Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Wax Seals and Stamps

    Do you like to use wax and seals?  

        During the first few years of marriage,  I picked up a W seal (for my last name) and used it when I sent out cards and letters. I don't remember now what wax I used.

   Several years ago, I had found my stamp again and bought several handmade wax sticks from a seller on Etsy. She made them herself, and her packaging and colors were beautiful. I asked her if the wax would make it through mailing machines-she assured me it would. So of course I purchased several colors. No one ever said anything about the seal so I asked a couple people-they said what seal?  

  Lately I was experimenting with this same wax and the seal came off still, even though I also tried it inside the envelope. Turns out the wax she made is very very brittle and just will not hold up in today's mail system-she was making the traditional wax. I had thought I could use this up in my journal pages someway but playing with the seal, it pops right off the page. So of course I am bumbed.

 Sooo, this past Christmas I got a card in the mail with a beautiful seal on the outside of the envelope. Wow-so I contacted her right away-what did you use?

  Turns out one needs a modern flexible sealing wax, when you purchase it must say flexible. These waxes come in sticks that look like candles. or beads that you melt in a spoon, or even a special glue gun. It must say flexible though to make it through the mail. This company had good information here and I purchased their wax here

  I bought a couple colors, and one of my slow mail friends showed me a photo-your seal made it through-made me happy happy.

  Excited now that I can play with wax and seals again, I ordered a couple new seals from online. Two are coming from France, and another stamp that I fell in love with is coming from China-looking all over the net it seems to be only from China-so I broke down and ordered it too-found both shops on Etsy.

   Not sure how popular wax and stamps are now, but there is allot available when searching the net. Thinking there must be some new ideas out there using the wax I searched online and found some.

   I love the idea of sealing in herbs and flowers, combining wax colors, use on a gift package too.

videos I found: These are similiar but show different techniques on how to melt the wax, with ideas for using. I am an old fashioned girl so I enjoy using the wax sticks with the wick





Found this article from Martha Stewart, this one did not mention flexible wax. It could be that the more modern waxes are flexible-but I would ask the manufacturer to be sure.

Do you still enjoy melting wax and using a stamp for your letters or gifts??? I think it adds a personal touch and makes the slow mail letters extra special.

22 comments:

  1. What a fun way to make a letter, card, or package special! Slow mail will never be the same without a wax seal! :~) I love visiting here at Hummingbird Studio where one never knows what might be going on next. Soon there will be colorful and fragrant petals from flowers to wax and send along in the mail. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am loving the idea of flowers and herbs in the wax-I think it will be neat to use on my handmade soaps wrapping So fun!

      Delete
  2. Kathy this is something I have never tried. I am going to watch your videos that you were so kind to share. I love snail mail. It seems like it has become a lost art. Using was to seal an envelope makes it extra special I am sure. Hope you are having a grand day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, I am enjoying my slow mail friends very much, I am enjoying writing and receiving letters in my mailbox

      Delete
  3. You have so many wonderful ideas! I would be thrilled if I received a card with wax seal and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a nice personal touch, and so charmingly old fashioned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never played with wax seals. Good to know they must be flexible. I have played with wax on journal pages, more like gluing items down with wax and doing a form of encaustic work. I am glad you shared this though Kathy as it was great to read about something I don't know anything about. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, I appreciate that very much. do you know anything about rubber cement? I was wondering after making the seal with the brittle wax if I could glut it down with rubber cement and also cover it with the glue too for protection?

      Delete
  6. Years ago, I bought some 7 Gypsies Sealing Wax. I checked the package and there was no mention of the wax being flexible. BUT, I have sent letters using that wax and it made it through the mail because it was hand stamped. I remember when you sent your Christmas card one year ad all that was left on the envelope was a red circle. Thanks for this updated info, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering if the wax needs to be a more modern wax, but the site I mentioned says it needs to be flexible-which makes sense

      Delete
  7. Amazing a simple gesture makes it so much different. love to use and receive with flexible wax stamp. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used wax seals but they do look fun to use and I can see how they would make a letter very special 😁. So glad to hear about all your crafting fun! I hope you've had a lovely week, happy Friday and weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have rubber cement, Kathy, so I can't advise you on it. MY suggestion would be to add the hard sealing wax to beeswax and melt it until them together. That's the only way I can think it would be workable. Other than that, I fear you bought a pig in a poke, since the seller didn't seem interested in helping you by refunding your money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not though of beeswax but that makes sense. I would need one of those melting spoons probably to combing the two. or just figure it as a loss thanks much

      Delete
  10. Wow, that is a wonderful idea! (your card still has not arrived, what a shame to the post!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so bummbed about that too-maybe I will try once more to see if it will get to you

      Delete
  11. Hello! The seal made it fine on the letter you sent me! Yay! Thank you, by the way-it was wonderful to get your letter-it always is! Loved the recipes above this post....oh my-I need to get cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Debra, awesome!! so happy the seal made it all the way to you in tack-yeah Happy Friday and weekend

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit