Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Food Wednesdays-Fajitas & Lake Photo and Video

   Hi Readers,

     I started this link up food post for us to share recipes and anything food related with each other. Hoping you will  join in. Please share the link of your Food Wednesday's post and not just your blog-thank you.

  Over the weekend enjoying time with our out of state friends, I made fajitas with skirt steak one evening.

I didn't get photos but thought I would still share my dish. This turns out tender and very delicious

Kathy's Fajitas

  Skirt steak-at room temperature slice across the grain in very thin strips, if the strips seem too wide then cut to make narrow strips.  After cutting up a small pile of meat I then toss with adobo spice, a little cumin, and just a bit of hot red pepper flakes. Place in bowl or zip lok bag. Continue till all the meat is sliced. Place in the fridge for several hours.  My friend said sometimes she likes to toss the meat with lime juice first and then toss in the spices.

   Sweet peppers-I like to use a couple different colors of these peppers-slice up the pepper halves in thin slices, about half as much as the meat and place in zip lok bag and place in the fridge.

  Onion-I like the large white onions but large onions of your choice. After peeling the onion I cut it in half, lay cut side down and slice again in narrow slices across the onion. Cut up about the same amount as you did the sweet peppers. Place in zip lok bags and place in the fridge

When it's time to cook your meal-take out the steak and veggies and let warm to room temperature.  I saute in olive oil the veggies til they are tender. Set aside.

In a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil toss in a small amount of meat til just browned on both sides-add to the veggies-continue til finished cooking all the meat. When finished add back into the cast iron pan-turn the temp down to low and toss the meat and veggies together. 

Note: do not add allot of meat to the pan while just browning it, otherwise you will be steaming the meat and it will taste tough The goal is small amounts of meat in a hot skillet so it will cook up fast. add more oil as needed

Warm up tortillas on a cast iron flat griddle or skillet. or fajitas are also good in corn taco shells.

I like to serve these with black beans, tomatoes and green chilis.

      I grab another cast iron skillet, add all of one can of black beans-I use no salt black beans. I drain and rinse the second can of black beans and add to the skillet. With the heat on medium high you want to cook this down slowly to cook off most of the liquid. If you have dried onions on hand that will soak up allot of the liquid as they cook. I then add a can of diced peeled tomatoes with green chilis-choose the amount of chili heat you prefer.  I keep this simmering on low to medium heat to cook off the liquid-you don't want the beans to stick to the bottom of your skillet. Sometimes I will take a hand held potatoe masher and just mash in the skillet about half of the beans.

  This dish could also be turned into a large salad bowl instead of using tortilla shells.

Now it is your turn to share your own Food Wednesdays post




Early morning photo and video February 1st When I saw this magnificent red sky early this morning (Tuesday) thinking of the saying sailor take warning-we are in for a winter event beginning tonight lasting through Friday-we will wait to see what occurs

16 comments:

  1. My fajita meat is always tough, so now I know what to change in my cooking. Thanks!

    What a beautiful sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It took me awhile to figure this out, also need to cut the meat across the grain which also makes a big difference in the tenderness too
      we had a gorgeous sky for sure this morning-and in the video the reflections in the lake are amazing-

      Delete
  2. The video sounds are hypnotizing. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing video, very relaxing, Fajitas sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the process how its made. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a fajita...it sounds really tasty since it involves STEAK :-) Love that gorgeous morning shot, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these are really delicious that was amazing seeing the red sky

      Delete
  5. Oh yummy. I haven't had fajitas in a long time. Sorry no food this week but with the new challenge at AJJ and second on the second falling on a Wednesday, that seemed to take up my post. I hope you aren't getting snow from this storm. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we hadn't had fajitas either for awhile so it was a good choice with friends. I don't think there is a day in the week not taken up already-we'll see if there is any interest in a month or so.
      I hoping we don't get the 10 inches or the ice for sure.

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, fajitas - sounds yum! And tender, LOL. And black beans, yum.
    Beautiful pic/video!

    Hmmm, I just threw in again, but have a pic of my broccoli. I join, but let me know if you don´t want this throwing in / threw me out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iris, your broccoli dish sounds delicious! and I am so happy you shared with us-probably won't get too many visitors now, I try to post the food wednesdays late tuesday afternoons. hugs

      Delete
  7. Oh what a nice post! The recipe sounds wonderful too. I loved your red sky photo and the movie! Hearing the nuthatch singing made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Debra, am so happy you enjoyed the video-I didn't catch the nuthatch's singing am off to listen for that-hugs

      Delete
  8. Making ratatouille today for the first time in ages. I will take pictures and notes for next Wednesday's food day. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit