Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Welcome Everyone to Food Wednesdays

    I have always loved cooking and baking in my kitchen, has always been my happy place. In no way am I any sort of chef, but rather just a good home cook where most everything is made from scratch. I have always cooked-baked this way, as I have farm girl roots from my Mom and her Mom. All of us used to have large gardens that we froze-canned-or dried. My Grandma also canned allot of meat too.

   I decided to set up this link up event so friends can gather together and share their love of food too.  So as I have mentioned in the past this is all about the food-no rules just food related posts-you can share a recipe, a cookbook, history of foods, photos, going out to eat at a favorite place anything about food you would like to share.

  This post will be a mix of different things from my kitchen this past week. and I apologize ahead of time for the lack of photos-I need to remember to do a better job of that.

   It's been a rough winter week for this area last week-so I was thinking of comfort foods. I made a big pot of a mixed bean soup one day, that turned out really delicious. 

  I started with a carton of unsalted bone chicken broth then filled the pot half way up with water. I had picked up a mixed bag of soup beans from the Amish store that must have had at least a dozen different beans and lentils. I let that all soak for a couple hours after bringing the pot up to a simmer. I have stopped throwing this water-broth after the soak to keep the nutrients in the soup and not down the drain.     I then put it back on the heat and added handfuls of dried onion and dried soup mix veggies, soup herbs, chives, a little red hot pepper flakes, and black pepper (I don't add any salt when I am cooking) and I remembered that I had sun dried tomatoes and dried mushrooms in my pantry. I bought these awhile back and had not used them yet.

  I soaked a handful of these mushrooms for about an hour, cut off the stems as they were very tough and added to the bean soup along with the soaked water.


   These sundried tomatoes were amazing. I cut them in small pieces, added to the soup, they really swelled up-very tender and delicious but held their shape-thought that was interesting-I loved them and will be using these more often now.  I also added a spicy sausage from the Amish store that I found in my freezer. I cut off the casing-sliced in small chunks, heated through in the skillet and added to the soup pot.


We ended up with a delicious hot soup and I froze the rest to give us 3 meals for later.

   Yesterday I made us a keto cheesecake. I have shared this recipe before, but it is a good one if you are baking without or less sugars  The change I made was to make a crust first-that I slightly baked and then added the cheesecake filling.  This time I overbaked it just a bit-sigh-but this is a really good cheesecake. I use one full fat cream cheese and two of the less fat cream cheese.  My crust was made with a mixture of gluten free crushed graham crackers, ground almond and ground hazelnut, butter, splenda for sweetener Here is a photo of the ingredients.


Below is the keto sweetener I like to use now. This recipe uses confectionary sweetener.

  I have been enjoying hot beverages this week-including hot tea and hot cocoa with marshmallows


I love this large pottery mug, it is handmade. I found a couple of these at a garage sale years ago. These are heavy though


Before I set up the link up for you-views of our lake last week




Now it is your turn  Please link up with the url of your blog post and not the url of your blog site-that way someone that visits later on will be directed right to your Food Wednesday's  post



Also please check back late Wednesdays for any new link ups-thanks

29 comments:

  1. Your soup sounds delicious Kathy. I made bean soup a few weeks ago and I had it for lunch for a couple of weeks. Comfort food is the best during cold wintry weather, isn't it? Thanks for the photo of the keto sugar. I was wondering about that. I have a post ready to go early tomorrow morning so I will be by. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree soups and stews, chili are real comfort foods during a cold winter. you are welcome-I have tried different brands of the keto sweeteners and prefer this brand Swerve I look for larger bags like this one online-mostly amazon for better prices-they are expensive. I have gone back to using splenda to replace the white sugar in baked items-it has always worked well for me and is very very low in carbs and sugars.

      Delete
  2. Tasha Tudor once said that the secret of a long life is soups. I need to share one of her soups here. I like that you do not add salt to your soups. You work wonders with spices. Your mother and grandmother would heartily approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that about Tasha Tudor and I really love soups too.

      Delete
  3. I really love that mug! Now I need to make myself a huge cup of hot tea too..it's cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been drinking allot of tea lately we are back to cold again

      Delete
  4. My grandma canned, too. By golly, Bro and I found canned food from the 70´s!!!! LOL!
    She must´ve forgotten about those.

    I so would love to visit an Amish Store. Weird, they speak German and we have non here in Germany (that I know of).

    Oh, oh, oh. I have such mushrooms, too! Need to come up with something!
    Hi, freezer, here, too! :-)
    Sweets. Hm. I had a piece of chocolate, does that count? Tooth is asleep now.

    Awww, thank you for the lake pics! (And I think you sadly can forget about your card... so sad. The postman must´ve lost it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Iris, yes a piece of chocolate will count as a sweet-hugs I am going to send you another letter and see what happens=I just made some new stationary out of brown wrapping papers. about Amish in Germany and/or Europe I found this online Why are there no Amish in Europe?
      Are there any religious society like the amish in Europe? - Quora. There's a reason why these German religious groups exist in the US and Canada. Most of them in mainland Europe lost their rights between 1900 and 1930, and were later wiped out in WWII if they did not move to the US or Canada.

      Delete
  5. I am not the best cook, Kathy, but I always love reading your food posts. The photo on the lake during the sunrise is STUNNING! Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've been having fun with all those ingredients and the cheesecake sounds delicious 😁. Such lovely earthenware for your hot cocoa too, I always have marshmallows too! Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jo, thank you yes I need marshmallows in my hot cocoa-haha Happy mid week

      Delete
  7. I am so impressed with this meal. I have never seen bagged mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes in our stores. Well, we lack a lot here LOL. There is nothing like a good hot soup or a good cup of coco with marshmallows. I have put out the word for people to join in Food Wednesday. Hope they do. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole I appreciate that very much. I don't remember where I found these dried mushrooms, perhaps at a wal mart store. I have had them since we lived at the woods home and decided to finally use them. The sun dried tomatoes are amazing and I bought them at the link nuts.com I buy several items from them I especially like their nut milks as they are better quality than I have found locally.
      You have an awesome day too-hugs

      Delete
  8. My Grandparents had two huge gardens and i would spend every Summer vacation with them growing up. So we ate out of the garden all Summer... My mom.. not so much ..lol BUT she was a good cook. Me? I do not like to cook... i LOVE to bake however... So i don't bake often for health reasons.. maybe once or twice a month... But when i do i use the full fat and sugar versions.. But i'm always interested to see what you substitute Kathy. I apologize for my anemic entry into you Food world... but i hope to do better... stay tuned! I just need to get back in the habit of taking photos etc... and planning a post.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was brought up that way too-living off of the gardens and putting up the extra in jars or into the freezer.
      thank you for linking up today-I appreciate that-and my husband would love your pulled pork sandwiches. stay warm Happy Food Wednesdays

      Delete
  9. I enjoy soups with beans or lentils. So many different ways you can do that, and all of it tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, so many to choose from and lots of different ways to prepare them too. thanks for dropping by

      Delete
  10. Soups and stews are so good during the cooler months.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! The soup is making me hungry! Your food posts are always fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dry tomatoes, I will give them a try.
    I also don't cook with salt. The amount of salt I see being used on cooking shows makes me cringe. I recently, though, changed my mind about salt when I heard that it helps process, and bring out the flavor for some ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The soup sounds delicious, love mushrooms and dried tomatoes. Happy weekend dear Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit