Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Hello Everyone, and welcome to this week's Food Wednesdays

  I thought I would set this event for a link up event, so we can share food and recipes and such with each other. No rules, just all about the Food, and to be kind to one another. This is a new event, so if you can check back late Wednesday to catch any new link ups, that would be great and hopefully find a new friend as well.

    Last week I shared my favorite sugar vanilla cut out cookie recipe with you, so even though it's past Valentine's day (I do still have some cookies left in our cookie jars) I want to share my cookies along with a keto frosting I have been using with success.

   For my gluten free cookies I grabbed a couple different heart cutters and also my wolf and bison cutter. For the wheat version, I grabbed heart cutters-one larger than the one I used for gluten free, and also two fish cutters.


This vintage board was a wedding present from my brother. I really love it for rolling out cookies especially.






This is the frosting recipe I found online and it works well


  This recipe gave me exactly enough for both batches, it came out perfect for all the cookies. You would only need half the recipe for one batch of cut out cookies.      One could also use half powdered sugar and half keto powdered sweetener. I try to cut down the sugars in a recipe where possible. These keto sweeteners do have a a bit of a different flavor to them so I am thinking next time I may combine with a little powdered sugar.



  Over last weekend I also baked up another crisp. My readers are probably getting tired of reading about my crisps but I like them as I can easily make a gluten free for both of us-instead of baking up two pies with different crusts.

  If you read my T post, I am sharing the same photo again here.


   Here are the ingredients though and the recipe I like to use now

   In this photo you can see the jar that says apple. This is dried apples ground to a powder so I add a teaspoon or so to the topping to add more apple flavor.



   I rinsed the ice off under running cold water before adding these blueberries to the cast iron pan I loved this mostly blueberry crisp with a few apples-will make again for sure.


My changes to the above recipe link:

Filling:
   If I am using apples I place the peeled thin slices into cold water with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice. Then drain them before assembling

  Instead of brown sugar I use coconut sugar, or Swerve brown sweetener, or Splenda or a combination It depends on the fruits I am using.

I do not use salt in my recipes

Instead of cornstarch I use instant tapioca

   Most recipes have you adding the fruit, sweetener, and thickener in a bowl and mix it all together. I don't do that-I layer the fruit, sprinkle the sweetener over the fruit, then sprinkle lightly all over the instant tapioca, and I like to sprinkle over on top the cinnamon or I have a apple baking spice that is really nice. Continue the layers you reach almost to the top.

Topping:
   i change the brown sugar to coconut sugar and/or Swerve brown sweetener
   I omit the salt
     I really like the oat flour in this topping recipe it helps to bind it all together

   These crisps can really be made with most any fresh fruit-fun to play around with different combinations-this is really nice all year round too. 

Now it is your turn to link up your Food Wednesday post-please link up the url to your actual post and not your blog url thank you



14 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, love your spatula!!!! And am back to work....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. soooo happy you are back to work-is it from your last interview?

      Delete
  2. So much yumminess today Kathy. It all looks good. I am curious, what is keto powdered sugar? Is it just sugar with no cornstarch? Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika, no keto sweeteners are something totally different no sugar at all. the keto diet is no sugar at all and very very low carbs. I am not into the diet but I like some of the recipes ideas. there are different ones swerve is a popular one I found this online Allulose, monk fruit, stevia, and erythritol are all keto sweeteners that taste and bake like sugar, without the negative health impacts. I have gone back to baking with splenda again too-it has a few carbs but not much and it works really well in baking.

      Delete
  3. 1/2 and 1/2 are staples in my house. My friend Sally likes to make tapioca, but she starts from scratch to make hers. Both your cookie frosting recipe and your crisp sound wonderful. Sorry I am not able to play this month (as I am sure you know), but I will do so next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 1/2 and 1/2 here too along with a quart of cream to make the ice cream. and I just took out a bag of tapioca to make up the tapioca pudding from scratch too today-we like that and haven't made it in awhile.
      thanks for dropping by, yes this is a busy month for you-no worries

      Delete
  4. I love your work space. It looks perfect for preping foods. The cookies look so good and hey I am in for any kind of crisp. I am so happy you are hosting Food Wednesday. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this big board too-It has a little back on both ends too. thank you so much for sharing your pizza recipe

      Delete
  5. All those delicious looking cookies! I do like your cutters. I really need to buy some new cutters. My supply of cutters have diminished over time and I am down to one! Just a boring circular cutter. I am also going to take into account the advice you have given on how to sweeten desserts without using traditional sugar. I do mostly use brown sugar but am going to try out your other suggestions. I love crumbles (crisps) and the family do too. Happy baking! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both look delicious, the recipe sound interesting especially about dried apples ground to powder to add more apple flavor. Appreciate your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Kathy! I'd love to join your food Wednesdays if i can get my act together.. Do you have a certain theme for each week? Or people just link up whatever recipe they want? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also prefer tapioca to cornstarch. Sometimes I use potato starch too. Both crisp and cookies look so inviting, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom had suggested the tapioca many years ago when I needed a gluten free thickener-I really like it better than a flour

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit