. I have an area around the little garden shed and down the hill on that side of the house-that I am going to kill the grass as well and plant these along with the shade wildflower seeds.  It stays pretty shady in that area. There is a small section of grass-weeds up on the side of our garage and the neighbors property line-that I am also going to kill off and plant perennial flowers of some sort.

  We were very unhappy with the mowing service we hired last year. Too expensive and poor quality-every week it was something else. With Biden's attack on our gas and oil energy independence cutting grass will be too expensive. Neither of us can handle a mower on these hills around the house-so I am thinking of looking into getting a weed eater of some sort and see if I can handle that-mostly the front of the house and a bit on the side til I work on getting rid of most of the grass here on the property. Thinking it will be pretty with all the wildflowers blooming.  This will also bring in the songbirds, butterflies, and bees  If we had extra money I would check into how expensive it would be to bring in rock and stone to the front of the house down to the lake-that would be perfect. I have no idea how costly that would be. Would be easier to maintain for sure.

   The last two evenings I have been reading a book I have never read, and it's one I thought I should read. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett a classic, first published in book form in 1911.  I really enjoyed this book and looking forward to reading some of her other books. There are so many different forms of the book now-If I were to buy a hardcover I would pick up the one illustrated by Tasha Tudor. If you have an ereader kindle- Amazon usually has these old classics selling very reasonable-under a couple dollars or sometimes free to read.



 I did not know this was made into a movie too-looking that up there are several movie versions, the best versions suggested was the 1949 (hmmm the year I was born ) and the 1975 versions

    The coconut macaroons are almost gone now, so need to decide what cookie I want to bake up next.

  Happy Thursday everyone

    

  

20 comments:

  1. I love the idea of wild flowers growing in your garden! The Secret Garden is a fabulous book and there certainly have been some excellent films and TV series made. We enjoyed the 2020 version, but to be fair we enjoy the story how ever it is portrayed on film. Fuel prices have rocketed here - even since Tuesday, there has been a rise of 7p per litre. We have been looking for more local parks to visit! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice you are able to get the garden going. We are still in a freeze. I do have seedlings going in the house. Would love to see a photo of your yard and water bottle greenhouse. I too use them. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to start the seeds in the bottles this weekend-but won't put them out til after that 9 degree night brrrr. this is the best method for me to start good seedlings-I have tried many other ways.

      Delete
  3. I'm getting antsy to garden too. We have more snow coming Saturday, and it is still early here to plant. But I know what you mean about thinking about the garden. I have never read the Secret Garden book either. Glad to hear you liked it. I should put it on my list. Hope the snow doesn't come as they predict. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just started snowing here. I was glad I read this-started out rather sad but a good story with meaning. Happy friday and weekend

      Delete
  4. Such a nice spring time post! Right? With snow coming down! I have a copy of the Secret Garden illustrated by tashaTudor. I love that book. Your wildflowers ideas are sounding just lovely! Enjoy the snow! I will NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Spring! And have a fun gardening time, Kathy. We have been lucky and having some really nice warm weather in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy, great idea with the wild flowers. Prices are rising all over the world just now because of the Ukraine war. Don't do too much gardening and look after your back! Have a great weekend, bake some nice cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie, I especially need to look after my knees-hmmm cookies sound delicious about now hugs

      Delete
  7. Will there be sheep to help you? If so, pics, pretty please!
    Here the sun is shining, but it´s cold. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our property here on the lake is very small-so no sheep-although I do love them

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. yes I am hoping we have seen the last of it here-warming up allot this week

      Delete
  9. I’ve yet to read The Secret Garden, but Indid see a movie version I enjoyed. I’m not sure which one (80s?) but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this was a good read for me. I get Mary Jane's farm magazine and she was talking about this book, and I said I need to read this book. haha I found it for under a dollar on kindle. but I just bought a hard cover book with jacket like new with Tasha Tudor's paintings for around 4.00 free shipping on ebay. so will re read it again soon

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit