Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Seeds in Bottles & Views on the Lake

   Good afternoon, Larry went to check on things at the woods home with a friend today, and I needed to start planting my wildflower seeds in the bottles.

   I had a huge bag of bottles I had saved and had them all prepared to use so that saved time-but I started around 8:30 am this morning and was finishing up with the last two bottles just when Larry got back home around 3:30 in the afternoon so it took longer than I figured.  

  I love this method of growing seeds because you end up with mini greenhouses and the stems are usually thick and very healthy too. I learned about this from our blog friend Carol years ago (she doesn't post much anymore but she lives in Missouri too) 

  Note: I had just emptied a bag of seed starting soil into this tub when I took this photo so it still needs to be wetted down well.



These bottles have holes punched all over them including the bottom, and then you cut around the bottom but leave the area near the handle in tack-when finished planting seal up with duct tape and leave outdoors in a sunny spot, these don't usually need much watering either, as in the mornings the condensation drops back into the soil and plants


I ended up with 20 bottles today  I have a few more seeds to plant this way, but these I really needed to get started so they will be ready to plant in May


close ups I think you can read these if you enlarge the photos



My bag of shade wildflower seeds, and the medicinal plant roots arrived today too, I am going to place the roots in that tub I was using with the seed potting soil til I get the ground ready for them. These were mailed in plastic bags and need to get out of those.


Early morning today a very very bright rising sun-so we had diamonds on the water


and visitors






Couldn't believe it-we made it up to 75 degrees today with full sunshine. I finally could change out my sweatshirt for a t shirt-exciting haha 

and last night a surprise



Happy Mid week Everyone

20 comments:

  1. You've got a whole garden started Kathy. Nice. We're still a few weeks away from starting bottle gardens outside, but it is getting close. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy St Patrick's day to you too I will making the corn beef meal tomorrow. I am hoping we don't get any more below freezing temps, but if these haven't sprouted yet they should be ok since allot of these re seed themselves through the winter months.

      Delete
  2. Kathy, I hope you will show us later how the seeds you planted today are growing.
    Your metaphor of: "diamonds in the water" is excellent. It is true, due to the effect of sunlight the lake seems to be covered with diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will share the plants we didn't see this in the winter months-so this was awesome to see again-warmer weather has arrived yeah

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe of how you are planting these seeds, Kathy. It would take me 20 years to collect that many gallon sized containers. I am truly impressed, though. I have started thyme from seed a couple of times and have had absolutely NO luck with it. I look forward to seeing if yours takes off. Thanks for sharing this first step in your new herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Elizabeth this is the best method I have found for good results-they are like mini greenhouses.
      I only use distilled water for the prof. coffee pot as there is no way to clean all the lime out of these so this works. I do repurpose as many bottles as I can
      I have lavender seeds started too-first time for that

      Delete
  4. How exciting! I am going to do this! The warm temperatures today were just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really a wonderful way to do seeds. I would wait til no more freezing at night for tomatoes etc

      Delete
    2. Love how you grow your seeds, great idea. The photos of the lake are fabulous. Have a great day, hugs, valerie

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful lake view! Happy Gardening, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic view of the lake and amazing visitors. intrigued how you do your gardening.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how cool! Sadly in Germany I have never seen these bottles, only in Australia - but what a cool idea!

    Beautiful pics of your lake, thank you for making me smile big - and Peanut´s cousin, awww.
    To a great rest-week, can´t believe Thursday here is nearly done! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!Great photo of wing spread bird landing. You've done a lot of work. Happy Planting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those diamonds on the water are beautiful ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been busy Kathy! Diamonds on the water so very appropriate. I see you have lots of callers too. They obviously enjoy the snacks you leave out for them. Take care. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit