Friday, February 18, 2022

Cast Iron Saturdays- Skillet Casseroles

    Good Morning, Doesn't feel like it should be the ending of another week-but alas it is.  Another winter blast-again here at the lake with thick ice underneath a thin layer of snow. We are very cold too, until a warm up begins tomorrow. 

   I tried making it up the steps and hill this morning-Not happening, I caught myself from a bad fall, so headed back down to the house.  This is the first year that we have been here at the lake house that it was so difficult to make it up to the mailbox. I will need to wait til I can clear a path later today hopefully. Monday is a no mail day and I have mail that needs to get out. Larry says don't worry about it-well I do-smiles

   Hoping your winter is not as bad, I am very thankful not to have lost our electric, we would be in trouble this winter if we had.

  We are here for Cast Iron Saturdays so enough of winter talk 😉

     I got to thinking about casseroles in cast iron. 

  When I was a kid at home my father wanted absolutely No casseroles period. Only meat potatoes and a veggie. Only time Mom made a casserole was when Dad was working all day on Saturdays. I do like a good casserole once in awhile.

   Larry is not fond of casseroles either, but I do like to make one pot meals in a cast iron skillet. Today I browned a bone in pork steak, seasoned well, and added sliced onions, sweet peppers, fresh garlic slices, a little water, and a can of my own peeled tomatoes. Have the temperature set low on top of the stove and will simmer til our dinner around 2 pm.

  So searching casseroles prepared in cast iron, I discovered that most of what I found are called cast iron skillet dishes, or they add casserole to the title on some of them. 

Twice Baked Potato Casserole  This one is heavy in dairy ingredients



   Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Casserole  this would be easy to change to gluten free and I think this one could be made into vegetarian too-omit the bacon, and substitute other veggies for the chicken


Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs  for gluten free use a gf pasta




I found a low carb gluten free dish-Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole This one sounds really good, uses almond and coconut flours in the crust. I pinned this one to save for later on my gluten free-keto pinterest board. 


and here is a link to lots more of these low carb-keto recipes-most look really good

 I grew up on tuna casseroles-did you? However Mom made it with canned soups etc. Here is one made from scratch The Best Tuna Casserole    and for gluten free change to gluten free-- flour to a gf flour, gf pasta, gf bread crumbs



and while we wait for spring to arrive-and stay-found this link for 100 cast iron recipes for spring I included this link as there are many one skillet meals included also desserts as well.

Happy Cast Iron Saturdays and Happy Friday and weekend


12 comments:

  1. All those casseroles look fabulous and warming for the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awfully yummy Kathy. It is certainly a good time of year for casseroles. I grew up on tuna casserole, but I can't say it's one of those good food memories. MY mom's was always so soft and squishy to eat. Not that it was bad, and I ate it, but I don't feel like I need to make hers at least. Smile. Hope your weather improves. We've had ice for weeks, and had so much that even with rain and warm weather its still there. Have a nice weekend Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here, I would not make a tuna casserole the way my Mom did either.
      Ice is bad-especially here with all the steps than the steep climb up the hill. I need to figure something out for next winter.
      You have good weekend too

      Delete
  3. 100 cast iron recipes for spring sounds like a great link to save. I don't bake many casseroles because of gluten and dairy. We grew up on meat, potatoes and vegetables, all separate and not mixed together. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved that 100 cast iron recipes for spring too-allot of good ideas in there.
      My Mom was brought up that way too, I think my father's upbringing was rather poor so he wanted no casseroles. I make a few skillet meals that we like but they are not really casseroles

      Delete
  4. Oh, boy, don´t fall!
    One winter I broke my foot. Everybody thought I managed to do this outside in the ice and snow.
    It was a carpet in the bedroom that gave way when I turned around the corner, though ;-)

    Chicken and Broccoli, YUM! Mouth watering. I´ll make kale today, the weather is cold enough for that.
    Baked Spaghetti are saved in favs, too.

    Warm tuna makes me gag. I was like 14 and my older cousin baked tuna-pizza (those icky deep fright ones) and gave me vodka, I ... had a bad day and the smell still makes me think of it!

    And then... a friend made a tuna casserole, oh, boy, I ate breathing through my mouth!

    Oh, shoot. Now I want those spaghetti, but Ingo is on the way to buy kale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh ouch a broken foot sounds awful. I did mess up my bad knee from the last ice storm-there is allot of torn cartilage in there along with arthritis-I don't want an operation though. Larry can't walk up the hill any more with his arthritis so I can't get myself hurt.
      I thought those chicken dishes sounded good too. um I don't think I could eat a tuna pizza, actually I have not had a tuna casserole since I was a kid at home. Larry would not eat it.
      I am anxious to see what you make with the kale

      Delete
  5. I was offline since midday yesterday due to an area wide outage at AT&T. Now I'm trying to catch up. That twice baked potato casserole sounds good. I might try that one of these days. Now I'm really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking you may have lost your internet or electric.
      I that one sounded really good too

      Delete
  6. Glad your electricity has stayed on.

    Strange, tuna casseroles were always at church potlucks, but they were never on the menu at home. I made it once from a recipe book. To my surprise, they are rather good. Ghoulish was my mother's go to meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing looking meals. I like tuna casserole but Mr. M. won't touch it soooo once in awhile I make a small one for myself.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit