Friday, February 25, 2022

Cast Iron Saturdays More Winter Dishes

  Good morning and Welcome to Cast Iron Saturdays

     Since many of my readers are still "enjoying" winter days haha  I am sharing more wintry foods this week.

    Lodge cast iron sent me an email with a few yummy looking recipes this week, so will start with those.

Chickpea Soup with Turmeric and Ginger  I think this recipe looks and sounds delicious and it is vegetarian and gluten free too

   


Creamy Mushroom Soup  to make gluten free use a gf thickener of your choice instead of the flour, for vegetarian use a vegetable stock instead of the chicken and if you don't eat dairy can change up the cream to your choice



Brisket Chili  this is a different "take" on chili and sounds delicious no beans



also from Lodge that I found on Pinterest-Tennessee White Chili  this is chicken based-simple but looks and sounds really good for something different



Dutch Oven Beef Stew this includes a really nice tutorial


Old Fashioned Southern Corn Sticks 
  if you have a cast iron corn stick pan-these are so fun to make  and go great with soups and stews  This link is full of information  and for gluten free just substitute a gluten free flour blend I found it worth the read too




and one more recipe that sounded interesting and a little different-Lentil Stew with Potatoes and Kale  This recipe also has butternut squash and the recipe looks vegetarian  She does use canned lentil soup-but I would make my own lentil soup and then make this recipe with the left over soup.



I am sharing this link especially for our Elizabeth 26 Vegetarian Dinners to make in your Cast Iron skillet  (of course you can make these in a different lighter pan) and these look really delicious too.

   Hoping winter gets easier for all of us soon. We have gotten more ice and snow here, and very very cold temperatures with it. A warm up begins tomorrow so hopefully I can grab my shovel and clear a path up the hill to the mailbox "again"

  Stay safe and warm everyone,  winter is a perfect time for comfort foods made in your cast iron skillets,  Dutch ovens, etc.



18 comments:

  1. Since it is lunch time and I haven't eaten yet, I now am hungry Kathy. I want to try that brisket chili. YUM. These all looks good, and I wish I had some soup as it is snowy here right now. I hope you have a great weekend Kathy, and hopefully you have no snow and its not too cold. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I thought that brisket chili looked really good too I just got finished shoveling this morning up the hill-and we are now headed towards a warm up-so hoping this was the last of the ice and snow
      Happy Friday and weekend

      Delete
  2. I would love some beef stew! The white chili sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Angie, I real love a good beef stew too, but my husband will not eat cooked carrots so I leave those out, and add green beans or something towards the end of the cook. I think the white chili sounds good too will try that one for sure

      Delete
  3. Thank you- the veggie ones are the most appealing to me too, and I will certainly check them out. This weekend I'm making a similar soup like the one with chickpeas, turmeric and ginger:). thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, so glad you dropped by. I don't think the chickpea dish would appeal to my husband but I would like to make this one day sounds delicious to me.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy you shared all those vegetarian dishes, Kathy. I enjoyed perusing the recipes/ I am a HUGE grilled cheese eater, so that Caprese grilled cheese sounded out of this world. Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful recipes this week.

    I hope it's not as cold there as it is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I thought those recipes looked pretty good too. We are finally going to be warmer tomorrow-and I got dug out to the top of the hill too warmer next week they are saying

      Delete
  5. These foods all look so good, real, warming winter foods. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the word Chili, and that's all I think about. lol. Single digits here in Vermont today. Clear sky and sunny, so far.
    Thank you for the recipes. The Dutch Oven Stew is an attractive dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brrr stay warm we are finally out of those single digits and going towards warmer weather every day now

      Delete
  7. Kathy all these soups and the corn sticks sound delicious. The first one with chick peas and turmeric and ginger especially has me intrigued. The corn sticks are so pretty instead of just cornbread. Funny how something that has the same ingredients takes on a special taste when it is shaped differently. Be careful friend that ice is so dangerous. We have finally seen ours melted and I am thankful. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi our ice got a big meltdown today-wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the recipes-I agree it is fun to have different molds like these cornsticks, I also have a fish mold
      Happy weekend

      Delete
  8. Lots of delicious dishes and recipes Kathy. I can see quite a few I could adapt to my diet which is mainly vegetables and fruit. I am on a high fibre foods diet at present. I've got to get the bad cholesterol count down so my GP tells me. I am quite enjoying it actually as I am trying out lots of new recipes. Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, always fun to try out new recipes too-good luck with getting your cholesterol down

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit