Monday, February 7, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Oooops soory I didn't mean to post this til late Tuesday-sorry about that.


Good Morning, and Welcome to Food Wednesdays. 

    A new blogging event where I thought friends could gather and share Food-It's all about the Food so it is up to you what you would like to share about Food.  Doesn't need to be a recipe, although I love reading recipes, It can be photos, restaurants, history of food etc.

   Most of last week we were experiencing a rough winter storm here. Thankful we never lost our electricity as we are not prepared for that here as we were at the woods home. We are into the melting stage this week. So this will all be a memory soon haha

   Last week since I had all of the ingredients, I decided to make homemade lasagna. Comfort food for us. I hadn't made this dish in years so I needed to refresh my memory a bit on the ingredients.

  I always keep Jimmy Dean's sausage on hand in the freezer and I had the Italian sausage I wanted to use.

  So I fried up the sausage first, and then drained it well. To the drained sausage I added a basil-tomato sauce and mixed that together with a big spoon. While doing this I boiled water with a little olive oil added  and added in a box of gluten free lasagna noodles-these were made from brown rice. I cooked them about 3 minutes short of being totally cooked. Drained those. These noodles although carbs heavy were perfect for this dish. They held up well and just seemed to meld with the other ingredients. I got perfect portions that held together well.

  I mixed by hand in a bowl: a container of ricotta cheese, about a cup or so of shredded mozzarella cheese, and I grated fresh parmesan cheese-around 1/2 cup or so. I think the fresh parmesan really upt this dish flavor wise.

 I grabbed another small jar of sauce to layer the bottom first and then add some to the layers as I went along. So sauce on the bottom, the noodles, meat sauce, and cheese, a little more sauce and repeat.

  I have several vintage pans I like to use-so I added parchment paper to the bottom and up the sides first. This is the only photo I took. This was sooo delicious that we had it again the next day, and I froze enough for one more meal.

   


  Last week I also mixed together a batch of gluten free cut out sugar cookies. I grabbed some heart shaped cutters and will roll these out and bake one day this week for us. I hadn't made hardly any Christmas cookies, so I thought why not a batch for Valentine's day?  I will share the baked cookies next week in my Food Wednesdays post.

  Here is the recipe I use-I cut this out of a magazine back in the early 90's along with several other cut out cookies that article had shared. This always turns out so good even with my ingredient changes. The year before I retired (2002) I put together a cookbook, which included allot of my recipes along with friends, family, and co workers. I put together 75 books-all numbered and signed. I gave away allot and also sold about half of them. For me this was an end to a chapter in my life at the time and onward to retirement.



  The changes I made-1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup coconut oil Splenda instead of sugar, Bob's Red Mill gluten free 1-1 flour.  I will mix up a keto frosting for these, using a keto powdered sweetener-it helps to lower the amount of total sugars in the cookie.



Dough all mixed up and now resting in the frig.


Now It is your turn to share your Food Wednesdays Post.  Please use the link to your actual Food Wednesday post and not your blog link thanks.





22 comments:

  1. I need some cookies NOW for my breakfast LOL Love vanilla flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, we love sweets for breakfast too-like pie or cheesecake haha

      Delete
  2. Brown rice - will keep my eyes open for that (though I still have way to much traditional stuff.. but then, I have a brother, right? ;-)...)
    Ricotta cheese - very good idea!
    Hmmm, I´m getting hungry! (07:22 a.m. starting work soon and will likely end up with carrots, apples, egg, duhhhhh).
    If you like I join you with today´s T, but reckon that would be boring.
    Maybe I find time tonight, I did so much cooking when I was out of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's around 1:30am here-can't sleep so I am up reading a book, checking computer before I try to sleep again.
      the brown rice lasagna noodles were really nice in this dish. Yes you were cooking up some good eats-maybe on your days off you can play in the kitchen again

      Delete
  3. Wow that lasagna from brown rice based must be different and good. The Valentines cookies sound delicious. Love is the air. Thank you for inviting me to share it here https://baby-pose.blogspot.com/?m=1#google_vignette
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just cooked today - prepared on Sunday and today threw all in with coconut milk and spices, cooked and eaten in under 30 minutes!
    Oh, hope you find sleep soon, I hate such nights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last time I made lasagna, it took all day. I made my own sauce, then layered everything. I won't be making more anytime soon, that's fpr sure. I think next time I'll buy sauce and add a few herbs, then call it good. I'm into lazy cooking lately. I'll try to join in after this month I'm hosting at AJJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make my own sauce too from our home grown tomatoes and then canned it-also made v8 type juice and canned it the list goes on haha
      There are some really delicious sauces available now I like Classico, and I found an organic one at the local grocery store that is really good too and not expensive. It takes allot of time to make a thick sauce from scratch.

      Delete
  6. That lasagna does look scrumptious! I am really partial to lasagña and most pasta dishes. I am trying to wean myself into eating wholemeal pasta as I have to eat more fibre and also it is good for reducing bad cholesterol. I have started on noodles to begin with but need to get on to other types of wholemeal pasta too. I like to make my own tomato sauce when possible but sometimes due to time I have to used tinned sauce. Thanks for sharing the cookies recipe and not a bad idea to do some for St Valentine's day as Sr P has a really sweet tooth. Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree whole grains are more nutritious for us for sure. we have here lovely tomato sauces in glass jars-I used to make my own too from our garden and then can it. My Larry has a sweet tooth too-Have a good week ahead-hugs

      Delete
  7. That lasagna does look good. Tomato sauce and pasta always makes the best winter meals, don't they? I'll be linking up tomorrow. Hope you're week is going well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was perfect dish for our wintry storm. I had planned on posting this late tuesday and I hit post instead of schedule so that's why it was early

      Delete
  8. I love lasagna and this looks so good. I have linked up. I think this is a good idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you linked up, thank you I Thought this could be fun sharing foods.

      Delete
  9. Lasagne is a favourite in cooler months, I do often substitute aubergine/eggplant for the pasta sheets.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks absolutely delicious. I haven't made a laagna in ages. Must do it again soon. It's really a lot of work, but my friends always say I make it well. I usually make the sauce a day ahead. And as we have no gluten problems, I can use bought pasta sheets. But sometimes I make my own pasta too. And I always use fresh Parmesan too. It makes a lot of difference.
    Now you've made me hungry (and it's only morning)
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, even better with homemade sauce, but I have found some really good sauces in glass jars now.
      this is the first I have used fresh parmesan and I was surprised how much more flavor it has that the shredded in a glass jar.
      you'll have to grab you some breakfast-hugs

      Delete
  11. So many yummy bakes and this is a great way to share recipes too 😁. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit