Friday, March 11, 2022

Cast Iron Saturdays- St Patrick's Day (a few vegan too)

 Welcome to Cast Iron Saturdays, where I share recipes made in cast iron that I have found on the web.

  Since St Patrick's day is coming up next week I wanted to share recipes using cast iron.

  Do you make a St Patrick's Day dinner?? We love corn beef and cabbage so I have always made us this meal. When our friend Lilburn was still with us (he passed a few years ago) I would invite him over as it was his birthday and he loved the meal as well.

  I have always boiled my corn beef, I never had this meal growing up at home but I found out about it years after living away from home. So this is the way I have always made it. Boil the corn beef (actually simmer) for a few hours, then add in the fresh carrots and potatoes, when those were cooked through-I took out the meat to rest and added in the cabbage. I have always kept a corn beef spice around that I would add to the water.

 Recently I have learned about roasting the corn beef instead. Larry likes it boiled so that's the way I have always made this dish. 

    How do you prepare your corn beef dinner if you make one?

Homemade corn beef from Southern Cast iron  this recipe is making it from scratch-I have made this from scratch too but the recipe I have takes about a month to turn brisket into corn beef-very delicious and worth the effort.



Dutch Oven Corn Beef and Cabbage   I just never thought of making it this way- just may try it this year to make it a little different.

   This link has allot of good information as it explains the difference between the two different cuts of the corn beef. I always get the more expensive per pound as there is less fat and more meat and gives lovely slices of meat.  I would not add the beer-instead just water, or they suggested beef broth. This recipe is not adding the corn beef spices which I would use




Also from Southern Cast Iron Celery Root Mash-very different for this meal but sounds good



A different way to prepare the cabbage-from Southern Cast Iron Cider Roasted Cabbage and Bacon  This sounds good I would leave out the bacon



Here is a recipe for left overs Irish Cast Iron Skillet Corn Beef Colconnan Casserole



For Irish Soda Bread recipes see last week's post

For a traditional Irish dessert-Cast Iron Apple Cake  This link talks about the history of this cake


and if you want to really celebrate perhaps you have family and/or friends over we need some Irish beverages

This link will take you to 17 boozy St Patrick's drinks

 Here is a photo of one of them 


For Non boozy drinks here is a link to Green beverages

a photo of one of them- lime sherbet floats


I know I have a few followers that are vegetarian or just prefer less meat meals. So I did a search for a vegetarian St Patrick's day meal These don't show using cast iron but they could be used instead

Spinach and Feta Pastry Shamrock




Green Mac and Cheese with No food coloring  this sounds really delicious




This link takes you to 18 vegan recipes for St Patrick's day This includes beverages and many vegan recipe ideas for the whole meal, some are also gluten free including a cookie



Hoping this gives you some recipe ideas for St Patrick's Day

   Happy Cast Iron Saturdays

11 comments:

  1. Wow that is an Iris St. Patty's day dinner. I love the shamrock spinach and fetta pastry. Great post for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I made my first Irish soda bread, but I've never done corned beef. It looks yummy, and you can have reubans with the left overs too. I also like the idea of the green mac and cheese with no food coloring. You could add corned beef shreds to it also. Happy weekend Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I forgot about using left overs for reubans-my husband's favorite. I like that green mac and cheese too.
      Happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  3. Your food always looks soooooo good! Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even before I became a vegetarian, I didn't care for corned beef and cabbage. I remember my grandmother making it for St. Patty's Day every year. I had to force myself to eat it.

    That green mac and cheese sounded good, as did their Mexican mac and cheese. Thanks for the vegan and vegetarian dishes that are St. Patrick's Day worthy, dear. Sorry I am SO late visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, nice thing about the internet-I don't consider anyone late when visiting hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit