Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Hello everyone, and Welcome to Food Wednesdays.

        First though I want to share that March 1st is Yellowstone National Park's 150th birthday.    "News Release: March 1, 2022, marks the 150th anniversary of the establishment of Yellowstone National Park. Signed into law by President Ulysses S. Grant, America's first national park was set aside to preserve and protect the scenery, cultural heritage, wildlife, geologic and ecological systems and processes in their natural condition for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.

Anniversary efforts include highlighting engagement with Tribal Nations, activities hosted by Yellowstone and multiple park partners, a virtual video series, and groundbreakings on multiple park infrastructure and historic preservation projects. Learn more: go.nps.gov/22011." I also found this slideshow-150 years in photos
  Back to Food
  
    I created this link up so friends (and new friends) can share Food with each other. No rules to link up just post about Food-recipes, cookbooks, photos, a favorite restaurant-it's up to you what you would like to share about Food. 

  This week I want to share a new flour blend I put together that is low carb, gluten free and keto.  One of the things about gluten free flours for baking is that they are based mostly on rices and starches, so are heavy in carbs. These gluten free flour blends have more carbs than unbleached white wheat flour for baking.  As a result I don't bake as often as I would like to, I used to always have some cookies in the cookie jar or something fresh baked every week.
  Searching online for ideas I settled on this recipe I found the oat fiber on amazon. The link explains the ingredients well.

   To try this out I decided to bake up the pumpkin bread recipe that we really liked. One can of pumpkin makes two loaves so I get two bowls out to make the two loaves. One side I used Bob's Red Mill 1-1 gf flour, and for the other bowl I used one cup of the keto blend flour and 1/2 cup of Bob's gf.   I have had so many failures with keto flours that I decided to add a little bit of the gf flour. 
   I have baked several keto recipes with just almond flour and we don't like them at all, and that can be allot of nuts per serving as well.  Note: I am not on a keto diet, but do have to be gluten free-so I am always looking to try out new ways to bake with less carbs and sugars-for our health concerns.

  I was pleased with the results. The one with the keto flour blend was baked through well but it was a bit more moist than I like-so I made notes to bake a bit longer. and a reminder when baking breads like this, even with just the gluten free flours one needs to take an internal temperature reading to assure it is baked. The range is 195-205 degrees f  You will have better success with baking.

note: all photos will enlarge just click on them



I was pleased with the rise-the one on the right is all gf flour-and the top split where as the other one did not.



This one is the keto/gf flour blend-a bit more moist-I am storing this in the frig, and slices well and a bit more firm-and delicious I added jumbo raisins that I soaked first before adding to the batter.


and this one is the all gluten free flour--the white spots is coconut oil, our home has been quite chilly with the low temps we had. I melted the coconut oil first but by the time I added in everything to blend-allot of it firmed up on me again. usually if that happens the coconut oil will bake right in but it didn't this time Still very good though



Last week I also made a pot of potato soup. I do start with a mix we like, it's high in salt so this is a salt meal for us. I add a little more liquid than it says (I use unsalted chicken stock instead of water) and I add in more cooked diced potatoes. Along with dried onions, chives, green peppers, dried soup ingredients, a little garlic powder and onion powder.


dried green bell peppers and onions from the Amish store


dried soup ingredients


I start with the dried veggies, herbs, and small diced potatoes. once the potatoes are cooked through I add the mix. sometimes I add in a small can of clams





Now it's your turn to share-Please link up with your actual Food Wednesday's post and not your blog url thank you Enjoy and Be Kind


19 comments:

  1. The keto pumpkin bread looks awesome with that tender crumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks yummy Kathy. I, unfortunately, am allergic to almonds, so that means there's a whole lot of baking I can't do. I think my favorite flour is spelt. It has a nice nutty taste. But of course you don't always want an nutty flavor. And your soup looks yummy too. I made French onion soup yesterday. It was yummy. I hope you are having a great start to the new month. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I love spelt flour it makes an excellent pizza dough too that everyone liked. I had tried eating spelt during my early years I discovered I had celiac, since it is low in gluten-but it had too much for me. Thinking most of us are allergic to some food-now since so many are baking with almond flour you need to be especially careful.
      oh yum we love french soup too and I have not had that in years-I think ever since I no longer had a broiler.
      Happy March and thank you for linking up with us today

      Delete
  3. I am all in for pumpkin bread and this looks so moist. The potato soup is a winner too. I am so happy you started this link up. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you Nicole, and I love seeing your food posts too- Your bread looks delicious-thanks for linking up and promoting Hugs

      Delete
  4. The bread looks delicious! The last time I made potato soup I used one of those bagged mixes lol It's cheating but so easy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made potato soup from scratch and it was hard for me to make a good soup-I like this brand, and since we don't have it that often I put with up the high salt content and it's pretty good after adding more to it
      thanks for visiting

      Delete
  5. Kathy is that pumpkin bread? I tried to find where you said just what it was but i couldn't find it.. either way it looks absolutely scrumptious! I have a pumpkin bread recipe... sometimes i have trouble getting it all the way done in the middle.. from a little research it seems i'am over mixing it and it can cause that.. Does that ever happen to you?? Great post my friend! Oh! and Received your snail mail yesterday!! Thank you thank you thank you! Sure brightened my day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes this is pumpkin bread-I forgot about the over mixing for this. the recipe I linked to said to stir til just combined-so this is one I would mix by hand and not use a mixer.
      so happy you got your snail mail letter was thinking the letters should be arriving this week-hugs

      Delete
  6. Your pumpkin bread looks a lot like what Scott made for Christmas. I might try to make more myself next week. I know what you mean about coconut oil. I use it to cook at times, but mostly I use it in soap making.

    Ironic, Scott and I made potato soup on Sunday. It was gone before I even got photos. It was SO good and so different from yours. Nice photos and the food sounds wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry doesn't like pumpkin but he has enjoyed this bread, with a bit of cream cheese-smiles.
      I would love to know your potato soup recipe-I have had good luck making it from scratch-the milk would curdle on me or seperate.
      thanks for visiting

      Delete
  7. Pumpkin... oh.
    Ingo´s Granma: "I still have a pumpkin in the cellar... can you... " ewww, did I tell that icky story before? It made pumpkin bad for life for me, LOL!
    But the soup sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, so glad you linked up-and your dish sounds delicious, I never know what to do with coconut milk or cream this was a great idea!
      that would turn me off of pumpkin too my farm girl grandma had a root cellar as well and sometimes a potato would go bad that we had to find

      Delete
  8. I didn't realize that soup was high in salt. I'll have to remember that. Your baking results look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, yes most all soups are very high in salt also stocks and broths very high in salt-so I only buy the no salt version in those now

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit