Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Threading Next Weaving Project

    As you may have read from a few weeks ago, I messed up my knees pretty badly when I carried up several heavy rocks up the stairs and over to the top of that area I was working on-Only way I could get them in place.

   Actually I was more concerned with my lower back then my knees. I am going into the third week at least-I should have wrote on the calendar when I did this.  I have iced them down for at least a week, been careful, delayed grocery shopping a couple weeks ago and that set me back again. Well I am at the point I have to go food shopping again tomorrow-need to go before the busy weekend.  I am quite upset with this set back for my project. I lost two more of my plants too-sigh. The summer heat has been brutal.

  On a good note, my husband has had his helper every day this week so far-they have gotten allot done. Need to weld but it was too windy today, hoping tomorrow they can do that.

   A few days ago I started threading the pattern for my next towel project. Getting it set up, I am realizing these are going to be large towels-there is allot of shrinkage after the first wash with this cotton but they will end up at around 20 inches wide and 30 inches long.  I am not always good at relating figures til I see it.

   I had posted the pattern I am using in one of my weaving groups and several came back and said they had made these and love them. I do remember growing up and hand drying dishes at my Grandparents farm and they always had very large kitchen towels-so that had me smiling. These will be ok

   I do not use a dishwasher-I refuse to and have never owned one til we moved to the lake and there was one here-Have never turned it on or figured out how to use it lol   I never minded washing up dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. I don't hand dry them any more though-I use very hot water and let them dry in the dish drainer. I do enjoy a nice kitchen towel though.

   The first day-after 3 hours of threading I was looking at what I had threaded, and discovered a 2 thread mistake in the very beginning-so I had to take all that out-and start over the next day. This is a bit more complex of a threading pattern than my last towels. Went well yesterday.

  First few photos are taken from the front of the loom where I am threading I love the look of weaving photos-just so organic I guess is the right word for it




This last photo is the back, I tie each section of the pattern and then tie together each pattern set-I need 6 sets all together


Happy Mid week everyone Any plans for Labor Day weekend?  I am looking forward to this being the last very busy weekend til next year May

16 comments:

  1. I also love seeing the loom threaded and ready to go. What a great way to kick off September. I guessed that Labor Day Weekend would be a busy one for the lake. I did some extra shopping just in case some of the family shows up. Top on my list was another one of the "Grown in Missouri" watermelons that Wal-Mart has had for the past few weeks. We think they are the best melons ever! Must be something in the soil. We are hoping that today was the last of the super hot days (Haven't I said that before?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying that too-hope this is the Last super hot day for this summer haha.
      I got a really good watermelon at the amish market-they were home grown at their farms-Haven't got back there. Happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  2. I’ve noticed that working with your weaving, whether setting up or actually weaving cloth, brings you peace. I guess you can rely on that as you heal from the other project that turned out to be too much. Perhaps you can get back to the outdoor work with rocks once you are all better. Your photos are lovely! They harken back to a time when all materials were organic, and they are artfully composed. I can hear and feel the swishing of weaving just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right weaving does make me happy-I need to stop going in other artistic directions lol but I enjoy learning and doing different crafts-arts

      Delete
  3. I still know nothing about your weaving process and am still confused by the photos, even though I enjoy seeing what you are talking about. I am most impressed, even though I don't really understand it. I look forward to seeing these progress.

    BTW, our temps are predicted to go from the 100 plus to the mid 90s over the weekend. Hoping for cooler weather soon. Can't live without my AC! All I'm planning over Labor Day is staying cool! Hope your shopping trip goes without incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had to keep the a/c going too-was expensive for the august bill-that is usually the hottest month. we are getting cooler too lower 90's for the weekend.
      my food shopping trip went well thanks for asking

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your knees. I had surgery on my left knee when I was in 8th grade so I can sympathize with your pain as I've had problems with both my knees ever since. Lately the left s a tendency to feel like something has shifted out of place and then I have a hard time straightening it or walking right away. I find that putting heat on my aches and pains works better to loosen up the muscles around the problem area. The process of such detailed weaving is mind boggling to me. It sure takes a lot of patience to get it all set up. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry about your knees-that is a long time to be careful with your knees. I have been "babying" my left knee for over 20 years now-don't want surgery
      there is a process that needs patience to set up-but then for me the fun is the actual weaving

      Delete
  5. I love seeing these photos of your loom Kathy. It must take a lot of patience to set up a project, but I bet the anticipation of what you will make is exciting. Happy September. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika I am happy you enjoy the photos. I learned it's part of the process-weaving sets up the main pattern first-there is a pattern as we weave too

      Delete
  6. The amount of work it takes to weave is admirable. You must see threads in your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not yet-haha and I have a small loom many thread 45 and more inches wide

      Delete
  7. I do hope your knees will be back to normal soon! I love to see your loom and read about what you're doing but it seems like a new language that I haven't heard before! I don't think I could do this!!! But I sure love the product-hand weaving is gorgeous. We are cool here-finally-just in the 60's and the humidity is much more tolerable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do it-hugs. we are finally a bit cooler too-but still high humidity happy weekend

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your knees! Glad your Hubby got help - haha, my T still waits for his "Ray" - we call workmen like this according to The Simpsons...
    Great new weaving project. I struggle to sew on my summer-Gurri.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit