Thursday, September 16, 2021

Cast Iron Saturday-Fall Pies (early)

  Good morning,  I am writing this on Thursday morning-early-and it's our first very cool morning. The fish were jumping in the lake all around in the dark-pretty cool and a clear sky so lots of stars. We are blessed to really enjoy nature here at our lake house. I loved our woods home and do miss it sometimes-but we can enjoy the sky especially from indoors or on the deck here at our new home.

The coolness and now that I have no oven-got me to thinking about fall pies in dutch ovens. Those are always a winner to bring out a pie baked outdoors in your dutch oven-over and under the coals.  As I have mentioned in the past I use a trivet on the bottom of the dutch oven and then place my pie-in pie pan-right on top-less chance of burning on the bottom this way.

This is an interesting way to do the crust-never heard of this before, and this is a good link with lots of information on how to bake it and what apples to choose :

Rustic Skillet Apple Pie

Note: there are lots and lots of different cast iron apple pie recipes online, some with a crumble on top, some baked in individual cast iron pans too-lots on Pinterest

Southern Skillet Pecan Pie

   This one is baked in your cast iron skillet in your oven, but could also be baked in a pie pan in your dutch oven-over and under the coals



Bourbon Pecan Pie w/ Chocolate Cookie Crust

   This recipe looks and sounds delicious-this can easily be baked in a pie pan and inside your dutch oven. Or baked in a skillet in your oven



Skillet Pumpkin Pie w/ Streusel Topping


This sounds like a farm pie for sure-Cast Iron Cherry-Berry-Peach Pie


 Do you have a favorite fall pie??

15 comments:

  1. All those Fall pies are droolworthy. That pecan pie looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie (above) described these pies to a T. I really am dying for a piece of that pecan pie. You'll be needing that oven before the holidays, for sure! There was a bit of dew on the grass this morning - the first in a long while. I am so looking forward to cooler mornings when I can pull on a jacket before heading out over the hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am ready for sweatshirt weather Angie has a food blog you might enjoy

      Delete
  3. These are making me sweet tooth scream with delight. Smile. They do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! Here we have so much light pollution you only see stars in icy cold nights.

    LOL. I craved apple pie, Ingo got vanilly ice cream to add. I think that was in June. Sweet tooth hibernates ever since, it was an over-dose!

    After reading/seeing this it´s half-dead! (Kidding)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the large cities I like that here in the states too-always loved living rural. I don't eat allot of sweets either-but when I make them they are not real sweet and I don't bake with sugar anymore

      Delete
  5. I'm ready for anything PUMPKIN!!! They all look good, though, especially the cherry, berry, peach pie. Odd, because I always/usually prefer cream pies to other kinds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Ekizabeth, I love anything pumpkin too! Larry prefers sweet potato

      Delete
  6. It is lovely isn't it Kathy that the mornings are cooler. I feel as if I can get on with a lot more now I don't feel so hot and tired. All these pies look scrumptious...so tempting! I am wondering if I dare make an apple pie. I have been extra careful with what I eat and reintroducing things slowly so perhaps I could at last have a slice of pie. I would prefer to live much more rural than we do but Sr P is a city boy and he isn't keen but if it were near the beach and not too far from the city he would. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are really enjoying the cooler mornings too. even if gets up to the 90's f we still have the cool air early.
      I would think Mr P would love being near the beach but close to the city-beach views from your windows would be awesome-we so enjoy our lake views

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit