Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Herbs: Mullein

   Good morning Mid-Week. There was some interest in the mullein plant yesterday on T so I thought I would do a post with some informative links.

   Photos found online




This plant I always thought was a cool plant-no thorns on it, fuzzy leaves, and always loved the little yellow flowers too.  It grows in poor soils and reading more about it yesterday (Tuesday) learned that it has a 2 year life span. Also when foraging for herbs-never over harvest, and also never forage near roads with cars which will contaminate the plants.

    After I was almost finished with this post, I found this article online which is very informative including the history, information on the plant and photos.

  This article  is a nice read. Explains that mullein is a two year plant-first year just a rosette of leaves low to the ground and no flower stalk. She says the first year is the best for harvesting the leaves for lung health  Second year plants then are for harvesting the flowers which can be made into an oil for ear infections.  This infused oil can also be made into a salve for diaper rash, or the oil can be added to handmade soaps. 

   When you are researching any topic including herbs one will find different information. This article is saying to harvest leaves in year two, but to harvest the roots in the first year.  This article has good information and also suggests collecting the roots in the first year or the following spring. Roots need to be washed well and dried. Roots are used as pain medicine especially for the face and jaw.

   In comments yesterday Tammy suggested a video: 

Mulling over Mullein | Benefits and Uses with Yarrow Willard (Herbal Jedi)


  I really enjoyed listening to this herbalist and will be listening to more of his herb videos.

  Years ago when I first started blogging I featured herbs for Herb Thursdays. I enjoyed sharing the information and learned allot in that adventure. 

   A couple years ago I deleted my original blog-as many of my posts were tied to photobucket and when I canceled that-I lost most of my blog photos, was frustrated with that so just deleted it all. Sometimes looking back I wished I would have kept it for all the herb posts.   I may just start that up again 

  Happy Mid week!

11 comments:

  1. Mullein sounds very interesting. We have something that looks similar here, I'll have to check if it's a version of the same herb. Thanks for sharing, have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what countries but this was brought from Europe when the pioneers settled here

      Delete
  2. What a flower, beauty- and useful!
    Yes, please resume herbs as subject!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and article. I had a couple even spring up in my garden this year. They get huge! Thanks for sharing Kathy. I'm late getting by as I was out late yesterday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved this plant for years. For a little while way back, I thought I wanted to be an herbalist, so I had lots of books about them. I'm still intersted in plants. There's so many uses for them. I would love it if you had regular blog posts about herbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not an herbalist either-but also have lots of books and have used many herbs over the years-thanks for your comment, I do enjoy herbs-so we can learn more together

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit